Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck Camper Speed

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
yWhen I down sized to a small TC,I kept my speed on the hiway the same
65,was curious to see if others did the same. seems Im passed a lot,but mostly by 5th wheels and MH.
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200
65 REPLIES 65

albackore
Explorer
Explorer
~DJ~ wrote:
Anyone who drives faster than me is an idiot. Anyone who drives slower than me is a moron!!! :B

^^^ What he said !!! :B
Jeff J

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab, SLT 5.9L Cummins
2009 Lance 825

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
BradW wrote:
Threads like this is when I mis jponder. ๐Ÿ˜ž

A lot of evangelists have missed their calling for sure.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

TheCodeMonk
Explorer
Explorer
I stick to about 58 or 5 under the limit, whichever is slower...better fuel economy. ๐Ÿ™‚

If the speed limit on a 2-lane is more than 65 (I rarely see 2-lane roads at that speed or above), I will keep an eye out behind me with the side views and if there are more than a couple cars back there, I'll look for a spot to pull off and let them by (signalling, of course).
1996 F250 SRW, Ext-Cab, 8' Bed, 4x4, 7.5L(460)/Auto(E40D), 4.10 Gears, LSD rear.
- Happijac Tiedown

1987 Western Wilderness Alpine (9ft)

http://waddlestravels.blogspot.com/

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
I live in Michigan and the max speed for trucks or and vehicle pulling any trailer regardless of size other than "oversized vehicle/units" is 60 mph on 70 mph max on all Interstates. 70 is the max for any vehicle other than emergency vehicles in route in the state. The min on Interstates is 45 mph in our state. Max of 55 mph for trucks and/or vehicles with trailers if the posted speed limit is less than 70 on any Interstate in the state. You WILL be ticketed for over 60 mph while pulling a trailer and there are lots of radar equipped MDOT vehicles in hard to see places until it's too late on the Interstates and other main highways. Some of our friends are retired Michigan State Police and my younger brother was a Sheriff for years and they know the facts.

Most other states also have similar type truck/trailer speed restrictions.

Our 58-60 mph RV travel and 55 mph on non-Interstates (limited access) is right where it belongs as it's 13-15 mph over the min and at and only 10-12 below the max allowed on the state's Interstates.

If you don't like being behind us as we are in the right lane always, just move over and pass and shut up! You aren"t allowed to go any faster than us on the other streets so lump it!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

big_whitey
Explorer
Explorer
nycsteve wrote:
I will not allow myself to be pushed into driving at speeds I feel unsafe at. I will also not be pushed into pissing my cash out the window to gain a half an hour. Disiplined driving habits can save me 200-300 dollars easily on a long trip.That said, I am more likly to drive my speed regardless of surroundings on interstates and roads with 2-3 lanes each way. If I end up on a 2 lane (one in each direction) ,more often than not, if I see a backlog of vehicles behind me I will figure some safe way to let them by. Theres plenty of local roads like this for me, and thats exactly what I do, its driving curtisy. But on the same token, many of the 1 lane in each direction roads Im on are speed limited to 35-55 mph. Usually for a reason, many tight turns, residential homes etc. If this is the case, sometimes I will do the limit regardless of impatient drivers stacking up behind me. I have yet to see an accident I have caused directly but wonder how many accidents have been avoided by forcing the flow of traffic slower. How many kids dogs wernt hit, bycyclists side swiped, etc. Seems the new crop of drivers learned how to drive playing no real world penalty video games, and think nothing of staring at thier laps for minutes at a time while composing some useless text to a friend on thier phones. Im not adusting myself to thier impatient fast driving style just so they can save a few minutes and pump up thier endlessly needy egos.

two words on this subject: safety and courtesy. no one should impose their personal speed limit on the highway,be it fast or slow. it is not the job of the motoring public to set the speed limit,that is the job of elected officials. common sense/courtesy would go a long ways in preventing road rage etc. example: it is just inconsiderate to drive 45 mph on a posted 55 mph road backing up cars, a recipe for disaster. it is also inconsiderate and dangerous to tailgate someone driving 55 on a posted 55mph road. its not rocket science but it does take something that is in short supply,common sense.

MTRhino
Explorer
Explorer
NYCSTEVE I am glad to hear there are actually people out there that know what mirrors are and are willing to pull over to let traffic by instead of letting them stack up until someone 10 cars back decides he needs by. We drive a lot of 2 lane roads (one each way) and encounter many drivers traveling way below the speed limit that will never pull over to let traffic clear. There is a law in MT that says if you have more than 4 cars behind you, you are to pull over, but I have never seen it enforced. I think it is just as much a size thing as it is speed because our wide RV's are just as hard or harder to see around than most semi's. A little courtesy on both sides will go a long ways.
Central Montana
66 Jeep CJ5 (toy)
97 Glastron GS205 inboard boat (toy)
03 Bigfoot 25C9.6 truck camper(toybox)
06 PJ car trailer (toy hauler)
10 Chev 3500 ext-cab longbox (toy hauler)
11 Polaris RZR (toy)
12 Beta 450RR dualsport motorcycle (toy)
Next toy = :h

