cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tow vehicle and everyday driveability question

crimecrusher
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 WhiteHawk Jayco 28’ that is about 5800 dry and I guess may max is around 7000 fully loaded. I currently tow with a 2011 F150 5.0 with HD towing package and drive around 20k miles a year with 5-7k of that towing miles.

My truck seems to pull this fine and I get around 7-9 mpg towing and 16-17mpg around town not towing. I tow in the flat lands of Texas primarily, but am going to Colorado this summer and may do more of that in the future. My gas mileage is not great and I get a good portion of sway on the highway. If I can keep things around 60mph, it tows a lot better. I don’t have any plans to upgrade to a bigger TT for the next 4-5 years. In about 5 years, I’ll look at a 5th wheel and go bigger truck then.

I’ve been planning to get a 2015 F150 later this winter when they come out but upgrade to the Ecoboost and 4x4. Should this be fine or would I be better served to go ahead and get an F250 4x4 now before my 2000 mile trip to the mountains of Colorado this summer? Would an F250 gas or diesel not be cost effective for everyday driving and towing?
43 REPLIES 43

AirForceAngler
Explorer
Explorer
Like many others have said, if you're planning to get a 5er in the future, why get another 1/2 ton now? You will not see any better mileage with the ecoboost than you are getting now towing so there will be no savings at all. If you're planning on getting a new truck, step up to a 3/4 ton now and be done with it.
2013 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4x4 iForce 5.7
2014 Grey Wolf by Forest River 26BH TT

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
If there is the possibility of a fiver in your future then go with the ¾ ton.

I was at an RV show looking at TTs, I asked two the dealers if my ½ ton could be beefed up to tow one of their fifth wheels. Both dealer shook their heads and say “Don’t waste your time”.

I have an eco-boost, F-150, super cab, 4x4 and tow a 5000 lbs. 26 foot Dutchmen Lite. I like the combination and I get 9.5 to 10.0 mpg at 60 mph.

Anything bigger I would opt for an F-250.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

crimecrusher
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a little surprised that most seem to say the F250 is the way to go, which is what I've been considering. However, the $10k premium over a F150 with similar options is a big pill to swallow. If I go F250, the next question seems to be gas or diesel. Most research on that just turns into a rant of people justifying what they purchased. With diesel costing 50 cents a gallon more and the $8k upgrade at purchase...it doesn't win the argument hands down.

As far as adjusting my WDH, I've just adjusted it so the trailer is level when hooked up to the TV. Should I do this another way?

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Speedogomer wrote:
With its aluminum construction being much lighter than the current model, the 2015 F-150 should have a significant increase in fuel economy.

However if you're just comparing 5.0 to Ecoboost, you won't see much difference in fuel economy. I have 3 different friends and family with Ecoboost F-150s and none of them get more than 15mpg average, and no better while towing than you get now. The biggest advantage of the Ecoboost is power, not fuel economy. If you are very light of the pedal, the Ecoboost will get great mileage, but step on it at all, and those turbos are sucking alot of air, negating much benefit of a smaller displacement.

One of my family members traded his Ecoboost F-150 for a hemi Ram 2500, without that much difference in fuel economy for him.

I agree that fuel mileage is not the selling point of the Ecoboost. However, I am beating your three friends in that department. Lifetime (mixed driving and some towing, over 5,000 miles) I'm at 16.9mpg. In a 1,000 miles of my work commute, without towing, I average right at 19mpg. Not bad for this kind of power in a 3 ton 4x4. It is getting just better than my old Chevy V8, and making twice the power!

It will also tow my TT at 60mph in 6th gear at 1600rpm. Much more relaxed. Even pulling a 6% grade it drops to 5th at 2000rpm. I used to do that same hill screaming at 4000rpm and loosing speed.

If I get long term reliability out of the ecoboost, it will turn out to be one hell of a truck. If...
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
e-light wrote:
Go with the F250, Ram 2500 or GM 2500 for your next purchase. It'll tow your current trailer much better and you'll be able to get the 5th wheel when you're ready.
X2

OP wrote:
In about 5 years, I’ll look at a 5th wheel and go bigger truck then.
If you bought the bigger truck now, you will have most likely paid for it by the time your ready tio upgrade the TT to a fiver.

That's my plan at least.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd drive the '11 for two more years and reassess my mission at that time.

If you can, pull your foot off the gas and see what it does for mileage and stability. Think of it as a vacation for your leg. The difference in gas used between the F250 and an F150 for 15K miles a year isn't that much. I like my F250, it does pretty much everything I want it to do and has been reliable.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
Go with the F250, Ram 2500 or GM 2500 for your next purchase. It'll tow your current trailer much better and you'll be able to get the 5th wheel when you're ready.
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Laramie, 6.7L Cummins
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
GONE:
2014 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
While we would all like a dedicated TV, most of us have to live with a TV for everyday use.

As a rule the bigger the TV, the greater the cost of routine repairs and the higher the initial cost.

How much overkill you need in a TV is a personal opinion, there is no wrong answer.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Javi1
Explorer
Explorer
Most gas pickups are going to get between 6 and 10 mpg while towing a 25-30 travel trailer regardless if it's an f150 or f250. Just the nature of the beast..

Other than ride comfort there isn't any real difference in an f250 and an f150 as far as driving one every day. I buy my trucks to be trucks not cars so I have a SuperDuty.
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2015 Ford F-350XL 6.7 CC, DRW, RWD
(Finally enough tow vehicle 14,000 GVWR 6062 payload)

Leeblev
Explorer
Explorer
Couple of things you said that are red flags:
l. Lots of sway
2. towing that light trailer gets 7-9 MPG

You really need to know what your GVWR of the 5er is AND the GCVWR of the tow vehicle. You really need to stay around 80% or less of the GCVWR of the tow vehicle. Dry weight does not always include things that are added after the initial body build of the 5er.
Someone commented on stoppability. I agree 300% When you are near/at/over your max, your ability to stop that rig is diminished considerably.
I think your biggest clue is poor gas mileage. I honestly don't think your TV is adequate for the job you are asking it to do.
Do yourself a favor and forget dry weight and use GVWR and CGVWR and you will find inproved fuel economy as well as being able to stop that beast easier.
PS: LE?
Lee

2001 36' Kountry Star DP

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
With its aluminum construction being much lighter than the current model, the 2015 F-150 should have a significant increase in fuel economy.

However if you're just comparing 5.0 to Ecoboost, you won't see much difference in fuel economy. I have 3 different friends and family with Ecoboost F-150s and none of them get more than 15mpg average, and no better while towing than you get now. The biggest advantage of the Ecoboost is power, not fuel economy. If you are very light of the pedal, the Ecoboost will get great mileage, but step on it at all, and those turbos are sucking alot of air, negating much benefit of a smaller displacement.

One of my family members traded his Ecoboost F-150 for a hemi Ram 2500, without that much difference in fuel economy for him.
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, "Katy"
2014 Outback Terrain 260trs "Alice"
2011 French Bulldog Shelter adopted edition, "Roscoe"
1982 DW, "Rachel"
2016 DD "Harper", the newest lil camper.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Spend $14 at a CAT scale (3 passes) to find out your TW and how well the WDH is adjusted. Then evaluate how to improve. Improper TW and improperly adjusted WDH are the most likely causes for sway. You can mask it with a bigger truck, but why spend the money?

Also, my Reese straight line is picky about being adjusted such that the detents in the bars are centered on the cam lobes. When it's right, I'm solid up to 75mph. When it's not, 60mph is scary.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I always suggest getting more truck than you need. Mostly for safety and reliability. If your truck is pulling a trailer that is at or near it's maximum capacity your on the edge of safety and the strain will cause premature or unusual failures in the engine and drivetrain.

My biggest concern is being able to stop safely in a panic situation and to be able to go down long steep grades without losing the brakes.

An f250 will probably get the same gas mileage around town empty and about the same when towing. The ride will be a little rougher but you can soften the ride by lowering the tire pressure when empty to acceptable levels shown on the tire manufacturers website.

The advantage of the F250 will be when towing...less sway, better control it will have bigger brakes for stopping and long downhills. The drivetrain components are designed for heavier loads so it should last longer.

And you'll be ready for a bigger trailer when the time comes.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
If all your numbers are fine, then stay with what you got for now until you have the need for an upgrade. Towing at 60 is a lot safer and better for fuel economy.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized