cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

water heater switch

24rules
Explorer
Explorer
i have a 98 starcraft that i bought used and according to the owners manual it says that the water heater has a gas and electric capability but i do not see a switch to turn on the electric portion. i know it has electric to it because i have verified the romex wire feeding the water heater plus the breaker is on to the unit. all i see in the cabinet is a one sided switch that has only one switch and a reset red button beside it. i am not sure of the model number it seems to be all rubbed off in all places that i can see. i do know that it is a surburban because of the owners manual it does have a control module on the back of the water heater but i do not see a switch in there either when i turn this switch on in the cabinet the gas will light up. does this do this automatically to help the with a faster recovery or do i need to look elsewhere for another switch
15 REPLIES 15

24rules
Explorer
Explorer
thankyou all i did finally find the switch on the outside of the water heater it was just well hidden by wires gas valve etc thanks again

Ex-Tech
Explorer
Explorer
skipnchar wrote:
Usually the switch is inside the service panel (outside) i've never HEARD of any being "hard wired" as it would almost immediately burn up if you couldn't turn it off and the tank is empty.

By hard wired, I mean connected by romex and not plugged into an outlet.

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
... Off topic, was on your side of the bay at Seven Moons...YUM!!!
Nobody goes away from there hungry. :B You were only about a mile from my house.

OK, back on topic ...

On some units the only shutoff for the water heater is at the 110volt breaker switch.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Gene&Ginny wrote:
The only switches for my Atwood water heater were on the back of the heater on the junction box where the heating element connected to the AC wiring from the converter/breaker panel and the circuit breaker in the converter. I added this switch with a pilot light that is on when the switch is on. Turning it off and on from the breaker near the floor was a pain.

Dude, very similar to my Mod.

Off topic, was on your side of the bay at Seven Moons...YUM!!!
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
The only switches for my Atwood water heater were on the back of the heater on the junction box where the heating element connected to the AC wiring from the converter/breaker panel and the circuit breaker in the converter. I added this switch with a pilot light that is on when the switch is on. Turning it off and on from the breaker near the floor was a pain.

Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

Ray552
Explorer
Explorer
I do not know your model. But I have had problems finding a water heater switch. Get on our knees or get a chair and set down next to the water heater access door (outside). Then look for the switch, still not seeing it bend down and look up. I spent hours looking and cold not see it till I got on my knees to get lower. It was hiding behind some controls, wires and the gas tube. Not easy to see or touch.

It is located somewhere in that water heater access area.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
My brothers 5th wheel has a electric switch for the water heater that is outside the the camper underneath the water heater door. It's difficult to find it's hidden behind the gas controls. Once you find it it's even harder to get your finger on to switch it.

I feel your pain. that's where mine is. Have to open the access door to turn it on, and off.

Easy Fix

http://campinglifewithmatt.blogspot.com/2013/04/trailer-mod-electric-hot-water-switch.html
2015 Rockwood Roo 183

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
CavemanCharlie wrote:
My brothers 5th wheel has a electric switch for the water heater that is outside the the camper underneath the water heater door. It's difficult to find it's hidden behind the gas controls. Once you find it it's even harder to get your finger on to switch it.

I feel your pain. that's where mine is. Have to open the access door to turn it on, and off.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
I once had a 1996 SunnyBrook trailer that that had a switch so that you could run either the microwave or the water heater on electric but not both at the same time. It was mounted in the kitchen cabinet.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Usually the switch is inside the service panel (outside) i've never HEARD of any being "hard wired" as it would almost immediately burn up if you couldn't turn it off and the tank is empty.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Ex-Tech
Explorer
Explorer
"Hardwired in"?
Unless it is an add-on accessory, the Suburban and Atwood water heaters with the electric option are all hardwired.

Suburban: Electric switch located outside within the water heater access panel at the lower, left side.

Atwood: Switch usually located on the back side of the case, usually accessable through a cabinet.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has a switch outside. I have a mod (see my blogs) that I wired in a switch and indicator light.
2015 Rockwood Roo 183

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
With a volt meter and the TT plugged in to shore power see if you have current to the water heater. If you do, it has been hardwired in.(or the switch is hidden)
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150