cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel trailer Trade-in - what to do?

cubscout
Explorer
Explorer
Went to my local RV Dealer yesterday, to get trade in value of camper.mWe have purchased our last 2 campers from them. I have a 2011 Passport Grand Touring , power hitch, power jacks, power awning, dvd,cd, flat screen tv, outside speakers, attached grill,1 large slide, bunk beds, queen bed, U shaped dinette. This was a special unit back in 2011. Total price $33,000. Had to put down payment $8,000. Total financed $26,000. Now I am told that in 4 yrs, my unit has depreciated so much, that trade in value is in $13,900. Dealership advises per NADA guide, not worth anymore. Apparently they could only sell unit for $20,000. I advised salesperson(whom sold us our last unit) that I am trying to buy new smaller unit, with little money out of pocket. The unit I was interested in buying from them was $18,000, discounted from $24,000. I was told I would need $8,000 out of pocket . I was told that since I was buying an already discounted unit, price for trade in probably couldn't chage much. I was told if I was purchasing $100,000 motor home, that would probably payoff my camper. I was told owner is a business man, and that rv deals are not the same as purchasing/trade in of cars. My payoff of my unit is $22,000. Sales person asked me how much available cash I could put down a new unit. I asked her if they take credit cards, told due to fees, they only would let me charge $1,000. I overheard another salesperson tell a customer that you need to put 10% down. Do most dealerships require customers to have a cash down payment. So, at this point, my unit has lost $19,100 in 4 yrs. Suggestions?.
46 REPLIES 46

mike77leprechau
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
To the OP, you might want to try other dealers. JMO but Camping World would be the last place I'd buy a trailer from. When we traded out last TT in on our current 5th wheel we tried the local RV dealer that had what we were interested in. They came back with a similar BS offer. I called another dealer 300 miles way. Way better offer. Did the whole deal on the phone, sight unseen. NO deposit, no nothing. Drove over about a week latter and did my PDI and left with the 5th wheel. Shop around. Not saying you'll get anything near a good deal, but not all RV dealers deal the same. You're upside down on your loan but you may not have to dig out as far with a different dealer.
exactly. Looks like you overpaid. It happens there is a huge margin on these things hard to know what bottom line is. Shop around you're going to lose some money but it's up to you to decide if it's worth it for you. I lost a couple grand on my last trailer but the last 2 weeks of the most stress free towing, parking, setup, and camping I have ever had due to the new rig makes it worth it! Good luck!
Current Rig: 2018 Forest River Salem 32BHI Towed with a 2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4-5.7 Hemi/4x4/3.92/8 Speed Auto

"You should really invest in a Diesel 1 ton to properly tow that popup"

mike77leprechau
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis Smith wrote:
buy used and pay cash. Then you don't have to worry about resale.
just have to worry about buying someone else's problem then....
Current Rig: 2018 Forest River Salem 32BHI Towed with a 2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4-5.7 Hemi/4x4/3.92/8 Speed Auto

"You should really invest in a Diesel 1 ton to properly tow that popup"

itguy08
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

The OP was willing to use credit cards to cover the loss at the dealer to the tune of $8,000! At 21%-25% interest rates on a credit card that will really hurt and make an already bad situation even worse..

Who has a card with a purchase rate of 21%? Ive got 3 with 9.9%. While high, it could be doable. Not smart but doable. Pick a term, run the amortization table on xxx @ 9.9% and pay that. Just don't pay the minimums and it will work just like a regular loan. Only difference is the interest would not be tax deductible like an RV loan.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
jfkmk wrote:
rjxj wrote:
darsben wrote:
KEEP THE RIG RUN IT INTO THE GROUND BUY ANOTHER THEN

^^^^^ let me add to this by saying get up on the roof and check and recaulk. Also caulk around the clearance lights, windows and everything else. There is only one more thing that could make this situation worse and that is to add water damage to it.

Exactly! If you owe 22k and you're willing to whip out your credit card for another 8k, it's way too much to be paying to wind up with a 18k trailer. Besides, credit card interest on 8k is astronomical. Financing 26k on a 33k trailer was a really bad mistake, I wouldn't compound that mistake.
X2 - Especially if your only making the minimum payment.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP, you might want to try other dealers. JMO but Camping World would be the last place I'd buy a trailer from. When we traded out last TT in on our current 5th wheel we tried the local RV dealer that had what we were interested in. They came back with a similar BS offer. I called another dealer 300 miles way. Way better offer. Did the whole deal on the phone, sight unseen. NO deposit, no nothing. Drove over about a week latter and did my PDI and left with the 5th wheel. Shop around. Not saying you'll get anything near a good deal, but not all RV dealers deal the same. You're upside down on your loan but you may not have to dig out as far with a different dealer.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
jrp26789 wrote:
rjxj wrote:
jrp26789 wrote:
Vulcan Rider wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:

The mere fact that you are willing to whip out a credit card to cover the $8K difference tells me you have much to learn about finances.

I missed that part.
That turns a bad idea into a REALLY REALLY BAD idea.

Does anyone actually read? The OP never said boo about a credit card. Yet several of you have gone down a path of needing to educate him on finance. Pay attention. Someone else replied whip out your credit card. He said 8000 out of pocket. Now unfortunately the OP most likely overpaid for this trailer. I never finance past 5 yrs on anything for this reason. Then you are less likely to end up upside down.

Does this count as boo?
"Sales person asked me how much available cash I could put down a new unit. I asked her if they take credit cards, told due to fees, they only would let me charge $1,000."

I stand corrected. Still doesn't mean the op is seeking financial advice. The self righteousness on this forum is nauseating. I used to use my cabelas card for everything. Free money for hunting Gear is great.

Actually, if you read the original post, he kind of is asking for financial advice. And since he owes 22k on something worth less than 14k, AND he considered throwing another 8k worth of credit card debt to it, he can probably use some financial advice. Not self righteous at all, simply reality.

Like you, I use a credit card for almost all my purchases. I get a little extra protection and I use the points for additional purchases. The only difference is I pay it off each month. If I can't afford it, I don't but it. And I would never finance a "toy" unless I had the reserves to pay it off if something happened. Again, not self righteous I just choose to live within my means.

Live within your means. WHAT? Are you some kind of un-American pinko commie? ๐Ÿ™‚
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
jrp26789 wrote:
The self righteousness on this forum is nauseating.

And you need to get over it.
This happens on every public forum ever created.
Someone asks for advice.
Others offer the BEST advice they know, based on experience and often professional consensus too.

The best answer is not always what you want or expect.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
A couple of comments...

Look up the value KBB has for it, often the dealers low ball it. We had a 98 Terry "Northwest Special Edition", the dealer looked it up and offered us $1500 for it on trade. It was like new condition and as it turned out, was not even listed in KBB, just the base model was. We ended selling it to a private party for $4000 (and later they told us they would have paid more)...

If your trailer is not listed, that does not mean that it is only worth what the closest one is valued at in KBB.

My advice (you get what you pay for remember), is to make sure to keep up on the maintenance of your current trailer, save some money over the next year or two for down payment and when ready, purchase your newer trailer, selling your old one yourself. Use the time to study the smaller trailers like you want to make sure you are getting one that meets your needs. Buying new is when you take the big depreciation hit so avoid doing that very often (unless you have the financial means to handle it)...

We ended up finding the trailer we had wanted new as a 1 year old used one that had been only used once or twice. We paid used price for it and since we had been saving for two years additional (with intention to buy new), we did not need to finance. It is a good feeling to own it free and clear...

Best wishes

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
When it comes to toys I like my dollar to be worth 100 pennies. I do not need the credit card company in my pocket.

This is especially true for a toy whose value falls like a stone in water.

But heck I am old school so what do I know.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I see the direction of this conversation to actually be a refreshing change from the issues on this forum. Offering strategy is exactly what OP needs, and shows the caring nature of those that posted. I do hope the OP isn't embarrassed into not following through with this conversation.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
buy used and pay cash. Then you don't have to worry about resale.

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
If I can't pay cash, I don't buy it. It keeps things simple.

jrp26789
Explorer
Explorer
I put 10,000 on a credit card for a rv. Maxed it out. Got 1000 in free money. Then wrote the check for 10,000. Used their money for 30 days. Took advantage of their introductory offer and it cost me nothing. I finance my toys. I put enough down so that if I have to craigslist it by Friday because I need the cash it will be gone. Each to their own. It is a free country. Happy 4th.
If it is fun, the State of Minnesota will try to outlaw it!
2017 F150 2.7 ecoboost
2 tents

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
jfkmk wrote:
jrp26789 wrote:
rjxj wrote:
jrp26789 wrote:
Vulcan Rider wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:

The mere fact that you are willing to whip out a credit card to cover the $8K difference tells me you have much to learn about finances.

I missed that part.
That turns a bad idea into a REALLY REALLY BAD idea.

Does anyone actually read? The OP never said boo about a credit card. Yet several of you have gone down a path of needing to educate him on finance. Pay attention. Someone else replied whip out your credit card. He said 8000 out of pocket. Now unfortunately the OP most likely overpaid for this trailer. I never finance past 5 yrs on anything for this reason. Then you are less likely to end up upside down.

Does this count as boo?
"Sales person asked me how much available cash I could put down a new unit. I asked her if they take credit cards, told due to fees, they only would let me charge $1,000."

I stand corrected. Still doesn't mean the op is seeking financial advice. The self righteousness on this forum is nauseating. I used to use my cabelas card for everything. Free money for hunting Gear is great.

Actually, if you read the original post, he kind of is asking for financial advice. And since he owes 22k on something worth less than 14k, AND he considered throwing another 8k worth of credit card debt to it, he can probably use some financial advice. Not self righteous at all, simply reality.

Like you, I use a credit card for almost all my purchases. I get a little extra protection and I use the points for additional purchases. The only difference is I pay it off each month. If I can't afford it, I don't but it. And I would never finance a "toy" unless I had the reserves to pay it off if something happened. Again, not self righteous I just choose to live within my means.

Sorry to appear "self righteous", that is not where I am or want to be but the reality is the OP would be making a huge mistake by using a credit card to finance another bad mistake..

Two "wrongs" don't make it "right" no matter how you decide to "spin" the idea.

There is nothing wrong with credit or even credit cards provided you are able to "cover" the payments in a timely fashion. I use credit cards to my "advantage" by ONLY buying what I NEED AND WHEN I CAN AFFORD to pay off the balance on the same billing cycle.

I would never dream of putting $8000 on a credit card for a RECREATIONAL ITEM LIKE A RV..

There are better ways to get a loan, heck you can even get better credit "terms" from a off the street loan shark.

The RV dealer did the OP a "favor" by REFUSING to take the credit cards.. That there is ONE HONEST DEALER and they NEED to be commended for taking that stance.. It IS protecting the OP from themselves..