cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What did you do to your Camper Today?

NVR2L82AV8
Explorer
Explorer
After a good washing yesterday I got up early (while the camper is in the shade and the temp has not exceeded 100--yet) to put a good coat of Meguiar's Marine/RV one step Cleaner Wax on. I'm a huge fan of Aerospace 303 and use that in-between full waxes. I think it has made a huge difference in keeping the gel coat shiny.

Here's a pic of my nose cap half waxed and half not waxed. Where its parked during non-use the Nose Cap and roof gets the most sunlight.

I was pleased with the contamination that came off the gel coat. I still have some strong bug marks but overall it looks great - all finished and polished! The decals are showing their age! In the heat of the hot summers I get small ripples at the top of the cap. Anyone seen that before?

2013 AF 990
2003 F350 6.0L 4X4 DRW, Oil bypass filter, Coolant Filter, Blue Spring fuel pressure mod, DELO ELC, DashBoss Bluetooth engine monitor, EGT/FP gauge, SuperSprings, torklift hitch/tiedowns, 48" SuperTruss, fastguns, Kenwood CMOS Backup Camera.
336 REPLIES 336

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph , I hope you report back with your findings once you have had a chance to use them
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
I travel solo, so having a Net connection at a campsite gives me something else to do. To increase the chance of having a cell Net connection in the boonies, I installed a weBoost cell booster system. Confirmed it does increase the strength via my phone "bar meter", but haven't had a chance to get a dBm reading yet.

Photos are:
1) Booster antenna in the up position when at a campsite
2) Antenna at the down position when traveling or exiting a woody campsite
3) Inside electronics hookup. Kit came with longer cables than I need, so the excess is hidden behind the seat cushions. I only had one cig lighter output where I wanted to install the system, that I plugged a USB charger into. So, I installed a device with multiple 12v and USB outputs.

Will be hitting the road in early June for several months, so the booster will get plenty of use. 🙂

Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Installed a Victron Energy Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-Volt 30 amp 360-Watt DC-DC Charger behind the drawers in my AF 992

Here's the details.

And here's the details on the heavy gauge wiring from the truck to the camper
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
What happened to your display monitor? It needs a thorough cleaning.

jaycocreek wrote:
I put a thermometer in my Engel compressor

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I installed some sound deadening material in my generator compartment:

Noico Sound deadening mat in gen compartment

I found the mat on Amazon

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
JoeChiOhki wrote:

Very nice :). What made you decide to keep the umbilical cables as attached cables vs adding plugs on the camper, allow for the cable to be completely removed and stored when not in use?

Mostly expense plus finding a place to store (and the time involved 🙂
Though I could justify changing out the shore cord
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
942..Nice

I put a thermometer in my Engel compressor fridge/freezer and against my Lifepo4 batteries so I can read them at a glance and not wonder what either temp is

Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
AnEv942 wrote:
Added umbilical cord caps, made hangers so cords hang vertically

Recently had issue with corrosion again on auxiliary umbilical cord.
(2nd umbilical cord- back up camera, refer control & aux. charge line, AC cord to run refer on trucks inverter)
Though usually bungied up under camper they are exposed to the air can and do corrode. After cleaning
I looked at how to avoid this I stumbled on cord caps, I was unaware these could be had.

Issue though if cord is simply hung caps can fill with water and corrosion will be worse so cords need to
hang vertically with cap up.

I simply bent up some scrap 2" aluminum flat bar, Drilled hole cut slot to capture cords.

Drilled for mounting and bent the tips up a bit.

As umbilcal cords are stiff had to mount hangers at angle. Bedded in caulk and screwed to wall.

Caps should minimize future corrosion, hung against camper wall so wont need to stop when
loading/unloading to reposition cords, easy retrieval to plug in once camper loaded.

Likely other brands-just what I used

Very nice :). What made you decide to keep the umbilical cables as attached cables vs adding plugs on the camper, allow for the cable to be completely removed and stored when not in use?
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cabinet door making router bits, router bit for installing the plastic edging strips used in RVs, the 4 port 12volt powered USB Charging faceplate for the rear bed space.

More varnish, wire shelving for the cabinets so I can finish installing the face frames, and corner molding because the stuff for the wall board is too narrow to go around corners cleanly.

Finished tidying up the wiring inside the bottom of the over dinette cabinet to reconnect the outlets on it and add an additional outlet on the circuit to make one available near the rear folding bedroom.

Also installed the wire shelf in the main section of the cabinet and the maple face frame onto the front.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Added umbilical cord caps, made hangers so cords hang vertically

Recently had issue with corrosion again on auxiliary umbilical cord.
(2nd umbilical cord- back up camera, refer control & aux. charge line, AC cord to run refer on trucks inverter)
Though usually bungied up under camper they are exposed to the air can and do corrode. After cleaning
I looked at how to avoid this I stumbled on cord caps, I was unaware these could be had.

Issue though if cord is simply hung caps can fill with water and corrosion will be worse so cords need to
hang vertically with cap up.

I simply bent up some scrap 2" aluminum flat bar, Drilled hole cut slot to capture cords.

Drilled for mounting and bent the tips up a bit.

As umbilcal cords are stiff had to mount hangers at angle. Bedded in caulk and screwed to wall.

Caps should minimize future corrosion, hung against camper wall so wont need to stop when
loading/unloading to reposition cords, easy retrieval to plug in once camper loaded.

Likely other brands-just what I used
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
Geo*Boy wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
fixed the mounting for the power pannel, put a new motor in the furnace, and discovered I had an intermittent fault in the mother board so ended up replacing that with a dinosaur electronics. works great now. also ordered the slim shade window for the door.

Same thing happened to me, dealer thought the furnace motor had a bad spot in the armature, replaced the motor and found the the solid state board had a micro crack, replaced the board with an analog unit. Dealer didn’t charge me for the motor or the cost to overnight it in.;)

oh mine definatly needed the motor, when I bought it (second hand) it would squeel till it was warm, then the last trip I took in the fall it started squeeling all the time. I originaly took it to a place that rebuilds 12 and 24V motors and they said all it needed was a cleaning and lube, when I went to get it the guy asked if I wanted to hear it run so when he powered it up I heard txhe faintest chirping then it went to a full blown squeel. no charge for the work he did do. bought a new one at a rv place on the way home. it was just dumb luck that my board developed an intermittent fault while I was testing the furnace before I reinstalled it.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
I upgraded my sound and video system. New TV, Stereo and sound bar. It sounds and looks awesome.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
StirCrazy wrote:
fixed the mounting for the power pannel, put a new motor in the furnace, and discovered I had an intermittent fault in the mother board so ended up replacing that with a dinosaur electronics. works great now. also ordered the slim shade window for the door.

Same thing happened to me, dealer thought the furnace motor had a bad spot in the armature, replaced the motor and found the the solid state board had a micro crack, replaced the board with an analog unit. Dealer didn’t charge me for the motor or the cost to overnight it in.;)

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
o on my fishing trip to Lake Amador this weekend I woke up to no power to my Norcold 641-3 fridge no inside power and no power to the selector display. So I checked the easiest things first. the fuses on the camper and the fuses on the power boards. all good. So I popped off the optical display / control button assembly and checked the voltage there. Voltage in, none out. Placed an order with the Norcold Guy on Monday. Board arrived today from Southern California.

The wiring from the new module had a plug in to the front of the fridge mine didn't but the plug on the circuit board looked the same so I popped the board out of the housing pulled the fridge plug off the old board did the same with the new board plugged in the old wire and connector to the fridge hit power on and the display lit up. Selected propane and I heard the igniter and flame go on. 2 phillips head screws later I was back in business.

I love easy diagnostics and fixes . FYI my fridge is 14 years old and had been on continuously for 12 years so I expect some things to fail. While I was at it I ordered a new power board assembly, because its 14 years old...

within 2 hours of making the repair and on AC the freezer is down to 28F and the fridge is at 42F. normal is 14F and 35F
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags