cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Went on a one night test run with the "new to me" camper

getpower1
Explorer
Explorer
So, we were able to use this thing a lot sooner than I thought. Gave me a good idea of some things I need to watch out for and some things I need to keep an eye on. Stayed within 50 miles of home at the house that my girlfriend's dad is building for her sister and her husband. Was able to test out the furnace and hot water heater and things like that.

Some things I learned: The refrigerator didn't work because I wasn't even close to level front and back. This didn't matter all that much because all I had in there was some bottled water and some adult beverages (I tend to drink adult beverages more at cellar temperature than cold).

The air bags work great! It was actually very surprising! I aired them up to about 75 psi and everything seemed way more stable and the ride was way better than with nothing. I have however already ordered a rear sway bar. I found out that it is still needed.

The furnace works great, but I don't like the idea that it's using all of that propane. So for being plugged in, I think it would be better to get a small plug in type heater. This way it's also not kicking on and off all of the time with a big whoof and Fire and all of that. Just seemed like a big production for some heat to keep the camper warm.

The last thing that was notable to me is that taking a shower even in a space like that could be the best shower you've ever had. This is one of the reasons for me to go the camper route. We also do dirt biking in the winter and boating in the summer. I was done being cold all night long in a tent, and then not being able to stand up to get dressed, or having to get dressed in the middle of the night and go outside to use the facilities. All things a young, strapping male should endure...but I make good money and I'm done. Not to mention how nice the showers will be!

There are some more smaller thoughts, but I'll leave this here and give you guys a few pictures of the first time out. All in all, I think I'll be happy with this camper long term. Still a few things that need to be sorted out, but nothing some time or energy in thinking can't handle.

2003 Aljo 259LT
2018 Ram 3500, SRW, 4x4, CTD, HO, Aisin
19 REPLIES 19

getpower1
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. From the use we have gotten out of it so far, we think that we will be very happy with it. And yes, weight is a concern of mine. I am starting to think about getting a real one ton or maybe even a dual rear wheel truck. I hate to do that because I love the truck that is pictured. I just may have ended up with more camper than I really wanted.

It hauls it very well. No complaints there. I can handle it, but if there was a blowout or something I can't say what could happen.

The camper is old. I am just tying to make sure that I don't accelerate its age by doing things improperly for now.
2003 Aljo 259LT

Richandtd
Explorer
Explorer
nice looking carbiou tc you have there in a bout a week i'll be picking up mine which is a 1998. According to the tag on mine it weighs over 3400 pounds and i have a ram 3500 looks like you might be a little over weight with your truck. i am not the weight police just be carfule which i know u will since you drive a big rig. wife and i drove one for 1.5 million miles. any way congrats on your tc.
2007 Ram 3500 DRW 5.9 diesel 4x4 Bilstein shocks and steering stabilizer
Torklift tie downs
1998 Fleetwood Caribou 11M 3.4 kW generator
Two year old Boston Terrier Yes I'm a dog person

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't like to sleep way out of level so my fridge level is never an issue.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
getpower1 wrote:
Reality Check wrote:
You should be out chipping your chutes..not dreaming of time off and surfing the net. Sheesh...

Cali?? How many axle's/drops/yds you carry where your at?

Like you; just got tired of sleeping on the ground. Enjoy.

Don't need to chip chutes when you keep your truck clean.

Yeah, three and a bridgemaster. 10 yards total, 9 legally.

lol.. I tell my pump op the same, but from the looks of his hopper, it has been with failed success. Maybe that's why I own so many chipping guns.

The new trucks up here are running a bridgemaster on the rear and two min, some now with three, drops mid frame. 6, 7 axles is the new norm.

Happy cammping!
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

getpower1
Explorer
Explorer
sabconsulting wrote:
Re. the fridge. We hadn't used a propane fridge for several years, so it was a surprise this fall when we used one on an RV and found that our tolerance for living in a non-level camper was much greater than a propane fridge's tolerance. Fridge was only a few months old and worked great when completely level, but not at all on the sort of slope we camped on. Then again the shower didn't drain either unless completely level.

So it depends upon your personal tolerance for being level. If like us you are happy so long as your plates don't slide off the table then more care may be needed levelling the camper just to keep the fridge happy.

Steve.

Okay I gotcha.

Yeah we don't camp in a lot of "developed" places. So it's what you bring is what you have. I am going to try to get it as level as possible. But sometimes that's not always possible.
2003 Aljo 259LT

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Re. the fridge. We hadn't used a propane fridge for several years, so it was a surprise this fall when we used one on an RV and found that our tolerance for living in a non-level camper was much greater than a propane fridge's tolerance. Fridge was only a few months old and worked great when completely level, but not at all on the sort of slope we camped on. Then again the shower didn't drain either unless completely level.