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
While "cruising" with the TC and even without.....Red doesn't like to go faster than 60......really wasn't designed to. If people don't like that its to bad, the minimum speed on a highway is 45 mph, but then most people don't know the traffic laws anyhow. They still talk on there phones, pass on the right, and don't know what merge means......lol
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

nycsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I will not allow myself to be pushed into driving at speeds I feel unsafe at. I will also not be pushed into pissing my cash out the window to gain a half an hour. Disiplined driving habits can save me 200-300 dollars easily on a long trip.That said, I am more likly to drive my speed regardless of surroundings on interstates and roads with 2-3 lanes each way. If I end up on a 2 lane (one in each direction) ,more often than not, if I see a backlog of vehicles behind me I will figure some safe way to let them by. Theres plenty of local roads like this for me, and thats exactly what I do, its driving curtisy. But on the same token, many of the 1 lane in each direction roads Im on are speed limited to 35-55 mph. Usually for a reason, many tight turns, residential homes etc. If this is the case, sometimes I will do the limit regardless of impatient drivers stacking up behind me. I have yet to see an accident I have caused directly but wonder how many accidents have been avoided by forcing the flow of traffic slower. How many kids dogs wernt hit, bycyclists side swiped, etc. Seems the new crop of drivers learned how to drive playing no real world penalty video games, and think nothing of staring at thier laps for minutes at a time while composing some useless text to a friend on thier phones. Im not adusting myself to thier impatient fast driving style just so they can save a few minutes and pump up thier endlessly needy egos.

12V_Cummins
Explorer
Explorer
I usually go with the flow which is normally 5 over.

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Threads like this is when I mis jponder. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
JoeChiOhki wrote:
dreeder wrote:
JoeChiOhki wrote:
Ernie Fergler wrote:

You may never have HAD an accident; but how many have you caused???

I always follow a few simple rules:

1. I will not drive irresponsibly just because others are doing it. This includes driving in excess of the speed limit, no matter how many times the old "Johnny jumped off a cliff, so you should too" logic is trumped out :p.

The same goes for the old "You'll get a ticket" adage. I've driven all over hell and high water, including through downtown chicago with an RV, still zero tickets for not "keeping up" and driving the speed limit. :p.

2. I will never lose a nights sleep because another driver could not figure out how to act maturely and drive their own vehicle responsibly and caused a wreck. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I believe that the response was more directed at driving under the speed limit on two lane roads which causes people to pass and quite often that does result in very nasty crashes. I am not defending the morons that pass unsafely but they do it because of the vehicle going under the speed limit. I cringe when I am behind a vehicle that is going under the speed limit on a 2 lane because the morons are about to crawl out from under there rocks.
Now its easy to say I'm not doing anything wrong and you're right, you're not but that doesn't matter to the family that dummy just wiped out because he made a bad pass on you.
I like the poster's that stated how they will drive under the speed limit until they start to impede traffic and then will either hit a pull off to let traffic pass or they will run the speed limit until they can let traffic pass. That is a smart a considerate attitude, especially for the oncoming traffic.

I look at this way, it doesn't matter what is impeding the people that in the end are the only ones responsible for causing the accident because of their immaturity and impatience.

There will always be some snowflakes that shouldn't be driving if they cannot handle the fact that you have an assured likelihood of getting stuck behind a slow moving vehicle on a 2-lane road and that it might take a long time to get to a safe place to pass.

Snowflakes is a good word for them....to bad they don't melt..:)

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
dreeder wrote:
JoeChiOhki wrote:
Ernie Fergler wrote:

1. I will not drive irresponsibly just because others are doing it. This includes driving in excess of the speed limit, no matter how many times the old "Johnny jumped off a cliff, so you should too" logic is trumped out :p.

The same goes for the old "You'll get a ticket" adage. I've driven all over hell and high water, including through downtown chicago with an RV, still zero tickets for not "keeping up" and driving the speed limit. :p.

2. I will never lose a nights sleep because another driver could not figure out how to act maturely and drive their own vehicle responsibly and caused a wreck. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I believe that the response was more directed at driving under the speed limit on two lane roads which causes people to pass and quite often that does result in very nasty crashes. I am not defending the morons that pass unsafely but they do it because of the vehicle going under the speed limit. I cringe when I am behind a vehicle that is going under the speed limit on a 2 lane because the morons are about to crawl out from under there rocks.
Now its easy to say I'm not doing anything wrong and you're right, you're not but that doesn't matter to the family that dummy just wiped out because he made a bad pass on you.
I like the poster's that stated how they will drive under the speed limit until they start to impede traffic and then will either hit a pull off to let traffic pass or they will run the speed limit until they can let traffic pass. That is a smart a considerate attitude, especially for the oncoming traffic.

I look at this way, it doesn't matter what is impeding the people that in the end are the only ones responsible for causing the accident because of their immaturity and impatience.

There will always be some snowflakes that shouldn't be driving if they cannot handle the fact that you have an assured likelihood of getting stuck behind a slow moving vehicle on a 2-lane road and that it might take a long time to get to a safe place to pass.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

sleekcrafter
Explorer II
Explorer II
65-70mph if conditions allow, truck likes this speed, up or down 10 mph just a seconds away....
2001 7.3L F350 CC SB DRW BTS auto, Elkhorn 11X TC, 31 Jayco Designer, 1979 Belco Tunnel Dragster DragBoat

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
JoeChiOhki wrote:
Ernie Fergler wrote:

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ernie Fergler wrote:

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL