cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

To Toll or not to Toll

TCdude
Explorer
Explorer
I got my hands on free 4 days worth of Disney tickets for the family, so plans have changed and we are going to Orlando from Minneapolis, MN using the TC instead of Zion NP :(. Now when I plan my trip I see two routes.

1. With tolls 250+ miles less
or
2. No Tolls- 250+ miles more

Since its about a $80 difference in gas...do I go the toll route as it wont cost as much or go the no toll route to avoid the hassle.

What are all your thoughts? do you normally go out of the way to avoid tolls? What do I need to know about tolls in IL and IOWA?

Thanks for your time!
02 GMC 3500 Auto DRW RWD 4.10
2003 Lance 1130 - ROTTEN and Gone
1997 Bigfoot 10.6
30 REPLIES 30

2oldnslow
Explorer
Explorer
JoeChiOhki wrote:
TCdude wrote:
A little more info.
It looks like the only toll areas I'll be hitting are in IL and IOWA. I'm using the Trip planner from Good Sam Club website which has the option of no toll or toll route.

to avoid tolls in IOWA and IL it say go down 35 all the way from Minneapolis to Des Moines -->80 East to 74S around Peoria, IL, then south on 155/55 to St.Louis -64S to 24 to Nashville

When not avoiding Tolls its telling me go south thru Rochester MN on 52 to 63 to Cedar Rapids IOWA south on 218 basically to St. Louis.then 64 E to 24 South to Nashville.

After nashville both routes appear to be the same minus a small spot in Atlanta

Since we are doing a smokey mountain tour on the way home it has us going all the way to chicago thru wisconson for the toll route and going back through Iowa via 80W and 35N for the no toll route.

Anyone done these routes? is there better trip planning tools online?

Illinois Toll Roads suck, period.

When did Iowa get toll roads? The last time I was up that way (2013) I didn't see any. Illinois and Kentucky are another story.
2005 GMC 2500HD
1998 Lance 845
320AHr Battery Bank
400W Solar Array
Morningstar ProStar 30 PWM Controller
NovaKool R5810 5.8cf 12VDC Refridgerator (best mod ever!)

realter
Explorer
Explorer
DELTA OR SOUTHWEST

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
Wow, no way no how I would go to Disney World FL over the Desert Southwest and Zion. You just could not pay me enough to stand in long lines with major crowds. Best of Luck to you.

Kids need a mixture of entertainment. I took mine to National Parks, Walt Disney World, zoos, etc. Coast to coast.

Now taking the grand kids. 2 years ago we went to Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Yellowstone, Dinosaur, etc.

This year it is WDW followed up with a Disney Dream Cruise. The kids and grand kids are EXcited!!

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
TCdude wrote:
A little more info.
It looks like the only toll areas I'll be hitting are in IL and IOWA. I'm using the Trip planner from Good Sam Club website which has the option of no toll or toll route.

to avoid tolls in IOWA and IL it say go down 35 all the way from Minneapolis to Des Moines -->80 East to 74S around Peoria, IL, then south on 155/55 to St.Louis -64S to 24 to Nashville

When not avoiding Tolls its telling me go south thru Rochester MN on 52 to 63 to Cedar Rapids IOWA south on 218 basically to St. Louis.then 64 E to 24 South to Nashville.

After nashville both routes appear to be the same minus a small spot in Atlanta

Since we are doing a smokey mountain tour on the way home it has us going all the way to chicago thru wisconson for the toll route and going back through Iowa via 80W and 35N for the no toll route.

Anyone done these routes? is there better trip planning tools online?

Illinois Toll Roads suck, period.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Bedlam
Many of our destinations give us a choice of toll bridge or ferry instead of driving around large bodies of water. I figure $.50/mi as minimal cost to drive and then factor in time and scenic value of each route.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
TugCE wrote:
For what's worth, Easy Pass (from some states) now works with the Florida SunPass System. My BIL is from Buffalo and his Easy Pass worked when he was on the Florida Turnpike.
Sorry, EZPass does NOT work on SunPass! The feds are pushing for compatibility between tolling systems, but SunPass is only compatible with several other Florida regional toll authorities such as the Miami, Tampa, and Orlando toll expressways, North Carolina's toll road near Raleigh, and Georgia's Peach Pass. EZ Pass, which is found on roads in the Northeast and other areas, is NOT compatible with SunPass and SunPass cannot be used on EZPass roads. Sorry!
Where you can us EZPass and where you CAN'T
SunPass statement on EZPass compatiblity
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

