cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Humbling Realization

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
Since we bought the TC I have been DH's designated "helper" for loading. I carefully guide him back and after each time he rolls back 6-12" I shout "STOP". And I carefully look at both sides and then ask him to roll slowly back again and stop so I can judge if it's still centered. It takes a few minutes, could be faster, but I still thought we were a good team.

DH felt I had him stop too many times and he should just be able to "roll" slowly.... but I felt more comfortable having him stop b/c we have a sub-wing that makes it to within 1/2" on the passenger side.

Last trip DH asked me to come out and help him and I got tied up inside the house. By the time I came out he had it loaded and tied down and plugged in! In less time than it takes us as a "team" to just get the truck backed underneath....

I'm officially off the team now 😞 🙂
40 REPLIES 40

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
No rear door, side door on 1161.
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

stevenal
Nomad II
Nomad II
pjay9 wrote:
Now here's one for you, how do you back up a boat at a boat ramp when you cannot see the boat or trailer behind the TC by yourself?

Bungee open the door and you can see it.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

SALTYDOG5435S-T
Explorer
Explorer
We are like sportscanner. My Lovely Bride is in the truck and I am giving directions. Took a few times to get the signals down but we have been doing this for about 33 years.

I tell guys it is the best way. Only time in your marriage where she will not argue cause she might hurt HER camper.

I would not do it any other way.
2002 F350 4X4 Crew Cab Longbed SRW
2003 Lance 845
USMC 70-74
#1 fishing partner since 1981: My Ladybug

AKSuperDually
Explorer
Explorer
Once I figured out how to use that laser level....I've got it down to a solo science.

I learned back when we had a 31' bumper pull TT, that my wife is essentially negative help when it comes to these things. I learned this by pushing over 1 shed, 1 tree, and putting a sizeable dent in the rear of our TT by a tree that wouldn't be pushed around.

Eventually....I just stopped relying on her instructions to be accurate, and got out and looked myself. No damage since. No fights or hard feelings since.
2000 Ford F350 DRW 4x4 7.3L
2003 Arctic Fox 1150

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
trailgranny50 wrote:
........Of course he's worked his body and hands till they bleed, stressed his mind and provided everything we and our 5 kids have had thru his hard work, and is still working at 71, and with the grace of God, so it's a pretty fair trade. 46 years together and still going places, just slower and not as often.

What a wonderful comment!

I keep my alignment method simple. I marked the center of the camper below the pass through window and at the center of the cabover. I marked the truck in the center of the rear window and a strip down the center of the rubber bed mat. Just align all marks and slowly back under.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
Some of you may know I am a Maritime Master (Boat Captain). I have had jobs where I taught couples to operate a vessel from 35' to 55' all depending on their lease contract. To be part of that organization they attended a ground school and a 2 day plus water school. I taught the water part. After the 1/2 day exploring the boat, systems, safety equip, nav gear and launching the dinghy, it was time to teach the Captain/Deckhand part...the woman always assumed they be the DH first, I switched it up they were captain first. I found that 95% of the ladies were much more cautious and precise than the guys and were not afraid to use the power when needed...then when the fellow was in the role they paid better attention to what I had to say as they didn't want to screw up...I found the woman didn't assume she knew how to do it where the guys did think that and had to have me get them out of a situation, then they realized they needed to listen and practice. It is all about attitude. I have many stories about this but won't bore you.

BUT my DW still lets me load the TC by myself...she does scout a spot if I need to back in for tables, trees, branches, boulders and at Walmart a curb or lightpole. It is a good team, that is the point! Whatever works!
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

cigar_100
Explorer
Explorer
ever since we had a front jack malfunction, my dh disappears to the house when loading or unloading. fortunately nobody was injured, just my pride.

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
pjay9 wrote:
Now here's one for you, how do you back up a boat at a boat ramp when you cannot see the boat or trailer behind the TC by yourself?

Keeping with the semi-smart ass theme of responses...mirrors?

I have the same problem when the bass boat is off the trailer and I am backing down the ramp. I used to drop the tailgate so I could see it over my shoulder until I had to make a sharp turn and dented the top of the tailgate. Another thing I have had to live down.
Lisa, Bobby & Dorothy the Wonder Dog
2013 F250 crew cab/6/5 foot bed w/
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
I've been through all the above also, salutes, the neighbors,left alone n begging, etc.. and have tried most of the advice I've read here also. What I now do is a pretty simple method. When I get home and get ready to unload the TC, I get my speed square and mark the center, and edge of my tires on drivers side of truck. Now I unload the TC. After I pull forward I get my waterproof art pencils and mark a large "T" on my brick patio. Next time when it's time to load the TC I wrap a mason line around two weighted objects, (bricks in my case) and extend it 15'-20' past the mark for the front tire and just a few feet past the rear tire mark. Now, when your line is over these marks, (and you've raised your TC) just back-up parallel to your line and you should be good. I used some railroad spikes in the ground before I put my bricks in but had to be carefull they didn't get kicked. If I don't end up in the same spot twice in a row I use a different color pencil. The most important thing about this method is DW approve's 100%, happy wife... Oh yeah, who would want two ?

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is a distraction when anyone tries to help me load the camper.
Don't feel bad about being off the team. He should remain focused on loading and not watching and interpreting your directions.
What you should watch for is tree branches or other obstacles when camping - it is important to not make kindling wood of the picnic table.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
pjay9 wrote:
I can hardly write this from laughing so hard! I love it! As for the laser shamzer...phooeeee! Look at the bottom edge of your tub linre it up with the rib on the rubber pad you have decided is the proper aiming point and back up. Build yourself some centering guides ro wahtever...there are som many solutions to doing it on your own...still LMAO!!!

VERY carefully

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
Super Dave...5 gold stars for you!!!

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
OBXcamper wrote:
Stars, you've got to read this prose by BradW, it took me a while to find it, hilarious.

Clicky

That is so classic that it deserves it's own sticky right upfront in TC University!

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
It's not about husband or wife, male or female. It's about understanding each other and what signals will be used and what they mean.

Most times it's flailing arms until you explain what it is you want. Changing jobs also helps in understanding.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog