cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What happened around the 14 min mark here?

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
This GMC 3500 is a really nice pickup.

The class 8 rig at 14mins is likely 28,000lbs even if running empty.

dually diesel can't pull with a class 8
31 REPLIES 31

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
mbutts wrote:
It looks like Mr. Truck moves over to pass right after that semi passes him. Maybe slower traffic in right lane?

Mr. Truck moves over to get behind the big truck cause he making a helluva big hole in the air. No trouble to feel it either.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
I believe it was those fools who complained that you cannot see which gear you are running in with the Ram 3500.

Well, as TR would say, bully! You can. Just push the old + or - button on the shifter and it shows in your display (changes from only the D to D plus gear).

Manually shift???? I think those clowns were so unfamiliar with the equipment that doing it the way they were is the only way they can. No one operates a vehicle to its fullest efficiency until they get familiar with any certain vehicle. I mean, it is not rocket science, but there is differences between each that have to be learned over time and use to get the best performance out of a vehicle.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

Community Alumni
Not applicable
dodge guy wrote:
My problem with those guys is the fact they never manually shift the trans to hold a gear. they just let it back off until it shifts. if they manually shift, the trucks will perform much better. that`s why they give you the option of manually shifting. and everyone knows the manuf. leaves a lot to be desired in the shift strategy!

The problem is that it's hard to get an apples to apples comparison when you have the human manually shifting the gears. People will say, "That's unfair. He really should have held that last gear for 35 seconds longer before changing," or "He really should've done it in one gear lower or higher." To make it the most level playing field you have to put your foot on the floor and let the truck do what it wants to do. Yeah it's somewhat unrealistic, but they're just trying to keep the playing field as level as possible.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Just another excuse to get a larger truck.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
My problem with those guys is the fact they never manually shift the trans to hold a gear. they just let it back off until it shifts. if they manually shift, the trucks will perform much better. that`s why they give you the option of manually shifting. and everyone knows the manuf. leaves a lot to be desired in the shift strategy!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
RCMAN46 wrote:
Well I am calling foul and others have also.

Really? What gave you the idea that this was some kind of competition where there was going to be a "winner"?

These videos are more like virtual test drives, where you get to have a feel for the experience of each truck while pulling heavy up a grade. After all, most dealers don't let you hook up a 16k trailer and head to the mountains on a test drive.

So if you were shopping for a new truck, and liked the dealer test drive, the video gives you an idea of how that truck would do pulling a heavy load.

All reviews are subjective in one way or another, and when you see commercials where Brand X smokes Brand Y, you can bet the conditions for the demo were heavily stacked in favor of Brand X so that it would look the best against Brand Y.

If you want stark objectivity, read Consumer Reports.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"I would expect the Blue oval will blow the doors off the Ram and Chevy. There is no substitute for horsepower"

Maybe so but for how long??????

Around 14min mark of that video it looks like torque has something to do with grade climbing ability... faster truck has great big wheels and 2x the torque plus, but no where near 2x the HP...

Pickup guys foot to the floor doing the herky jerky from the trailers kicking...3 mpg

Class 8 guy listening to Willies Road Show, sipping his coffee in his plush air ride suspension, air ride cab, air ride seat whistling by on cruise control... 6mpg?

Anyway what could be more fun than caning someone else's fully loaded new pickup trucks up grades in beautiful mountain scenery?

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Taco wrote:

For the record Mr. Truck owns a Ford super duty gasser.

Well he can't be too smart then......:B jk.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I would expect the Blue oval will blow the doors off the Ram and Chevy. There is no substitute for horsepower"

Maybe so but for how long??????
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Taco
Explorer
Explorer
The chevy only has 2 gears that it can hit peak power in at highway speeds. 2nd should hit peak power at about 45 mph and 3rd at about 58 mph.

The big truck has 10 or more gears that it can hit peak power in, of course some of those gears top out under 10 mph and don't make a bit of difference on the highway. The volvo also likely has more horsepower. So the combination of more gears and likely more horsepower adds up to it climbs better.

I can't promise that the volvo was empty but I can promise you it wasn't grossing 80k.

For the record Mr. Truck owns a Ford super duty gasser.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:
The Volvo has a selection of transmissions 10 at least, along with 13eens and 18eens.Mine is a 12 speed but never uses them all,it starts in 3rd and skips at least 1 or 2 gears until 12th.

RCMAN
I get what you are saying ,makes me wonder why the comparison videos that are posted every few weeks
generate page after page of arguments ?
Are they all meaningless/unfair?
These are the same guys that do them all and none has ever call foul yet.

Well I am calling foul and others have also.

Have you seen both the Chevy and Ram video?

It is clear the Ram had a running start and the Chevy was from a dead start!

Mr Truck is pro Ram and does not do a very good job in hiding the bias.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
The Volvo has a selection of transmissions 10 at least, along with 13eens and 18eens.Mine is a 12 speed but never uses them all,it starts in 3rd and skips at least 1 or 2 gears until 12th.

RCMAN
I get what you are saying ,makes me wonder why the comparison videos that are posted every few weeks
generate page after page of arguments ?
Are they all meaningless/unfair?
These are the same guys that do them all and none has ever call foul yet.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
06Fargo wrote:
I am not convinced 400 hp/800 torques will pull the same weight at the same speed with 400 hp/1650 torques on a grade like this. Even if all other factors can be made the same.

The massive low end torque of the big truck allows it to have it's hp in a flatter range. Unless the semi is lugging below it's operating range then it has way more hp than the GM truck because it does not have the gears to get to it's hp range. If the gm truck geared down then it would slow down because of rpm limit. A semi with only 300 hp and 18 gears would probably still be able to pull the hill faster with the same weight.

Give the GM the same gear ratios as the big truck and them it would be a race.;)
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
hone eagle wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:
What happened at the 14 min mark. I suspect they got caught up in traffic in the truck lane behind a slow semi.

Not much of a test if they did that ,remember it is supposed to be a comparison ,if they slowed down the fans of the truck would howl and demand a do over eh?

How can anyone howl when we are not sure what happened. If they were to show the video of the run from start to stop with no breaks we may then know what really happened.

Then explain why the Ram clock was not stated until the Ram was at speed and the Chevy clock was started at a dead stop. I would not call that very fair comparison.