cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is the risk of exceeding payload?

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on what vehicle we buy, our Airstream will be a 27' twin, or 30' bunk. If we buy the Ford F-250 diesel, will get 30'. But if we are able to safely tow the 27' twin with Tundra, we are going that route. Hitch weight is 781 lbs, dry weight is 5850 lbs.

Main usage will be 1-2 weekend trips a month to the nearby Smoky Mountains of NC and Tenn. For us that's 3-4 hours of hwy and 1-2 hours of twisty and steep grades in the mountains. Mostly on paved roads but some secondary gravel roads. Also will be taking a 2-3 week national parks type trip out west each summer. Wife and I weigh 550, kids are just infant and toddler, but growing. Same applies to our 16 week shepherd, Chena.

Toyota Tundra Max Cab 4x4 Limited or 1794. We fell in love with it the moment we saw it. Heart wants what the heart wants. Fit and finish of the 1794 model exceeds that of every other truck we saw. The issue, the dang sticker in driver door that said payload 1300 lbs.

So, what are the real world risks, warnings, or just plain ole criticisms of exceeding the printed payload by 200-300lbs?

I've seen countless images of much heavier campers than what we are considering being pulled by Tundras. I've read enough and talked to enough owners to believe that this is truly an underrated truck. All the 5/8 ton jokes. Etc.

What measures, if any, could one take to minimize any handling or safety issues associated with exceeding the printed payload? Would changing springs and/or shocks help? Adding an airbag system?

What say you?

Any and all opinions or criticisms appreciated.

Dan
59 REPLIES 59

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
I own a late model Tundra 5.7 and frequent several Tundra/Toyota forums. Where this idea that the Tundra is a 3/4 ton truck in disguise originated is beyond me.

Anybody who has taken the time to crawl underneath a 2007-2015 Tundra when it's loaded to its maximum payload will quickly see 2/3 of the suspension travel is used up. That remaining 1/3 is needed to absorb road shock. There's no magic pill when that remaining 1/3 is used up (if overloaded). At that point the rear axle simply slams into the frame--literally.

Ignorance is bliss--literally.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Payload matters but isn't the end-all. Tire and axle ratings matter as well. Also what type of vehicle matters. Most of us are well aware of the 3/4 GVWR issue. Half tons tend not to have as much play, and in fact in many cases just putting the rated payload in the bed would put you over on your RAWR.

What are the axle ratings on a Tundra?
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The weight of an extra passenger (250 pounds) is not going to result in catastrophic failure of your tow vehicle. It can result in a less comfortable towing experience. The instability of an overloaded rear suspension can give the illusion that the front tires are lifting off the pavement. This may not show up until you have to do an emergency maneuver and then it is too late to hitch up a more competent tow vehicle.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Excessive wear or component failure
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Let's get something out of the way. You can do this and set it up to be safe. The question of a pleasant towing experience is another matter. I have twice towed close to my limits with 2 different combos. It's doable, its safe, but it has limitations. Short trips and stay away from long steep grades. I would not consider, even for a minute, towing over rated capacity.

I don't care how many anecdotal posts you find on the Internet about how the Tundra is "underrated". Says who? Some guy you don't know from Adam? People who will tell you a close to capacity, or over capacity, setup "tows great" more than likely have never towed the same trailer with a healthy margin of capacity. I see posts every week where someone says they switched tow vehicles from a marginal one to one with reserve capacity, and they always rave about the differences in towing and comfort. Also, I see plenty of posts by former Tundra owners who did exactly what you are considering and traded up for a 3/4 ton truck.

While your setup can be safe, what if the worst happens? You are involved in an injury or death accident while towing, even if not your fault. If the greedy lawyers find out that you exceeded any published limitation, what do you think they'll do with that?

Regarding dry weight, that's a fictional number. That's not the weight you'll be towing when loaded. For planning check the GVWR of the trailer, estimate tongue weight based on 13% of that number. More than likely you'll be looking at a 900# hitch weight. Plus you have growing kids. They weigh more as they grow, and they want to bring more toys. Are you taking bikes? Anything else? All of it has to be counted. You'll be exceeding your payload by more than 200-300 lbs.

Honestly, it seems to me you have your mind made up, that you're just looking for justification. If you do this, I predict in 1-2 years, you'll be looking at bigger trucks. Pay now, or pay later.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Save several steps and go with the 30' Airstream... more room and easier to back up. A 6.2L F250 would make a good TV.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

estesbubba
Explorer
Explorer
If you're 300 over based on specs you're going to be a lot more over in reality. That truck payload is probably with a 150 lb driver and nothing else. Add more people, cargo, firewood, etc to that truck and your payload will shrink fast.
--Bubba

2008 Keystone Cougar 291RLS 5er
2015 Ram 3500 SRW Crew Cab with 6.7L Cummins

Our Website

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
People stopping at our corner gas station used to tow big Airstreams from the lower 48 states to Alaska with full size V8 rear drive cars - Cadillacs, LTD's, Olds, Buicks, Chryslers... often with a funny looking Arrow something or other hitch...

I don't remember southbound highboys loaded with wreckage coming back...

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
So you wana be a test pilot?
Explore the 'envelope'
Go 'to the limit' - with your family aboard?
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the dry weight of the trailer is accurate, and you can keep the gross weight down to 7,500 lbs. or less, the Tundra will do fairly well as long as you don't put too much weight in the bed of the truck. My 5.7 Tundra pulls my 6,500 lb. or less trailer without a problem, even in the mountains out west. I pulled my old 29' Sunline which was probably a 1,000 lbs. heavier, and it handled it ok, but I could feel the difference. But you have a growing family, and will want to carry bikes, toys, etc., so you have to think about that.

I think you would be better off getting the Ford diesel (or some other 3/4 or 1 ton truck) and the 30' trailer. If you do that, it's less likely that you will outgrow the trailer, and can enjoy many years of rving/traveling without having to upgrade. And, it's still better to have "more" truck than you need rather than being worried about pushing the towing limits.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
I think the biggest risk for me would be how I would feel if something bad does happen. Whether it was due to the 200-300 over or not, I would always wonder if it was what caused whatever problem to happen. I don't like second guessing myself if I can avoid it. That is my personality trait, it may or may not be yours or your wife's.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Tundra and a 27' TT. It pulled ok and a few times I had to overload it. It was scary but made it. When I upgraded to a diesel I not only went much safer for my family and other drivers but it was so much more easy and relaxing to pull. Don't stress every time you drive and get a bigger truck. You won't regret it.

RJCorazza
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the do not exceed specifications camp. I doubt a few hundred pounds over the vehicle's payload rating is that much of an issue, but I would probably want to know what other ratings may be exceeded, like RAWR and tires.

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
An accident that could kill you. Might be extreme but tire or structural failure could cause an accident. Why risk it. 2-3 hundred pounds over probably not much of an issue, who knows?
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
once you go over weight you put a heck of a strain on the TV. pulling puts a strain on the transmission, the brakes have to work harder as does the engine. suspension also suffers. it is like asking a boy to do the job of a man.