truck tire choices

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at tires for my 2012 f350.
Originals are Michelin at2 LT 275/65r20

Found goodyear duratrc locally at 20% off 3750 rating

also like the Toyo AT2 rating unknown

Wanting something that is not real noisy so not overly aggressive but strong sidewalls for towing the toyhauler. Winter is not issue as I run Hankooks on separate rims for that.

Thanks
32 REPLIES 32

Bedlam
2012Coleman wrote:
APT wrote:
Strong sidewalls just means LT-E tire. They are made in all kinds of tread patterns. If you do not want a noisy tire, I recommend a highway tire vs. an all-terrain tire. I like our Michelin LTX M/S2.
X2 - these are nice tires. You can get a rebate on them from Discount Tire occasionally.

I also liked these tires and only swapped them out due to needing more load capacity.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Right now, Costco has a $70 rebate on 4 ea Michelins. I think that may be a Michelin rebate (not Costco) so other places may have the same deal. Runs thru May I think.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
Strong sidewalls just means LT-E tire. They are made in all kinds of tread patterns. If you do not want a noisy tire, I recommend a highway tire vs. an all-terrain tire. I like our Michelin LTX M/S2.
X2 - these are nice tires. You can get a rebate on them from Discount Tire occasionally.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Spend the money, MS2's!

X what ever on the Michelin MS/2+, looks like a Highway tread, but tons of siping gives awesome traction.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I don't get any noise from the Toyo AT II's on my PU or on my Highlander.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. Good info. I don't want a lot of noise so I will rule out the duratrac as suspected. My buddy had toyo open country and now duratrac and he says the toyo was louder. ( lifted 150)
Decisions.
Where I only put 15 k on the truck a year and have winters I am thinking more of a road tire also. Will look at the cooper and may go back to the Michelins.
My stock Michelins are LTX AT2. Maybe will look at the other defenders or MS.
thanks

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Spend the money, MS2's!

The other tire choices are actually more expensive. This decision is not based on cashhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
JustLabs wrote:
IdaD wrote:
I'd personally take a Toyo over a Goodyear or Michelin. Cooper too for that matter. The new Open Country AT2 looks like a nice all around tire. You should also check out the Cooper AT3 and if you are willing to go a little more aggressive, the Cooper ST Maxx. The ST Maxx is a bit heavy, but it has a 3 ply sidewall and supposedly wears very well and isn't too loud on the highway. According to reviews, anyway.

I've ran a bunch of aggressive tires over the years. Currently ST Maxx. They really are quiet for as aggressive as they are.

I like the fact that all Cooper's LT tires are made in the U.S.

I've had really good luck with Cooper as well. How do you like the ST Maxx specifically? How are they wearing, wet/snow traction, etc.?

One thing I'm finding on them is they're pretty expensive relative to more mainstream AT tires.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

JustLabs
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
I'd personally take a Toyo over a Goodyear or Michelin. Cooper too for that matter. The new Open Country AT2 looks like a nice all around tire. You should also check out the Cooper AT3 and if you are willing to go a little more aggressive, the Cooper ST Maxx. The ST Maxx is a bit heavy, but it has a 3 ply sidewall and supposedly wears very well and isn't too loud on the highway. According to reviews, anyway.

I've ran a bunch of aggressive tires over the years. Currently ST Maxx. They really are quiet for as aggressive as they are.

I like the fact that all Cooper's LT tires are made in the U.S.
2011 Chevrolet 2500HD LTZ 4x4 CCLB Duramax/Allison
2007 Keystone Cougar 289BHS Fifth Wheel.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Till my original AT's wear down, then I'll get winter tires mounted on their own rims. Then when it's time to replace the AT's, I'm going w/ All Seasons. Ran Pirellis on my old '03 F250, but not sure what I'll get when it's time.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP,
I purchased a new set of Goodyear Wrangler Adventure AT tires earlier this year as my third set of tires for my truck. They're a E rated tire with a 60k mile rating and they actually feel smoother than my previous BG Goodrich and Michelin tires. So far I'm really liking these tires with a good ride, and good tread design. I recently performed the first tire rotation at 7.5k miles and the tires appear to be wearing really good.

I'm hearing good things about the Toyo tires but I didn't like the tread design which has large gaps that appear it could collect large rocks and throw them on my new camper, plus the source of this company so they didn't make my short list.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Spend the money, MS2's!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
I run Duratracs in the winter, too loud for summer use imo, I run Toyo AT 2 right now and have been pleased.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
Do you need all terrain traction? I guess the snowflake symbol doesn't matter since you have a winter set. That will guide what type of tire to recommend. As for duratracs, they have a bit of tread squirm when new. Took about a thousand miles before it was steady. They do hum, but are quiet when compared to m/t style tires. Had them on my 2010 f 150 in that exact size.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)