cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vancouver Island trip

misskate
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip to the north part of Vancouver Island later this summer. Maybe start from Comox and go north from there. Looking at going to Port Alice and Gold River. Anyone have suggestions for camp sites? Last time I was there was almost 30 years ago. Stopped at Woss Lake overnight and some rec lake site just outside of Campbell River (can't remember the name of the lake). Any suggestions would be helpful.
9 REPLIES 9

finaddict
Explorer
Explorer
I really like the Western Forest Products campsite just outside of Marble river Provincial park. No facilities, just flat level campsites, with picnic tales, great trail down the marble river, Very rustic, free camping (I think). easy access.

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
We hiked the West Coast trail on Vancouver Island which is amazing. You need about a week though and ability to climb 80 foot ladders and carry a 50 pound pack about 10 miles a day.

Come to think of it, that doesn't sound like a vacation 🙂

misskate
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a while since my trip but I'd like to post some observations.

Stopped at Woss Lake - it's a forestry campsite maintained by the local logging company. Huge disappointment. Poorly maintained, outhouses haven't been updated or changed in over 10 years (at least) I think they are the same ones when I was there 20 years ago. Tables are in very poor condition. If they are going to let it go that bad, then tear it out. I thought it was more of a safety hazard to leave the campsite in such disrepair.

Stopped off at Marble River, but didn't stay. It too was maintaind by the local logging company, but what a difference. Clean. New outhouses. Nice spot.

Stayed at Victoria Lake - Spruce Bay. Nice place. Could use a little upkeep, but OK. Definitely will go back.

My tire story - The road in from the highway is 17 KM. At the 15k mark, we hear and experience a rumble coming from the rear?? Stop and find the right rear tire is shredded. Must have driven on if for a while, even though I never noticed any change except for a little more rattle. While I'm pulling all my stuff off the rear seat to get to the jacks (yes I have 2 jacks - a 6T hydraulic along with the OEM), my wife notices the front left tire is very rapidly losing air. 2.3 KM from the campsite, 2 flats, no cell service... My friends were at the campsite with his matching truck. Short story - his spare, my spare got me moving. New tires in Port Hardy. OK Tire Store in Port Hardy were great.

Left there after spending the week fishing and went to Morton Lake near Campbell River. The road was poor. Washboard for most of 5 KM. Shook the******out of everything. Campsite was OK for a Provincial Campsite, but the road. Probably not going back.

Impkitti
Explorer
Explorer
It has been a few years, but we really enjoyed the campground at Ripple Rock on the Campbell River.

Very clean, level sites. You sit above the river and can watch the boats travel up and down the river.
Ellen

1 Retired Husband
2 Dogs
2 Cats
1 2008 F350SD Truck
1 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
2 Cars
1 House
Not Enough Time

ejfranz
Explorer
Explorer
I like miricla beach (1/2) between Courtney and Campbell River - Ocean camping.
The camp grounds around Campbell River get busy in the summer.
Horne lake and the caves are worth visiting.
06 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crewcab SRW 4WD - Allison 6 speed & Duramax LBZ.
Upgrades: BD diesel exhaust manifold, Edge Evolution, Timbrens & KYB Monomax.
Camper: 2005 Adventurer 90FWS - Electric jacks, LEDs, 6V batteries, roof rack, ladder & awning.

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
pando2...... You live in a beautiful part of the world. ThisIt has been a few years since we were there. We renewed our wedding vows and had our rings blessed in a little church in Ucluelet. Actually it was in the basement apartment of the priest, in his kitchen. We can't wait to get back.

happycamper1942
Explorer
Explorer
First of all do not be mislead by the comments about the rough roads, that only applies once you leave the main roads, which are fine.
The lake you are referring to north of Campbell River could be Morton Lake, which is a nice spot, good fishing and nice campground.
My favourite campground on the Island is Buttle Lake in Strathconer Park, which is on the way to Gold River from Campbell River.
Further north, Cluxewe campground near Port McNeal is nice, on the ocean and run by the local Indian Band, and in Port Hardy I always stay at Quatze River which is about a mile from the town.
On the road from Port Hardy to Port Alice is a forestry campround at Marble River, rustic but good fishing.
In all of this area watch for bears and take appropriate precautions.
Hope this helps, if you need any more info get in touch.
2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper

C-172-AV8R
Explorer
Explorer
These sites will help you. The Hello B.C site has a lot of info just select the area you want the type of accommodation such as provincial or national parks etc. The other link is for Elk Falls campground just out of Campbell River. Have fun searching ...If you have questions just post again....Mike

http://www.hellobc.com/

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/

http://www.rlcparks.ca/park/Elk%20Falls
This was taken off the Hello B.C Site
Pacific Islanders
Abby's Doghouse... 31'Winnibago Chieftain
Casara pilot
FMCA F371731
"Any Day you wake up is a good one"
Mike/Ulla/Abby

Sparky87k5
Explorer
Explorer
The roads are very rough at times, will test your shocks and suspension to the limits. Beautiful drive though. Make sure you have good tires and a good spare.
2000 F350 Lariat LE V10 CC LB 4WD DRW
2005 Eagle Cap 850 Camper
1993 Robalo 2440 twin '07 Merc Optimax 150's
1978 Glasply 28' with twin 310hp V8's