cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

to cover or not to cover

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a KZ TT with a metal roof that gets used every other week from April - November.

We live in middle TN.

My question is; should I buy a cover and cover it in between trips?
I'm concerned about the sun beating down on the camper all day. KZ says the camper is made to withstand the elements.

Seems covers like Adco would be a pain in neck to put on and take off.Also we live on a hill where it fets pretty windy at times, so I'm concerned about damage from the cover due to wind.

What do you folks do, cover no cover?? An RV port isn't an option right now.
27 REPLIES 27

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
Lots of opinions here. If it were me I would not cover if using every other week. When it does come time to cover I suggest using a high grade tarp with half full milk jugs of water hung on bungee cords to almost eliminate wind flap. Also make a set of two poles with hooks on top so you can easily lift tarp and pull from tront to rear while on the ground. We did this until we could afford a metal canopy. Best of luck

You must not get much wind in your area.
Presently, because of a leak, I have a tarp over the top of our Southwind. On each side I have five, 5 gallon buckets filled with bricks and water.
The wind lifts and moves the buckets.

Hanging milk jugs partially filled with water wouldn't hold it down. But, they would turn into sledge hammers when they freeze. :E

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
A tarp is a VERY BAD IDEA. They trap moisture and can scuff in the wind. A cover will keep your TT clean. The wind will not tear it to shreds if you install it correctly, and check on it once in a while. It will breathe and not cause mildew.

It's really up to you how often you use it. I use mine for winter storage only, and keep up on removing debris on the roof with a blower or hose. Waxing goes a long way. Deploy the awning every once in a while to allow it to dry out. Moisture is wicked inside which causes mildew.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of opinions here. If it were me I would not cover if using every other week. When it does come time to cover I suggest using a high grade tarp with half full milk jugs of water hung on bungee cords to almost eliminate wind flap. Also make a set of two poles with hooks on top so you can easily lift tarp and pull from tront to rear while on the ground. We did this until we could afford a metal canopy. Best of luck
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
I have a free cover to give away if anybody wants it.

Kind offer but not too useful without including the size of the cover. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
Metal carport you can drive under

Did you not read what the OP wrote? :R

"What do you folks do, cover no cover?? An RV port isn't an option right now."

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
tnrv'er wrote:

Seems covers like Adco would be a pain in neck to put on and take off.

Yes they are.

I did it once for 4 months down time and would NEVER consider doing it every other weekend. Never.

In my case, the cover ended up with a few thin spots/holes due to wind and I doubt I'll ever use it again.

I have a free cover to give away if anybody wants it.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Metal carport you can drive under
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
tnrv'er wrote:
We have a KZ TT with a metal roof that gets used every other week from April - November.

Curious as to which year / model of KZ you have as KZ for years used a TPO roof membrane, still does AFAIK.

We live in middle TN.

My question is; should I buy a cover and cover it in between trips?
I'm concerned about the sun beating down on the camper all day. KZ says the camper is made to withstand the elements.

Seems covers like Adco would be a pain in neck to put on and take off.Also we live on a hill where it fets pretty windy at times, so I'm concerned about damage from the cover due to wind.

What do you folks do, cover no cover?? An RV port isn't an option right now.

I've always used an ADCO cover on any trailer we've owned that couldn't be stored indoors but only for winter storage as it's just too much work to put on and take off during the camping season. Of course recreational vehicles are built to be outside but that doesn't mean any won't benefit from any additional protection you can offer, be it a garage, barn, carport, underground parking, etc. Unfortunately those aren't practical options for many of us so a breathable cover is the next best option. ADCO does offer Top Covers that would be a lot easier to install and remove than a full cover yet offer roof protection.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I cover our Southwind during the winter.
We get a lot of winter wind, I have never had any damage from the cover rubbing.

It's not difficult to install, at least for me. I wouldn't install the cover for a few weeks. Keep your rig clean and waxed, you'll be okay.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For previous posts on this popular subject search this Forum for `rv cover' then search the results for `sunshield' which is what we use when not camping.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For previous posts on this popular subject search this Forum for `rv cover'. I think most RVers think of the covers that envelope the entire outer surface of the RV. The pictures look nice but I can't imagine how difficult it must be to install it, remove it and store it.
We use a Sunshield tarp that covers the entire roof and overlaps part of the sides, front and back depending on the size of the tarp that is used.
We hold it down with ropes connected to old boat fenders half filled with sand. The sand provides weight and the vinyl material does not scratch. The ropes are long enough so that the fenders (some call them bumpers) hand down below the gelcoat surface.
Removing it is easy. Just disconnect the fenders and pull it down. We stretch it out on the lawn and fold it up like the sailors do the mainsail, accordian style and bundle it.
Putting it on requires me to get on the roof, pull the bundled tarp up via a rope and unfold the accordian bundle front to back. It takes about 15 minutes.
In the winter we put the black side up to absorb heat and in the summer put the silver side up to reflect heat.
Not sure how many more years my Wife will allow me to climb on the roof (age 77) but it works for now.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
I tend to agree, no cover. Is it on a seasonal site or at home?

As long as you reseal the roof every season I think you should be fine no cover. Maybe cover during the off season but that's it.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Covers and wind, not a good idea!

On/off, yes a big job!

In your case, I'd say no cover.

Jerry