Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TT Newbie has questions, help?

Saltlick
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

Just got a skyline 2002 249LT and I am a little confused in regards to the water heater. So if im at home, and hook up the water hose to my trailer (in the city water connection) and turn the water hose on this will fill up my water heater correct? And once its full (you check by turning on the hot water faucet, if water comes out then its full) i can then hook up electricity and turn on the switch to ignite the water heater and all is right in the world.Correct?

I guess i am just checking to see if the above is the right way to do it, and my other question is once that is done, and i unhook the city water line does the 6 gallons of water remain in the water heater tank, so from that point on i can just leave the power cord hooked up to it at home and do what im going to do in the trailer and not worry about the hot water tank burning up? I guess im confused, ive heard you cant plug in your trailer to your house without the hot water heater being filled up, even if you dont plan on hitting the switch to ignite the gas and heat the water up. Is there a heating element in the tank that comes on the minute you plug in the power somewhere?

Oh and one more thing, when you guys go camping and hook up to the city water and electricity, do you just turn your propane on and leave it on the whole time your camping? Do you drain the 6 gallons of water out of the water heater before you leave for camping or just leave that water in there until your ready to winterize it? Sorry about the long post, i just want to get this right! So many questions so little time to camp in cold oregon.
20 REPLIES 20

GMT830
Explorer
Explorer
We have a switch over the counter to power the Microwave OR the Water Heater. Pretty slick. Also a switch on the water heater under the kitchen sink. I'm going to add some indicators so we know the heater is turned on, and when the element is heating.
Lena - 02 Yukon XL Denali
TT - Wilderness 29L

cyberiankhatru
Explorer
Explorer
Once I realized I had an electric function (duh) I was always afraid I'd forget it was on so I made a little red tape flag and taped it to the door of the h/w compartment. Whe it's on, I flip the tape so it shows. When I am breaking camp, it's a good reminder to flip that switch off. And at that time, I flip the red tape so it doesn't poke out the top of my water heater door. So far no mistakes!

lovemytt
Explorer
Explorer
Very interesting reading. I was taught by my Dad to drain the tank and turn the propane off when not in use. He also taught me to blow out the lines every time because you never knew when it may freeze and you don't want that mess. He later amended the last part to be seasonal as we were camping more than he thought we might.
2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Hemi Engine
2012 R-Vision Crossover 200

Pool
Explorer
Explorer
30 amps can get used up pretty quick using all electric. Fridge, a/c, microwave and water heater. We use propane for drive and water heater while at campground so there is not an issue using microwave and a/c at the same time. Have used both gas and electric to heat water quicker after showers.

Saltlick
Explorer
Explorer
Well headed off for my first trip with the TT. Turned the fridge on and I have read it takes about 24hrs to cool down, i also read that there is a cold control thingy attached to a plastic clip on the last fin, so i go and see the plastic thing attached to the last fin in the fridge, there is a wire running down to it so i pull the plastic clip off and the wire is just sitting in there, taped off....does this mean the temp control thing was busted off at some point? I wouldnt think its suppose to be like that. Is it safe to run the fridge like this? Oh well, everything else works great.

Saltlick
Explorer
Explorer
everything seemed to work out, although i didnt see this post until now. I will go home and pull on the pressure relief valve and see if water comes out. I had only turned on the hot water faucet to see if the tank was full. Where is this bypass valve located anyway in case i have to turn it on?

GMT830
Explorer
Explorer
FoCoNoCo wrote:
Have always wondered why people open pressure relief valves. They are not designed to be repeatedly opened. Opening the valves does two things, weakens the spring, and dislodges the rubber seal and allows the P/T valve to leak.

I would rather know the P/T valve works and isn't rusted shut.....
TT - Wilderness 29L

Still_Searchin_
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on making sure your bypass valves aren't set for bypassing the water heater. As mentioned, you will still get water out of your hot water faucet when tank is bypassed, but no water is in the water tank.
We don't empty our water tank at all while camping or traveling. We have both an electric heat rocker switch and a propane rocker switch, and use both while taking showers. I used to leave the electric element on all the time when connected to 120 volt power until my heating element malfunctioned. Now I turn off the element until I need hot water (first thing in morning, while doing dishes or taking a shower).
2011 Jayco Eagle Lite 256rks 28ft. travel trailer; Reese SC hitch
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500 6L w/3.73 differential
Member: TTN, Escapees, Good Sam
3x around USA, traveling about 6 mo/year

FoCoNoCo
Explorer
Explorer
Have always wondered why people open pressure relief valves. They are not designed to be repeatedly opened. Opening the valves does two things, weakens the spring, and dislodges the rubber seal and allows the P/T valve to leak.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only thing I want to add is that I do not drain the water heater during camping season. (For me to do that I would have to crawl under the camper and remove a plug.) There is no real reason to drain it unless your not going to use the camper for months then the water would get stale in the water heater.

GMT830
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you are not in bypass mode for the winterize valve. You can get water out of the hot side of the fixturess even if the water heater is empty. As mentioned, tug the relief valve to make sure you have water in the tank.
TT - Wilderness 29L

Ray552
Explorer
Explorer
Two things to add. 1) when filling the water heater to make sure it is full I open the pressure relief valve and make sure some water comes out. If I am hooked up to "city water" Turn on the water hot and cold at one of your sinks inside then turn on the water a the hose , hold the pressure relieve valve open till it spits close walk inside and close valves at sink once water comes out. Then bleed air from every other faucet, toilet. With water from the tank open a faucet and then turn on the pump, open pressure valve , let it spit then turn off valves one you have water Bleed all other fixtures.

2) On my electric/gas heater I have two switches to turn on electric Block rocker switch outside. Open the door to the water heater open pressure relief valve to make sure it spits then kneel down and look for the black rocker switch turn it on. I say kneel because I must have bent over and looked ten times and could not find the switch so was unable to use electricity to heat water till I finally kneeled down and finally saw the switch. The other switch is inside the camper it has a red lighted light switch. No markings it appears to be a light switch that does not work. in a the main room while the gas water heart switch is labeled part of a panel in the bathroom . It is only red if the outside switch is also on and there is power to the heater. I took a galvanized 1/2 inch pipe hanger and put it on the switch to act as a guard to try and prevent it being turned on or off at the wrong time. Just take the screw out of the over plate put the pipe hanger on over the switch and use a little longer screw to put it together.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I always double check if the heater is full by pulling on the by pass valve on the tank it self. just me I guess, but I don't want to ruin my water heater by not making sure the tank is full. the water stays in until you either blow it out with compressed air or pull the drain valve at the bottom of the tank. access through the water heater door out side. if you notice a smell in the water when you leave the water in the tank for any length of time, then you have a water problem and it needs to be drained and cleaned. I don't think I would leave my heater, electric or gas, on while parked by the house. no need to leave it running all the time. it would be a waste of gas and electric if you do. if you have electric and gas heater, while camping I only leave on the electric and only turn on the gas just before bathing. the electric will keep the water hot enough for dish washing etc. while showering be sure to do the navy shower routine, wt down, turn off water, soap down, rinse. shut off water.

Saltlick
Explorer
Explorer
I dont believe we have the optional heating element, i looked all over back there in the WH compartment and i dont see any kind of switch. The only switch i know of is above the control panel that checks the tanks for how full they are over by the sink. That must be the electric ignitor i guess. In the WH compartment there isnt any kind of dials either like a water heater at home. I will keep water in there before hooking up to electricity regardless just to make sure. Thanks alot guys.