cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Top bunk access

EagleScout-USA
Explorer
Explorer
Just pulled a new Jayco 26BHS off the lot today! Wondering what people are using to access the top bunk. I have double over double bunks in the rear with corner access to the bunks. There is no ladder, or hand grabs for that matter. Suggestions?
10 REPLIES 10

SailAndPaddle
Explorer
Explorer
I have that trailer and my 6 year old son somehow thrusts himself up there. He's tall but sometimes needs a boost.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on the Camping World ladder. It was kind of expensive at $60 but is super nice. I did have to cut it down a bit. I used a steak knife since I was out camping and didn't have a hack saw with me. That was pretty much the end for that knife but it came out great.

I've had my TT since my kids were first born and having no way for them to access the top bunk was actually nice (the whole what goes up must come down thing :)). They finally got old enough to climb up/down safety.

Whitehawkmn
Explorer
Explorer
Whitehawkmn wrote:
I had the same problem, I searched on this website and the Jayco owners website and found a great design that was simple and took about 1/2 hour to make. I used 2X2's for the rails and dowels for the ladder rungs. looks great and now the kids don't have to climb the bunks like gorillas.

This is the pattern that I followed from the other website:

Here is the material from a previous post in this forum from another member that they posted.

Total Height = 51 1/4" (including 1/4" felt pads on the feet)
Total Width = 10"
Rung Width = 7"
Sides = 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" square fir (labelled as 2x2 though...but it's not!)
Rungs = 1" Hardwood round dowel
First Rung = 21 1/4" from floor
Second Rung = 31 1/4" from floor
Third Rung = 41 1/4" from floor

Use a 1" forstner bit to drill your holes, can do 1" depth into each side. Very strong!
Also, round over your outside top corner.
Check your height. It may differ slightly from trailer to trailer. I kept the top flush with the top edge to help avoid any clothing snags or injuries.
All purchased from home depot in the trim/moulding section.

Whitehawkmn
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem, I searched on this website and the Jayco owners website and found a great design that was simple and took about 1/2 hour to make. I used 2X2's for the rails and dowels for the ladder rungs. looks great and now the kids don't have to climb the bunks like gorillas.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
krobbe wrote:
Camping World sells Bunk Ladders..
I have one that I cut to size. Very sturdy. I didn't permanently attach it so it can be easily moved. I glued foam rubber to the underside of the hooks so it doesn't tear up the fake wood finish on the bunk.

Same here. Although I didn't buy at CW, that ladder looks the same and has brackets the ladder connects to when it is being used so it doesn't move. I remove it and lay it on the bunk mattress where it stays while TT is being transported. It is solid construction, light weight and does not move.
I love me some land yachting

Lokin4deer
Explorer
Explorer
bluie5 wrote:
I made a ladder out of PVC with wooden dowels inside. I think I found idea on Google. I painted it to match the interior colors. 100 pound son uses it with no problem.

Thats funny I made mine out of PVC with threaded rod inside. I found the idea in my head! LOL:B
2003 2500 Dodge CTD 48RE 3:73 LSD
2007 Heartland Trailrunner T2700bhs

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
Camping World sells Bunk Ladders..
I have one that I cut to size. Very sturdy. I didn't permanently attach it so it can be easily moved. I glued foam rubber to the underside of the hooks so it doesn't tear up the fake wood finish on the bunk.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

bluie5
Explorer
Explorer
I made a ladder out of PVC with wooden dowels inside. I think I found idea on Google. I painted it to match the interior colors. 100 pound son uses it with no problem.
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I took two small blocks of 2x4 and screwed them into the plywood base under the mattress. I had my kids put there arms up like they wanted to pull themselves up, and that told me right where to screw them down. Adjustable as the grow too!

Works well, cheap and can't be felt through the mattress.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Grab bars and a ladder is my suggestion!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!