So it depends upon your personal tolerance for being level. If like us you are happy so long as your plates don't slide off the table then more care may be needed levelling the camper just to keep the fridge happy.

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

getpower1
Explorer
Explorer
Reality Check wrote:
You should be out chipping your chutes..not dreaming of time off and surfing the net. Sheesh...

Don't need to chip chutes when you keep your truck clean.

Yeah, three and a bridgemaster. 10 yards total, 9 legally.
2003 Aljo 259LT

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II

'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Driftwood132
Explorer
Explorer
Hey,welcome to the truck camper world!!! Something I did was to buy a small cermic heater from Walmart a couple of years ago. I have camped when it was in the teens and stayed warm .I also set the gas heat to come on if the electric heater can't keep up or loose power.
When I had my other truck I had the air bags installed ,I kept about 50 pounds in them. This new to me truck that I have now does not need any mods to it. It does need a anti sway bar . Good luck with your truck and camper looks like you have a nice set up.

getpower1
Explorer
Explorer
It never gets that cold where I'm at. Maybe into the mid 30s before sunrise. Who knows where I'll want to take it though. It is what it is. If electric doesn't cut it, then I'll use up the propane.
2003 Aljo 259LT

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
My first test outing was a Wal*Mart parking lot a few miles from my house. It's so liberating having your own, mobile space with the comforts of home.

The fridge should work even if it's not level, though operating it out-of-level too many times will render it toast. If it wasn't working at all during your test run I'd suspect that it wasn't on (assuming 12V) or lit (propane).

There are a lot of propane vs. electric heat threads out there. When you're boondocking you have little choice but to use the propane. I find that the hum of the furnaces help me sleep, but it's jarring to some. In your case, when docked I'd use a portable electric heater if it gets the job done. I've tried that in mine and it just doesn't cut it below freezing.

Welcome to the addiction.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

getpower1
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Propane fridges only need to be within 3 degrees of level. That is 5" in 8'.

On a 16' long pickup truck, the front would have to be 10" higher than the rear, or the rear would be 10" higher than the front. You would barely be able to stand up, and you'd be sliding out of bed.

Where it was sitting on blocks, it didn't look anywhere near 10" off level to me.

Did the fridge work before?

Didn't check, but it was off level. So noticably that we slept with our heads towards the back of the truck camper. The refrigerator did not work before, but we swear we got it to fire up on propane at a buddy's house before we left. Last night in a level driveway plugged in, it worked great. Pictures are deceiving. It had to easily have been 10" off level. For that time, it was just the best we were able to achieve. We plan on going back there this weekend for another one night stay. I walked around before we left and I have another place to park this thing so that it should be level with minimal blocks, if any. Haven't mentioned before, but it is a 3-way unit.

Airbags are rated for 100 psi. From what I understand, airlift has a great warranty and I'm also sure that companies like this under rate these kinds of products to give some dummy room. The ride really wasn't that stiff from stock at 75psi. If they were much lower, the ride felt really unstable around sweeping turns. 75 or so worked great on the pressure. I ordered a hellwig sway bar. I'm not into finding the best "now". I just know that in the old school days that they were the only ones worth buying. I found a great price on one and snatched it up. The tires are rated for 3750lbs each at 80psi. The axle is a Dana 80. I feel plenty safe with the info that I have so far. I'm no stranger to hauling heavy weight. This is what I'm sitting in right now patiently waiting to start my four day weekend.

Edit: not sure if I also mentioned this or not, but the refrigerator seems to be working just fine now. I have already started looking into a small heather to run off of electricity. I have to beef up some insulation too. There are doors on the inside of the camper so you can access the bed and they seem to have a few gaps that I would lose heat through. Even just some packing tape on the hatch seams would keep the heat in a little better.
2003 Aljo 259LT

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you've found a good fit using a TC for your outdoor needs. We too had dirt bikes when our kids we're young, but used a TT at that time. The furnace in our Komfort 19' trailer actually sounded like a gas turbine in the helicopters I fly starting up. Totally unacceptable and made sleeping so difficult that we took the trailer back to the dealer (purchased new from Paul Evert in Fresno) to remedy the issue. They we're awesome in that they replaced our jet engine with a larger and much quieter unit ( don't remember model) at no charge to us.

The reason for this background is to illustrate that you don't have to put up with that annoyance. Our current Arctic Fox 996 has a Suburban NT-20SQ furnace (20K BTU) that works great and is quiet enough that we sleep just fine. I urge you to find someone with a unit like ours to listen to it to see if it will work for you.
Welcome to the TC club, they're a very versatile unit and yes, having a hot shower at the end of a day on the trails is priceless!
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
The fridge would work even off level for awhile, which would eventually damage it. What about on elec. It just may be broke, not because you were off level. Nice set up you have. Enjoy!
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800