cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

towing w/ work truck this weekend-need advice

jbres
Explorer
Explorer
Since I still have not found a used truck to buy yet, I am using a work truck to pull my 27' travel trailer 4 hours away to Lake Cumberland this weekend. It weighs loaded 6,700 pounds. Last time I pulled with this specific truck I was a little confused which gear I should be pulling it in, so I figured I would ask some of you who prob pull with same truck. Its a 2012 Chev 2500HD 6.0 3.73 rear end. I know I should prob have it in the "tow/haul mode", but should I have the shifter in the "D" for drive position where is doesn't like to pull above 55 or should I put in the the "m" manual positon and hit the "+" button to shift it up to 5 or 6 gear. 99% of my trip will be at highway speeds.
Thanks!
Also, I like to pull between 60 to 65mph.
10 REPLIES 10

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
I've made that trip from Ohio/Indiana to Cumberland & Dale Hollow for over 20 years and can't imagine any part of the trip that would stress the setup you described. Just put in D and use the tow/haul mode. I assume you are getting off 75 at Renfro Valley. Your biggest challenge is the ramp getting up to speed and back on 75 at Renfro and its not that bad. Now if for some reason you are going further South and up the climb at Jellico you will feel it no matter what you re towing.

Just relax and enjoy the weekend, you have plenty of truck.

bobfears
Explorer
Explorer
jbres wrote:
Since I still have not found a used truck to buy yet, I am using a work truck to pull my 27' travel trailer 4 hours away to Lake Cumberland this weekend. It weighs loaded 6,700 pounds. Last time I pulled with this specific truck I was a little confused which gear I should be pulling it in, so I figured I would ask some of you who prob pull with same truck. Its a 2012 Chev 2500HD 6.0 3.73 rear end. I know I should prob have it in the "tow/haul mode", but should I have the shifter in the "D" for drive position where is doesn't like to pull above 55 or should I put in the the "m" manual positon and hit the "+" button to shift it up to 5 or 6 gear. 99% of my trip will be at highway speeds.
Thanks!
Also, I like to pull between 60 to 65mph.
I have the same exact truck and my trailer weights about the same. I use the tow haul mode and have never found it necessary to downshift. If you feel the need to downshift put in the M mode and go down 1 gear. Usually that would 4th or 3rd in the mountains. Try that and see what happens. Also I bought the work truck because it is the best value. I paid roughly 28k for as new 2500hd. Its the best deal around.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I like Tow/Haul mode and M5 for towing my TT over about 55mph. Sometimes T/H and Drive allow a shift to 6th gear which is not sustainable except downhill.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Robby9
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same truck and tow a 7,300lb travel trailer. Put it in "D", hit the tow/haul button and forget about it. Btw, M6 is the same as being in "D".

You've got enough truck. Let. The engine rev when it needs to do so. The sound used to bother me, now that I know the noise means more power and it won't hurt the engine I like the sound of 4,500rpm's.

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
Put it in Tow/Haul, Drive, and hit the throttle. With a 6,700# trailer it will pull it fine and if you need to go faster push on the throttle. That engine doesn't develop close to max power until well above 3k rpm. If you find it is "hunting" for gears pulling a hill put in "M" and select the lower gear until you get to the top and then back to "D"

Sounds like you are nerveous about running up the RPMs with your comment about not liking above 55mph. That engine will run all day long at 4,000 rpm if it needs to.

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
If you look up the owners manual online it says to put it in Drive and hit tow/haul. It you use the range selector while in tow/haul mode the engine will not down shift to assist braking. To get the full benefit of the tow/haul mode it should be in drive. Diesel or gas, 4 or 6 speed auto trans.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

jbres
Explorer
Explorer
ok thanks for the replies. I do know I am not over the max GVWR when pulling my trailer, which is good.
I just asked about whether the "D" is better or the "5" or "6" is better in "M" on the shifter
because last time it just seemed while towing and using "D" on the shifter anything over 55 even on the flats the RPMS were pretty high. Then if I remember right I think I left it in tow/haul mode and moved the shifter to "M" and hit the button up to "6" and it seems the RPMS were not as high by doing this....

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Op...you are asking manual tranny questions and your TV has an automatic...as
KD4UPL says, let it do the shifting...

Yes, use the Tow/Haul button and let the 'automatic' do the shifting. The T/H
button tells the automatic tranny's computer that you either are hauling a load
or towing something

Another question is what loading does the TV have? If loaded to it's GVWR, then
of course it will be sloooooooooow...as the TV will be **_AT_** its maximum
weight without the trailer

Trailer tires (ST class) are only rated for 65MPH MAXIMUM.

Assume the glove box manual says to put the shifter lever into a gear...another
assumption is 'D' while using the T/H button...so if someone who has one and
can read their glove box manual or the OP read it if that company truck still
has it
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

OpenRangePullen
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
I would just use tow/haul and drive.
I'm not sure what you mean about it not pulling over 55 mph in drive. If it's not going fast enough give it more throttle. That truck should have no problem going over 55 mph with that trailer. The engine will need to spin fast, really fast when going uphill. Don't be afraid of RPMs in the 4,000 to 5,000 range. Let it do it's job.

Yes a gas is going to REV more but that load your pulling is a healthy weight for that truck with its gas V8. Just push down more when it starts slowing down like KD4UPL said the truck will work when going up hill, but on the flats If you don't want to push down more on the accelerator just put it on cruse control. Thats what I do pulling my 13,000 pound 5th Wheel on the flats. No problem...
2013 OpenRange Roamer 395bhs
2022 F350srw Limited, tower
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, daily
2002 Accord V6/5spd, project
2014 Kawasaki Concours

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I would just use tow/haul and drive.
I'm not sure what you mean about it not pulling over 55 mph in drive. If it's not going fast enough give it more throttle. That truck should have no problem going over 55 mph with that trailer. The engine will need to spin fast, really fast when going uphill. Don't be afraid of RPMs in the 4,000 to 5,000 range. Let it do it's job.
Some people claim they know better than the automatic when to shift and so prefer the manual mode. Some may shift it just right manually and gain a bit of speed or fuel economy. For most, I suspect the auto. is smarter than they think.