cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ultimate payload monster?

Hemling
Explorer
Explorer
What do you think is the top payload rating among new one-ton trucks? All the advertising goes toward horsepower/torque and towing capacity, but what configuration is king of payload?
60 REPLIES 60

blt2ski
Russ,
I would suggest you and others look up HOW weights are enforced on highways etc. Manufacture labeling us not enforced. OR if the road you are driving on has federal funds to it, your state enforced a lower standard, funds can be held from said state. Granted some exceptions do apply, frozen thawing ground, a lower axle limit can be applied.
Getting an over wieght ticket is a non moving violation. It does not go against driving record.
WHERE an Leo/cveo will get you if over a manufactures rating, they will do a field test braking your rig. You don't stop in X ft, at y mph. Ie about 10-29 mph, you have a failed braking system. THAT is a moving violation. Ticket goes against driving record. Vehicle is red tagged. It cannot beover off road on its own power. Or it needs to be fixed where it sits. This hurts ones pocket book from a legal standpoint
IF you want to to talk getting sued after an accident etc in civil court. That's another can of worms. Even if I'm under ALL of my legal wts etc, depending upon injuries etc, I can still lose my shirt, house etc.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
blt2ski wrote:
rjstractor wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
GVWR is a JOKE!!! Someone please tell me how I can stay at or under 14k when my RAWR is 9,750# and my unloaded front axle weight is 5,250# when they add up to 15k. My solution is to have tonnage enough to cover my 6 tires load.

Even worse with my 2000 F250 diesel, to get to its 6100 lb or so RGAWR without exceeding its 8800 GVWR, I would have to pile all the weight behind the rear axle to unload the front axle from its 4500 lb or so empty weight to under 2800 pounds. Far safer to load the truck at 5500 on the rear, 4500 on the front even though at those weights I'm exceeding the GVWR by 1200 lbs.

Nothing "ILLEGAL" about either of these options. Reality per federal bridge laws, Cummins can go to 32k gvw, 20k on rear 12k or so on FA before being over the FBL standards.
RJ can hit 10-12k on his two axles ALSO before being over wieght per FBLs.
There are other issues that will get them off the road... Wieght will not be an issue, assuming they have the correct paid for tonnage.
Just like I've been pulled over multiple times, been thru DOT scale house upwards of 26000 gvw, I have yet to get an overweight ticket. Even tho door jam tag says gvwr is 18200. By the way, door tag sticker is in OM in my office.

A lot of what others have implied are correct if your going after manufacture warranty performance ratings. Add more options, get a heavier engine, tranny, dual alternators, AC, power windows etc, ALL take away payload, assuming FA and RA have the same numbers. Ext cab also heavier than regular, crew is heaviest yet.
Choose poison, hope it works for you, how you want to use it......

Marty

I find it interesting that a moderator would say that federal bridge laws make it legal to exceed the listed axle and tire ratings on truck.
Once you exceed GVWR you hit a grey area. While axle and tire may be considered legal to some, a lawyer will go after the statement in owners manuals that is is unsafe to exceed any of the weight numbers on the VIN tag.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
GVWR is a JOKE!!! Someone please tell me how I can stay at or under 14k when my RAWR is 9,750# and my unloaded front axle weight is 5,250# when they add up to 15k. My solution is to have tonnage enough to cover my 6 tires load.

I ain't much smarter than a box of rocks, but I would guess there might be other components that limit GWR?
BTW, I don't think I have ever seen a weight tag where the total of axle weights is not greater than GVWR.

Grit dog wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
GVWR isn't just about dead weight. Consider suspension, brakes, stopping distant, stability when turning/swerving, weather, road conditions etc. Maybe other factors like mfg libiality etc.

Mehโ€ฆ.
Easier to consider learning how to drive than worrying about all that fodder!

IMHO, when it comes to hauling or towing, knowing your actual weigh, how it compares to ratings of you vehicle, and how it can effect " stopping distant, stability when turning/swerving" is a pretty important part of "learning to drive", but you do you.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
CA Traveler wrote:
GVWR isn't just about dead weight. Consider suspension, brakes, stopping distant, stability when turning/swerving, weather, road conditions etc. Maybe other factors like mfg libiality etc.

Mehโ€ฆ.
Easier to consider learning how to drive than worrying about all that fodder!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

blt2ski
rjstractor wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Even worse with my 2000 F250 diesel, to get to its 6100 lb or so RGAWR without exceeding its 8800 GVWR, I would have to pile all the weight behind the rear axle to unload the front axle from its 4500 lb or so empty weight to under 2800 pounds. Far safer to load the truck at 5500 on the rear, 4500 on the front even though at those weights I'm exceeding the GVWR by 1200 lbs.

Nothing "ILLEGAL" about either of these options. Reality per federal bridge laws, Cummins can go to 32k gvw, 20k on rear 12k or so on FA before being over the FBL standards.
RJ can hit 10-12k on his two axles ALSO before being over wieght per FBLs.
There are other issues that will get them off the road... Wieght will not be an issue, assuming they have the correct paid for tonnage.
Just like I've been pulled over multiple times, been thru DOT scale house upwards of 26000 gvw, I have yet to get an overweight ticket. Even tho door jam tag says gvwr is 18200. By the way, door tag sticker is in OM in my office.

A lot of what others have implied are correct if your going after manufacture warranty performance ratings. Add more options, get a heavier engine, tranny, dual alternators, AC, power windows etc, ALL take away payload, assuming FA and RA have the same numbers. Ext cab also heavier than regular, crew is heaviest yet.
Choose poison, hope it works for you, how you want to use it......

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bedlam wrote:
Payload specifications are not realistic. Are you telling me that if you choose a lighter engine, you can load more on an identical rear axle? Axle or wheel rating minus empty rear weight is closer to truth.

Lots of deceiving info out there. With a 5er it's all about RAWR.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bedlam wrote:
Payload specifications are not realistic. Are you telling me that if you choose a lighter engine, you can load more on an identical rear axle? Axle or wheel rating minus empty rear weight is closer to truth.

If you donโ€™t believe me, believe this guy. Heโ€™s well versed and more politically correct about it than I!

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:

If the GVWR is the same, the lighter truck will have a larger payload. Now towing, when all the load is on the rear axle, engine weight might not matter as much. But when it comes to hauling, especially dense material where you can load more weight in front of bed, a lighter engine will make a difference.
Back mid '90s a friend decided to buy a couple of new trucks. His driver wanted a Pete, but he bought Ford LTL9000 Both trucks had same engine, trans, all 4 axles, beds. The only difference was his had the XL interior. The driver got the XLT with more padding, carpets and such. The first day he brought the trucks to work the XLT was over 1,000 lbs heavier than the XL
Now when I think about the long cabs, with all the power heated seats, power windows and other FREDs, in front of a short bed, pickups aren't set up to haul snot.

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:

While I am far from well-versed in such things, I would assume that gross weights do play a role in how things are calculated as well. I know that combined axle weights often exceed the stated gross, so it clearly isn't a 1 to 1 relationship. That said, as an example, a lighter engine would mean less weight being stopped by the brakes, potentially allowing an increase in the stated axle weight.

Again, I'm not studied up on how they calculate these, but I can certainly see how a lighter engine could, in fact, allow for a greater rating for the rear axle.

Bedlam

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hemling wrote:
What do you think is the top payload rating among new one-ton trucks? All the advertising goes toward horsepower/torque and towing capacity, but what configuration is king of payload?

Is this a trick question?
Useable payload among all duallies is basically the same, with the nod going to reg cab trucks.
By the sticker payload, again is not a function of who's badge is on the grille, but a 2wd dually stripped down gasser will have the most payload on paper and all of the big 3 are over 7klbs.

However, put 7klbs in any stock dually bed and it will equally tank the @ss end into the Carolina squat.

How much you wanna haul??

Or to be more succinct, basically the paper payload will be limited by the curb weight and gvw rating. With gvw rating being the same across the board, and likely the curb weights within a few hundred lbs of each other.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
For the most actual payload looks like a GM reg cab long bed 3500 DRW 6.6 diesel with those big 10500 rawr numbers are running in the 7500 lb in the bed payload.

The same GM 3500 DRW with the 6.6 gazzer gets 7630 lb in the bed payload.
These numbers come from GM weight calculator on their ordering guide website.

Ford is close with 9900 rawr and Ram has 9720 rawr.

I'd have no idea what the vehicle mfg payload stickers will say.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides