cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing questions

RZAR66
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking to possibly buy a Side x side/UTV and would like to tow it behind my camper. I measured from the hitch face to the camper bumper and it is 40 inches. Do I need something like Torklifts Super Hitch or can I get away with just an extension utilizing the factory class V hitch? I'm guessing a UTV on a trailer cannot weigh more than 3000 pounds but that's just a guess. I have no idea what the tongue weight would be. The UTV I'm interested in weighs about 1500 lbs.
2018 Ford F-350 DRW
2024 Northern Lite 10-2
19 REPLIES 19

RZAR66
Explorer
Explorer
Mine did.
2018 Ford F-350 DRW
2024 Northern Lite 10-2

fuelhauler
Explorer
Explorer
Did the 2014 Rams come with a 2 1/2" receiver?
2005 Dodge q/c 4x4 dually six speed pac brake
2014 Arctic Fox 990
2014 16' smokercraft

NMace
Explorer
Explorer
The UTV works great for moving the trailer around, it is what I do.
2002 Silverado 6L 1500 HD 4x4 Crew Cab
2011 Puma 295 KBHSS

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at the hitch rating on my 3500 Silverado. The 2.5" receiver is rated for 20,000lbs with a 2000lb tongue weight.

RZAR66
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
RZAR66 wrote:
Not sure witch UTV i am going with, still researching and I need to start test driving.

As far as trailers and extensions, I have an incline on my driveway from the street so I need to check clearances. The scraping sound is never pleasant.

you could put on a front hitch and use it for putting the trailer into and out of your driveway. No extension no scraping, no guessing what the trailer is doing, then just unhook flip the truck re-hitch and off you go

That would work. I also thought about using the UTV to pull the trailer in and out of the driveway then hook or unhook the trailer out on the street.
2018 Ford F-350 DRW
2024 Northern Lite 10-2

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
RZAR66 wrote:
Not sure witch UTV i am going with, still researching and I need to start test driving.

As far as trailers and extensions, I have an incline on my driveway from the street so I need to check clearances. The scraping sound is never pleasant.

you could put on a front hitch and use it for putting the trailer into and out of your driveway. No extension no scraping, no guessing what the trailer is doing, then just unhook flip the truck re-hitch and off you go
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

RZAR66
Explorer
Explorer

2018 Ford F-350 DRW
2024 Northern Lite 10-2

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ryan,

Be careful with the trailer you go with. Some of the utility trailers can jacknife the rear of your camper with just a sharp turn.

Are you finally getting a RZR to fit your username? 🙂
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
With a 40 inch extension you might consider side tension chains like the Super Hitch uses. I used S hooks one time instead of locking connectors and they tried to straighten out due to side force when turning.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

Rettrooper
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP:

Be careful using a long extension with it bottoming out. We have a 48" extension and we tow a two place enclosed motorcycle trailer. You really need to pay attention to areas where you can and will bottom out like entering/exiting a road from a business, makes a sound that send cringes up you spine :E
2013 Eagle Cap 1160
2006 Ford F-350 SD CC Diesel

RZAR66
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input.

I missed the Curt brand extension. Will have to see if they make a longer one. Interesting to see that it is much cheaper than the Reese.
2018 Ford F-350 DRW
2024 Northern Lite 10-2

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
Curt also makes a 2 1/2" extension and it's much cheaper than the Reese. My BIL is using that extension at 34" in his factory Ford receiver and towing his Commander with it.

I'm only towing an ATV trailer so my superhitch/supertruss is overkill but I was trying to plan ahead to be able to tow whatever I wanted without worry.

found the link for you.

Curt extension

woops: I just realized this one may be too short for you, I thought they made a longer one too but can't find it at the moment.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
RZAR66 wrote:
Nice looking rig Jumbojet. Looks almost as good as mine.:)

I know my hitch is rated for towing 15K but need to look up tongue specs. So i take it a Super Hitch would be overkill.

Would something like this work? http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessories/Reese/RP45018.html

That extension would work just fine.

I used a similar extension for years until I installed the SuperHitch & SuperTruss. The "cantilevered" extension finally started bending a little - reason I went with the SuperTruss. The 5,200 lb. BBQ trailer bent the 36" extension.

Your rig is "almost" as nice looking as my 😉 2013 RAM 3500 with 2011 Lance 1050S.

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
I tow a 16' aluminum trailer with two ATV's in my factory receiver and a 24" extension with no issues. Your tongue weight with a lite trailer and ATV's is minimal.

Please note, maximum photo Width=640

Wayne
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded