cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing Mirrors

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
Our new trailer is scheduled to arrive in 2 to 3 weeks. I am looking for some high quality mirrors to use on my 2016 Tahoe. Does anyone have any recommendations? I found these that seem to have good ratings.

Mirror on Amazon
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".
23 REPLIES 23

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
I have Fit System tow mirrors for my '03 Tahoe, but I hardly use them any more. They really aren't necessary to see to either side, and I added a trailer mounted rear camera connected to my Kenwood stereo system so I can see behind the trailer while driving. They work fine and don't rattle, and don't mar the factory finish on the mirrors.

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
hawkeye-08 wrote:
I used CIPA slip on, worked great, wife even made bags for them for storage.

X*2
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Silverado also...I have some CIPA Mirrors that I might use if traveling a long distance. If I hit a bump they drop down some so I have an elastic strap that I use to secure them with. I am hooked up now, ready to head out tomorrow for a trip not far from home. My CIPA mirrors are behind my truck seat. I haven't used them on the last two trips.
Mark

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I'm the odd guy here, but my Silverado does not have tow mirrors and I haven't felt that I've really needed them.

I seem to be able to see behind me pretty well, especially with the little convex blind spot portion of the drivers mirror. It seems to give me really good rearward visibility for lane changes, merging, etc.

Nice to have? Sure. Necessary? Maybe not.
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
i have the grand aero 3, very happy with them, hold their position and are very adjustable as needed.
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
justafordguy wrote:
I would recommend the oem tow mirrors or aftermarket copies.

If it were a pickup and I drove it everyday that is what I would have. But, this is DW's daily driver and it has all kinds on sensors in it. Blind spot, lane departure, etc. That's not going to happen so I have to go to plan B.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend the oem tow mirrors or aftermarket copies.
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I bought those mirrors and they worked fine on my way 2002 F-150. It had oval mirrors.

When I bought a 2011 F-150 with larger square mirrors, they would vibrant off. With the use of double backed sticky tape and small bungee cords I used them another year, until I could afford factory type pull out towing mirrors.

It was a semi-permanent installation but I towed with them for over 8000 miles. I believe the pair cost under $50.00 while the F-150 towing mirrors were over $200.00 each on Amazon.

As always, there is nothing wrong with a spit and bailing wire approach if it works and you are not sure what you want to do for a final solution.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
GM does not offer factory towing mirrors for 2015+ SUVs. The 2014+ pickup ones may fit. Ebay sellers claim aftermarket clones fit, but I suspect otherwise.

I recommend the Grand Aero. Pick the generation you prefer.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Buy some replacement tow mirrors on Ebay or Amazon. There's quite a few vendors that sell the factory style tow mirrors for various models of GM trucks.
Mirrors between the trucks and SUVs are interchangeable.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

jcgib81
Explorer
Explorer
I vote for the CIPA mirrors also. I had them on 2007 Suburban, and I got another set for my 2011 Yukon xl Denali. No vibration, work great and to me they blend more so someone might not notice them and steal them. Just saying.
2012 Keystone Premier 31BHPR (Blue Body Paint)
2011 GMC Yukon XL Denali Equalizer WD
DW,DS,DD

Community Alumni
Not applicable
OEM towing mirrors or the cheaper aftermarket versions are worth every penny. They give you a ton more visibility when and when you are not towing. The mirrors are generally wider horizontally and vertically than the stock mirrors.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
JnJnKatiebug wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:
JnJnKatiebug wrote:
Our new trailer is scheduled to arrive in 2 to 3 weeks. I am looking for some high quality mirrors to use on my 2016 Tahoe. Does anyone have any recommendations? I found these that seem to have good ratings.

Mirror on Amazon

The mirror in the OP is the exact same mirror I use on my Armada. I even bought them on Amazon. They work just fine. I am totally satisfied with them. Only problem is you have to have a second person to adjust them initially. They produce a rock steady image with no blurring or shaking. They even hold their position after you remove and reinstall them so you don't have to readjust every time you use them. I only use one on the passenger mirror as my driver mirror works just fine as is.

Do the mounting straps leave any marks or scratches on your factory mirrors?

No they do not and I have chrome factory mirrors.

I'm sure factory mirrors are more convenient. But unless you tow every day I doubt factory mirrors are worth the additional cost when these mirrors do a perfectly acceptable job and are only slightly inconvenient to remove and install. If you already have the factory mirrors then use them. If you don't then these work just fine. Plus the factory mirrors really stick out and can be a problem in parking lots and car washes.

Take the money you save and put it in the gas tank.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I vote for the factory tow mirrors too. They're worth it even if you aren't towing because having the convex plus regular larger mirror really improves visibility compared to standard mirrors. When I drive my wife's Pilot with its I feel like I have far less side and rear visual info available compared to what I get in my truck.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB