cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck Camper Attic - how much do you use?

Vic_R
Explorer
Explorer
Ok - "Attic" may be generous, but how much do you use the roof top racks and rear ladder on your truck camper? I was certain I was going to order a ladder and Yakima rails on my new camper, but now I'm having second thoughts on what I would actually put up here???
Hallmark Everest pop-up truck camper on a 2014 Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel, 4wd, Aisin Auto, crew cab, short bed
40 REPLIES 40

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
I am interested in hearing/seeing how people get their canoe/kayak off of a 11 foot high camper roof as that is the height of our garage pod rack where we plan to store this stuff.

It seems there are a few of you who do keep those items up there, so how easy is it to get down using the built in ladder...or did you rig up something else?

edit: Well, so far this question is directed at Buzzcut and his photo ๐Ÿ™‚

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
The ladder is a great place to carry skis.

2017 Escape 17B, 2012 VW Touareg

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
We consider our roof a fragile place and avoid getting on it and we never carry anything on it.
If while away from home we should need to go up to remove anything or need to inspect something. I can usually do it without getting off the ladder. With it at home I use a 12ft step ladder to work around it.
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

trailgranny50
Explorer
Explorer
We don't put anything on the roof except our satellite dish on occasion. The ladder carries our chairs and often that's where we set the Tailgater as we can secure it to the ladder. Depends on which direction the truck is pointing.
2004 Chevy 3500 Duramax all stock
1990 950 Shadow Cruiser Hard side multiple add-ons
Ancient Valco 10'x5' John boat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Team
One-eyed Trail Horse and one horse trailer
Rocky, Annie, Muffie traveling Fur Babies

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
...we never carry anything on our pop-up roof. Our ladder is used for roof maintenance (membrane and 2 roof hatches) only...

If we ever decided to carry "boats', they (or, it) would be an hypalon-hulled inflatable, packed inside the truck.

This is our decision, for our own reasons/circumstances; YMMV :B
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I carry two Kayaks up on the racks on a regular basis and a cargo box on occasion.

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
Solar panels, an AC unit, and a satellite dome is all I want up there. I do use the ladder for access to the roof for maintenance so the ladder is important to have for me.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

gpascazio
Explorer
Explorer
Use the ladder to get up to the roof to clean my Solar Panels and the roof. Haven't had the need to carry anything there.
2008 Ford F350 dually
6.4 L Diesel
2010 Eagle Cap 1160
300 W of Solar Panels

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
I only use the ladder to climb up for cleaning, etc. I have never traveled with anything up there. These things have a high vertical COG. I don't want to do anything to raise it
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
The camper is already top heavy and back heavy. The last place I would want to add any weight is the top at the back. It seems like a really inconvenient place to put anything anyway. Having to climb 11' in the air to get something doesn't sound good to me.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Very seldom put anything on the roof, high enough already. The ladder is my hanging place for chairs or blue tote, there is always something there when traveling.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)