cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV needs new rubber!

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2012 Avalanche needs new tires. I realize this is all upkeep on a vehicle but it still is a good size expense. 4 new tires are going to cost $1600 installed. Don't ask me what kind I didn't ask hubby.

My thoughts are, do we or should we also replace the spare at the same time. I have not asked hubby this yet, I have to order tires tomorrow when he gives me the details.

I am thinking, how long will that spare last just hanging up under the truck? I have never thought or asked about this before.

How many of you, if any, replace the spare with a new one when you get the other 4?
21 REPLIES 21

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
Waste of $$ to replace the spare.

Other respondents have to realize the OP is in Canada, and we get hosed for new tires - like about everything else. :R

$1600 for 4 sounds too high. Check Costco, and buy a good brand like Goodyear, Michelin, BF Goodrich.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it a 3500 Dually? If not buy Cooper Discovery Plus.. Less than 600 bucks? Just as good as any.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Wow I did not spend that much for 8 Firestone Transforce LT's last Sept. for truck and trailer.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Funny you ask
I just replied to another thread with this

You guys are reading tooooooo much into this. I'm trying to say he most likely will never need the spare. Heck both my RV and TV spares have never seen the pavement. Still pull em down once a year for cleaning and inspection, the RV ST needs about 10 PSI each year, TV is usually within range but really dirty :B
Usually a spare means " till you get to the next town" to me. Heck the DW car has the little doughnut style spare. Not sure it's worth more than 50 miles or so. Again it's never seen the pavement either.
Spare tires are about as over rated as a Ferd :B Your money :W

If it's black, round and holding air I reckon it will get you to the next city, although I've never had to test this theory :B
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

1600 sounds a bit steep.

I reskinned my dually with Michelin LTX M&S2 for 1450, tax in.
The LTX's are by far the best tire I ever have had the pleasure of riding on.
I was about 750 miles under 80,000 miles on the old set of LTX's. Never a bit of trouble with them, ever.

As for the spare? I run Michelins, I don't need a spare!

I'm joking of course but in the past 3 trucks I have owned, the spare has never been off the rack. It is brand new and I would never waste the money replacing it. If it is older than 6 years, who cares. In a pinch it would get me in to somewhere that I could get a flat fixed.

I kick the spare every couple years to see if it still holds air. My spare still has the original air in it! Never been adjusted.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I never have and never will. I don't think I have ever put the spare on the ground of any of the trucks I have owned. Cars, yes, but not a truck.

Some new cars don't even come with a spare.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
GM recommends replacing pickup truck tires, including spares, that are older than six years.