cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow capabilities

adamstee
Explorer
Explorer
My 2009 GMG Yukon XL Denali (with factory tow package) is rated for 7900 lbs.
If I adhere to weight restrictions and weight distribution upgrades, can I safely tow a trailer with a 7,038 lbs. dry weight? Thanks
22 REPLIES 22

blt2ski
LITEPHIL wrote:
I wouldn't. Every trailer I have bought new went straight down to the scales and every one was at least 400 lbs over the sticker and a couple were closer to 600 over.

How many of those trailers had dealer add-ons? Like an awning, roof top AC, larger addition LP tanks or batteries, generator......

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't. Every trailer I have bought new went straight down to the scales and every one was at least 400 lbs over the sticker and a couple were closer to 600 over.
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

tim1973
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced our mounts last year.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
^True story.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
If you're breaking things on a regular basis, wouldn't that be an indication that the tow vehicle is NOT suitable for what you're using it to pull?

I'm all for pushing the numbers but things should not be breaking.

Most GM trucks of this era break motor mounts relatively often. Weโ€™ve changed them for others too. Many of these trucks with 130k plus a thousand probably have broken motor mounts. But yea, my friends are breaking way too often.

Chinamart is to blame. Not his Suburban.

Thanks!
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you're breaking things on a regular basis, wouldn't that be an indication that the tow vehicle is NOT suitable for what you're using it to pull?

I'm all for pushing the numbers but things should not be breaking.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sure thing. Just tow slow and deliberate.

If you saw what my buddy tows โ€œall the timeโ€ with his 2011 Suburban it would make many keyboards melt here. ๐Ÿ˜‰

We are getting pretty good at replacing motor mounts. I suppose you will to.

Drivers side motor mounts are weak on these trucks and I guess yours is probably broke right now if you are over 130k miles OR tow heavy often.

Yea, I swore mine wasnโ€™t broke either. I was wrong.

Have fun, set the hitch up right. Firm up the tires, get better shocks and struts and enjoy the ride.

Dialed in set up with my Zinger and my 2011 Tahoe that โ€œcanโ€™t tow nothingโ€

WD hitch not set up right at all on this pic

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

tim1973
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
I had a 2011 Yukon Denali XL, and used it to tow a 7000 pound boat. Engine and transmission temps always ran high (would go over 240* in the mountains), and I never felt comfortable with the stability of the rig (read as the boat would push the SUV around). It was ok to tow at 65 MPH, but at 70, it would wander some. I never felt safe above 70 (which can make it tough to pass on a 2-lane road).

If you don't have mountains, and are using a WDH, you will likely be ok, but not ideal.

I currently run a 2011 Yukon Denali, pulling a 7200lb trailer. I live on the coast so no mountains. It does it, but it does tax the mechanics. Ive upgraded both the stock radiator and transmission cooler. Ive also installed a set of timbren helpers in the back, to give the air suspension some help. Ive been camping for a long time, had many different tow vehicles...both 3/4 and 1/2 ton.

Guess it all boils down to risk vs reward, the 3/4 ton will always tow better sure. But in my case, its more than just a tow vehicle, its a DD. So the other 95% of my driving I have to deal with the 3/4 ton beast. Good Luck!

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is always better to use the trailer GVWR and 10-12 percent of that for hitch weight. I do not think it is the right TV or trailer.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2011 Yukon Denali XL, and used it to tow a 7000 pound boat. Engine and transmission temps always ran high (would go over 240* in the mountains), and I never felt comfortable with the stability of the rig (read as the boat would push the SUV around). It was ok to tow at 65 MPH, but at 70, it would wander some. I never felt safe above 70 (which can make it tough to pass on a 2-lane road).

If you don't have mountains, and are using a WDH, you will likely be ok, but not ideal.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Wishin
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer is less than 6k dry but is close to 8k loaded. One reason I have decided to stay with my 2003 Suburban is that the 2007+ versions can only handle 1000 max tongue weight. My trailer tongue is in the 1200-1300 lb range anytime I have weighed it.

Mine is a 2500 model and it tows nicely. Very stable. I would be willing to give it a try with a 1500 model, but I would likely go over GVWR and rear axle ratings. It makes sense to target a lighter trailer. Maybe a loaded weight of 6500 which should keep your tongue weight under 1,000 lbs.
2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'd be looking for something in the 7000lb GVWR range.

Also, worth taking the truck down to the CAT scale and find out what payload you've already used. Some of the big SUVs have so much stuff bolted on, they can eat up a lot of payload before you even load people and gear let alone hitch weight. Try to take it in with people and gear loaded as if you were going to hitch up the trailer.

Then with actual axle weights, you can check against the trucks ratings to see what you have available.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

APT
Explorer
Explorer
7k dry TT means:

8000-8500 pounds loaded
1000-1200 pounds of tongue weight

I expect your Yukon would be exceeding the GVWR, GCWR, receiver rating, and rear axle rating when loaded up with people inside and TT connected. You have a lot of power and a good transmission. Suspension is your weakest link based on ratings when it was new. Towing with anything 10+ years old will depend far more on condition and how it was maintained.

I recommend sticking to around 6k dry TT for most half tons because of all the other ratings besides manufacturer tow rating.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
I would, if I didnโ€™t have a bigger tow rig or a smaller trailer. But if you have to ask, Iโ€™d say no, because you donโ€™t have a lot of experience towing and a 4 ton high profile trailer is about all that Burb will want.
Also depends on distance, geography and frequency.
Couple short tips to the state park in โ€œhomeโ€, wherever that is, provided itโ€™s flat and low altitude, sure.
Couple trips a month through the Rockies, Blue Ridge or Sierras, or cross country runs, youโ€™ll be runnin that Burb real hard.
Mostly drivetrain and suspension. The LS3 has good power and is a good towing engine.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold