cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tj and 2 motorcycles on a car hauler behind camper.

Nwatkins176
Explorer
Explorer
I posted this in trailers but it was suggested I try here.

Okay my current setup is a 35 ft 5th wheel toy hauler. Behind a 2011 drw Ram. 6.7 diesel Long bed. Was planning on trading in toy hauler for a truck camper. We want to have the jeep and an RV and I am not a fan of triple tow. Now planning 2017 road trip we want to have our motorcycles and Jeep with us.

Plan was to get between a 10-11 foot camper with one slide, then put jeep and bikes bikes on a car hauler. Bikes are a Harley low rider s and a sportster. So about 1100 pounds together. I current have a 16 foot car hauler but I don't think I can get both bikes on there with the jeep safely, so I was thinking about selling it and getting a 20 foot open hauler. I was planing on putting both bikes on the front of the trailer and jeep behind them.

Trailer will probably be two 3500 pound axles.

My truck weights are as follows assuming I have 4:10s
Payload 4720
Max trailer. 21,000
Gcvw: 29000

I am aware I need a special hitch to extend past the camper, but wanted to ask if my plan sounds correct. What do you all think? It's a lot of moving parts I know. Thanks for your help.
53 REPLIES 53

Bedlam
On my enclosed trailer, I upgraded from LRD to LRE tires. Not so much because of any problems, but just more weight reserve and hopefully longer tread life.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had pretty good luck with the 3,500# brakes. My main problem has been the sorry tires that come on 3,500# axles. I now have replaced all my C-rated (50 psi)tires with Maxxis D-rated (65 psi) tires and I hope they will be a big improvement.
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

Tom_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
BradW wrote:
Jaxom wrote:
I would also get 5,000 lb. axles. Beefier trailer & better brakes.

We tow our TJ on an 18' trailer with 3,500 lb axles. I wish I had upgraded to 5k axles/tires. Doesn't cost much if you order it that way.

When I bought my car trailer, it was pretty much all I could afford. I thought the 7000lb. capacity would be plenty, but I eventually upgraded to 6000lb. axles, mostly for the better brakes. I really wish I had just bought a heavier duty trailer to begin with. It would have been cheaper in the long run.

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:
Seriously though, it would be nice if people wouldn't assume that there is only one solution for each problem, right? 🙂

On the internet, the best solution to any problem is always how I did it. 🙂
Wake Up America

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
deltabravo wrote:
Forget the 3500 lb axles.
Go with a 10k capacity trailer.

Definitely with a TJ and two big bikes and whatever else ends up on the trailer.
Wake Up America

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jaxom wrote:
I would also get 5,000 lb. axles. Beefier trailer & better brakes.

We tow our TJ on an 18' trailer with 3,500 lb axles. I wish I had upgraded to 5k axles/tires. Doesn't cost much if you order it that way.
Wake Up America

Nwatkins176
Explorer
Explorer
Do you use airbags? Think I need weight distribution if I use bags?

Beau_Bo
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW I have an Eagle Cap 960 (4.5K lbs wet) with an overhang that requires a 42" hitch extension on my 3500 DRW. I'm using a Superhitch with Supertruss extension. On my car hauler (heavy LJ about 900 tongue weight)I have an Anderson weight distro hitch. This setup pulls nicely, doesn't seem to unload the front end. The Anderson WDH is easy to hook up. It wasn't cheap to get this all put together but it handles great and isn't much trouble. I'd do this setup again, no questions.
2016 EC 960; 2016 RAM 3500 DRW CTD; Superhitch w/42" Ext; 2006 Jeep LJ Rubicon w/16' carhauler

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
burningman wrote:
1000 pounds on a crazy 4' hitch extension won't lift the front tires off the ground while parked but when you hit the right dip, it'll certainly unload them enough to make it slide.
Those things just aren't safe.

Can't tell if you are serious or not. 😉

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
1000 pounds on a crazy 4' hitch extension won't lift the front tires off the ground while parked but when you hit the right dip, it'll certainly unload them enough to make it slide.
Those things just aren't safe.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

sonuvabug
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
burningman wrote:
The only reason people use crazy extensions is because it's a ready-made bolt on solution.

No it isn't. I weighed the plusses and minuses of ALL options when I first wanted to tow while hauling a TC and I came to a totally different conclusion than you did. I don't WANT to crawl under the camper overhang to mess with the hitch. I don't WANT to add a dropped section to the tongue of my trailer just so it won't hit the camper. You apparently find all of this to be worth the trouble and expense. I don't, get over it. I however, am not going to insinuate that you're crazy to do what you want with your stuff. The proof that hitch extensions work is that so many are using them with good results. That's called empirical evidence.

The nice thing about a properly setup extension is that once you have one, you can tow many trailers. YOU can only tow a trailer with an extended tongue. We are both satisfied with our chosen means of achieving the same end. Be happy with that.

Jaxom wrote:
Okay, okay. We get it.
You wish everybody would make tongue extensions for themselves.
If you could pass a law requiring "no more receiver extensions" you would.

Thank you! I was wondering if I was the only one that that was thinking that. :R Discussing options is what this forum is good for. Making snide remarks about other members adds nothing to the discussion, and reflects poorly on those who engage in it.

:):)

I too looked at various options and decided on a hitch extension. In fact, mine was not a "ready made" solution but a custom made solution to fit my needs. To each their own.
2007 Adventurer 90fws Truck Camper
2001 FORD F250 SuperCab; 8' box; 4x4, 7.3l diesel, rear Sumo Springs

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
It is a drw. The original dana 70 dually rear axle has been replaced with a stouter dana 80. I probably didn't have enough air in the bags when that photo was taken.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Hemi Joel wrote:

I also prefer the extended tongue method. The above pic is my current setup. The Arctic Fox 1150 is a very roomy camper with a long rear overhang, but does not hang down low so it provides good clearance for the tongue. I had this trailer built with an extended tongue, and I had it mounted low. In combination with a dropped hitch, there is no clearance issue. I am careful to avoid entrances with dramatic slope changes that could cause a problem.

This is my second enclosed trailer like this, the first one I had extended by a welding shop.
The first camper I used was a Lance, and it hung down lower, so I had a bunch of 2 x 6's under it to raise it 1.5".

I also ran it with a Real-Lite 10.5' camper, and that was in between the AF and the Lance as far as clearance.

One observation I have made in the last 100,000 miles of driving this truck with the camper on it, is that the fuel mileage is exactly the same whether I am towing the enclosed trailer, an open trailer, or nothing at all.

I would recommend that you consider an enclosed trailer. It keeps your stuff more clean and safe.

Another thing, when you get into these heavier trailers, you don't need the old rule of 10% tongue weight. 5% is plenty, and is less stressful on your equipment, and rides and handles better.

Is that a dually truck ?, pic looks like its a SRW, and that really sits low on the hitch, if its a SRW truck I thinks you are over loading the tires..

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
HEHEE. I typed a response, but it won't post. SO I typed a little test message and it worked.

OK, I got it to load, finally. but I had to cut it down.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.