TCdude
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the feedback and thoughts! I post some pictures when we get back.
02 GMC 3500 Auto DRW RWD 4.10
2003 Lance 1130 - ROTTEN and Gone
1997 Bigfoot 10.6

delosholly
Explorer
Explorer
I cannot speak to the northern part of your trip, but once in Florida you can exit I-75 at exit 329, go east on 44 until you reach 27 South. Stay on that and exit onto 192 East. That avoids the Florida toll road and is not too bad a drive.
Delos & Holly
2013 Camplite Truck Camper 10.0
2014 Ram 2500 Reg SRW LB
2012 Burgman 650

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
You can't turn back the clock, their only little once.

Bonesquatch
Explorer
Explorer
First off, my condolences on your unfortunate trip to that horrible purgatory of a place instead of one of the most beautiful places on the planet. If it was me, I'd tell the family adios and hit the road in the opposite direction post haste.
We lived in Western Springs for 4 years and used to drive to the Keys each spring using regular old highways.
As to your question, I never use toll roads. On principal alone. In at least some cases, the money goes to foreign companies or investment groups that have no interest in our nation's infrastructure or well being. My taxes pay for public roads and highways, so by Zeus, I use them.
"That's just...like...your opinion...man..."--The Dude
2012 Chevy 2500 HD
2012 Lance 850

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Taking I94 from Minneapolis to I39 down to I74 to I57 you only have two tolls on I39-90 from the Wisconsin Illinois state line to Rockford. With this route you avoid Chicago traffic and many tolls $'s. I wouldn't bother with an IPASS unless you plan on many eastern trips. After 30 years in Chicago Western suburbs I57 was our preferred route South to Florida. Less traffic than I65 avoid Indianapolis and Louisville.
Another option which would avoid tolls would be I35 south to US18 to US218 down I380 to I80 to I74 to I57 no tolls till you reach Florida.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
For what's worth, Easy Pass (from some states) now works with the Florida SunPass System. My BIL is from Buffalo and his Easy Pass worked when he was on the Florida Turnpike.
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
exhaustipated wrote:
hikerdmb wrote:
Zion will always be there. Your daughter will only be six once. Sometimes you have to take one for the team (daughter). Good dad. Take the toll road.

X2 - This sums it up nicely.

This is the great advice I believe in, as a parent too. My kids grew up on National Parks and still doing it, as adults. But, a trip to Disneyland/World, Universal and a host of Roller Coaster parks around the country just cements the fact you are a terrific dad that can think about what your kids might enjoy too. It is always good to find out what the group wants to do, once in a while too. While we did a family Backpack trip every year, from when they were first born through high school, I know that they enjoyed the Amusement parks and stopping in for a pool or stream to swim in, along the way.

I vote, take the shortest and easiest route. I am sure you don't have all the time in the world, like I do now, so if you can save time traveling, do so. One thing I always recommend with young kids on long road trips. Keep a surprise package to give them each day, along the route.

Have a great time and tell, Mickey Hi for me, too!

b

Plus, I have gotten huge miles out of the photo posted below, that I took of my son at Disneyland more than 20 years ago. (I used it as the cover photo for the invitations for his college graduation party, too.) Right after he learned he couldn't go on a ride with his older sister. He was just too young. In two weeks, he is off to Nicaragua. So he and my daughter didn't get too ruined missing a National Park, once in a while. Go make memories! You never know what you might find useful for black mail in the future.

08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
I hate tolls. I'll avoid them if possible. If it will save me a couple hours time and fuel from not sitting in traffic, I'll begrudgingly do it.
Just to rant a little. You already pay fuel tax. Tolling is like double taxation. Not to mention since I drive a truck, sometimes with a camper on it, that loves fuel, I pay more than the average driver in fuel tax and licensing fees and so do you fellow TCers.
This time of year, Disney World is uncrowded and you can camp in their campground. I went there in 1995 just before the Daytona 500 and it was great.