cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck camper mileage

missouri_dave
Explorer
Explorer
I know these things aren't exactly fuel efficient or bought for that purpose but what sort of mileage are you guys getting with the camper on and is your rig gas or diesel?
54 REPLIES 54

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
13.5-18 range TC and small cargo trailer. Cummins 5.9 diesel 24v. 64mph.
13 is into a 35 mph headwind.
18 is with a healthy tailwind.
Usually I see 15.5-16.5 range. Wind is usually present crossing the country in the form of crosswinds, which are worse than straight on winds since trailer gets the full brunt of it too.
Without wind I never see below 16.
Without trailer I should go up ยฝ or 1 mpg due to obvious lost weight and lost air resistance.

Pointing out the obvious variations is stupid here, but the big one no dummy points out is the size, shape and weight of the TC. Tall square ones are the worst, and folding ones don't really even count, but rounded and smooth shapes will yield the least wind resistance. Mine is rounded and smooth, so will always punch through the air smoother than the stick built square shapes most TC look like. I think I would lose several mpg with square corners.

Also, do you have junk strapped to the roof or not, to the back on a tray or not?

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
What matters to me is the total cost of operating the truck over time. Most of the time (~99%) the camper is on the truck, so I may see MPGโ€™s as high as 12.5 (downhill, tailwind, ideal driving conditions, etc) and as low as 6 (chugging up a steep grade, during regen, speeds above 65, etc).

I used to keep track of fuel mileage in my older trucks with handwritten logs. Even after vehicleโ€™s started displaying MPG on the dash, they didnโ€™t seem to be that accurate all the time. On both my 2010 and 2016 F450โ€™s though, I hand calculated the fuel mileage for the first few months I had them and eventually concluded that what the truck was displaying was pretty accurate, so I quit doing it manually.

This display showing the average MPG Iโ€™ve never reset. Iโ€™m not sure how many miles itโ€™s averaging, but it has to be several hundred at least. Or maybe itโ€™s every mile Iโ€™ve put on the truck. All I know is I have to drive several hours at an MPG higher/lower than itโ€™s displaying before it will tick up/down .1 of an mpg. As far as Iโ€™m concerned, thatโ€™s what my average MPG is for this truck. Keep in mind that most F450 pickups have a 4.30 axle ratio. I think they could be ordered with a 4.80 as well, but those are pretty rare.

I use the trip odometers to get a more focused idea of what my MPG is. The โ€œAโ€ trip odo is where I keep track of how long itโ€™s been since the last regen. When the regen starts, Iโ€™ll reset it and keep an eye on the mpg. It will be significantly lower than normal during the regen process, and will start going up noticeably when the regen stops. Between this, and the DPF soot load screen, I can keep pretty close track of whatโ€™s happening. The โ€œBโ€ trip odo is the one I reset a lot.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
No, 50 ft isnโ€™t far enough, but donโ€™t take my word for it. This graphic is for 55. If it isnโ€™t obvious, at 75 or so, the distance would be even farther.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
The trick for easy going in draft is to set CC and only click +- 1 mph when needed.
This way no gas pedal fanning and my foot is always ready to hit the brakes.
I follow with about 50' distance, what gives me plenty of room even for emergency braking.
Physics say that the front vehicle takes as much of front draft as rear vehicle takes the rear draft. So my tailgating saves the semi some fuel as well, but doubt in the amount he can notice, when for me tailgating at 70 mph gives 20-25% fuel saving.
Again, I don't do that often as my main purpose is to see the country, but when you drive 1500 miles in Texas having the same landscaping, that is where technique becomes handy.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
When I usually set CC at 60 mph, when I am bored on flatland, I "catch" big semitrailer and drive in its tailwind. That sometimes is reaching 80 mph, but usually I go 70-75 mph and the drag covers for speed mpg penalty.
Meaning I can follow the semi at 75 mph and still burn the same fuel I do, while driving 60 mph alone.
Turbulence is a bit uncomfortable, but that keeps me from sleeping on boring drive.

Some drivers stress about drafters. Enough to do without someone rear ending them etc etc.
Small vehicles tailgating me in a truck never bother me - I figure the ass end of my trailer(s) are more rugged than the plastic front end of a car or pickup and hitting me from behind is on the tailgater.

Current 60mph to 0mph is what, 265ft for a 80k 5 axle truck? This is exponentially longer as speed increases. I guess if you see his brake lights right away you wonโ€™t hit him that hard when he stands on the binders in a situation....

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah, if youโ€™re tailgating semis, wrecking on your own due to speed is the least of your worries. I bet that semi was happy to contribute to your MPG, right? ๐Ÿ˜„

70 in a 80 is much better than 60. The difference in speed is what makes the slow speed more dangerous than going a little faster. Of course, you can always just hit one of the backroads to go 60.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
When I usually set CC at 60 mph, when I am bored on flatland, I "catch" big semitrailer and drive in its tailwind. That sometimes is reaching 80 mph, but usually I go 70-75 mph and the drag covers for speed mpg penalty.
Meaning I can follow the semi at 75 mph and still burn the same fuel I do, while driving 60 mph alone.
Turbulence is a bit uncomfortable, but that keeps me from sleeping on boring drive.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Don't think I've ever run my truck at 80. Way too fast for a sane person

Iโ€™m not sure if Iโ€™d feel safe at that speed with your truck either, but 80 is just the speed limit in parts of some Western States with minimal exits, minimal traffic, and the biggest concern being wildlife. No, you donโ€™t have to go that speed, but I donโ€™t think every pickup driver I see is insane.

Lol. 80mph??? That's crazy bro!
Fark, if you can't drive 80mph you could have another birthday crossing Montana!

I have crossed the country including Montana numerous times. I doubt I have ever hit 80 mph. When I had 19.5 wheels and tires the speed rating was 70. Tires are a big concern in the heat with a heavy load.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jimh425 wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Don't think I've ever run my truck at 80. Way too fast for a sane person

Iโ€™m not sure if Iโ€™d feel safe at that speed with your truck either, but 80 is just the speed limit in parts of some Western States with minimal exits, minimal traffic, and the biggest concern being wildlife. No, you donโ€™t have to go that speed, but I donโ€™t think every pickup driver I see is insane.

Lol. 80mph??? That's crazy bro!
Fark, if you can't drive 80mph you could have another birthday crossing Montana!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kalabin
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:
Anyone with a gasohol engine ever compare $/mile using 91 vs 87?

With my V10 I usually see 8-10mpg depending on terrain, I have tried 90 (we don't get 91 up here) in my truck with a 5-star tune and noticed no MPG difference.
2009 Ford F350 V10 4.10 FX4 Crew Cab SRW, Timbrens, Leer Topper

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:

In my opinion,they just got a little better each year..As mentioned above,the 70's vintage big blocks were horrible for mileage yet the ones I've had in the 90's do pretty good if you keep your foot out of it....My old '76/454 in my last rig didn't ever see 10 mpg empty or loaded...

They came along ways in mileage in the late 80's and early 90's compared
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
11-13, but who cares? You gonna sell your truck and camper because you get 11 instead of 13?
I'll drive near 80 empty. Plenty of 75mph speed limits in Texas.
With the camper, I keep it under 70, most of the time.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
5000lb camper, CC set at 60 mph gives me 12-13 on highway cruising with my Ford diesel dually.
But any high wind can cut it by 10% easy.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Just for comparing old vs new truck technology .
My 454/460 GM and Ford DRWs in the '70s got 4-6 mpg carrying a 10' 6" truck camper at 55 mph (national speed limit). Hell those old gazz hoggs got 8-10 mpg just sittin' or running empty.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides