What size truck do I need?
Tony B
63 REPLIES 63

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tony B wrote:
For a little change of pace......

I'm considering a 2011 GMC 2500HD 2wd with about 140,000 miles. The Kelly Blue Book matches what the owner is asking.
This is a gas engine.

QUESTION: If I get a good mechanics report, how much more life does this vehicle have? Either in miles or in years at about 4,000 to 6,000 miles towing 12,500 lb 5th wheel and an additional 6-8,000 personal miles?

Thanks in advance.

Properly maintained engine should go 250k miles. Properly maintained transmission 100k-200k miles.

Neglected maintenance has too many variables to comment on life expectancy.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Those being dry weights....go 350/3500 series....single rear wheel will be fine.
His gvw will be 12192#. Well in line with the new 3/4 trucks. My '05 Montana has a gvw of 12100# and my '04 Dodge has never been overloaded. JMHO.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Tony_B
Explorer
Explorer
For a little change of pace......

I'm considering a 2011 GMC 2500HD 2wd with about 140,000 miles. The Kelly Blue Book matches what the owner is asking.
This is a gas engine.

QUESTION: If I get a good mechanics report, how much more life does this vehicle have? Either in miles or in years at about 4,000 to 6,000 miles towing 12,500 lb 5th wheel and an additional 6-8,000 personal miles?

Thanks in advance.
Tony B

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Greentow wrote:
SO, being somewhat obnoxious as I am, guess my Ram 5500 is a bit of overkill for my 39 foot fifth wheel?
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Absolutely, since You asked!! No really, I had looked at the 4500/5500 Rams myself but unless you opted for the higher gear ratio of 4.56 or 4.88 the tow capacity just wasn't there, plus, the HO Cummins isn't available in that series of trucks. I wanted to drive it as my daily driver also so I didn't want the higher ratios and I wanted the HO motor.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
350/3500 SRW. Also if you buy new or late used, try and find one with the 5th wheel prep, makes life so much easier!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ljr wrote:
justafordguy wrote:
Any new 3/4 ton if properly equipped would handle it but do yourself a favor and go to a 1 ton SRW truck. Doesn't really cost much more and has more payload/GVWR capacity.

X2 and I speak from, very expensive, experience. My rule of thumb is now to select a TV not for this new RV but the next one. That way you won't find yourself trading in a nice truck well ahead of its time simply because your taste in RVs changed.

X3
If buying used that might be ok advice, but if buying new I would also advise gettting nothing less than a 3500/350 SRW for the minor difference in price!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Greentow
Explorer
Explorer
SO, being somewhat obnoxious as I am, guess my Ram 5500 is a bit of overkill for my 39 foot fifth wheel?
Sorry, couldn't resist.
2012 Cedar Creek 36 CKTS (loaded). Mrs Greentow & Missy & Maggie, Shih Tzu's with an attitude. USA(R). 30+ years in the Fire/EMS service, GS Life member.
TV is a 2012 RAM 5500 Quadcab with body by Eby (flatbed). Cummins 6.7 with 6 speed auto.

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
justafordguy wrote:
Any new 3/4 ton if properly equipped would handle it but do yourself a favor and go to a 1 ton SRW truck. Doesn't really cost much more and has more payload/GVWR capacity.

X2 and I speak from, very expensive, experience. My rule of thumb is now to select a TV not for this new RV but the next one. That way you won't find yourself trading in a nice truck well ahead of its time simply because your taste in RVs changed.
Larry

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
STEVEO496 wrote:
Tony B wrote:
would a diesel 6 cylinder like a Cumins 6.7 pull my 5er with a GVW of around 12,300 lbs?

Absolutely, all over the road semi trucks have 6 cylinder engines and pull 80k lbs all day every day. What you really have to look at in an older truck with higher miles is the transmission. The engine itself could easily go for over 500,000 if serviced regularly.

Look at my signature! Not the 2500 number, the Cummins ISB 5.9 6 cylinder with 299,000 miles pulling 11,500# with 3.55 gears.
Better yet look at Cummins12V98 towing about 23,000#!

Yes, six in a row will make it go!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
time2roll wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
But the odds aren't in your favor that the engine will last long.
IMO most any motor running good at 225,000 will probably go 300,000 and work fine 7+ years for the OP.

Don't go to Vegas buddy.....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Tony B wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
.... you know next to nothing about vehicle maintenance/repair or vehicles different capabilities and inequities.
A 225,000mile truck, unless you get lucky or know what you're looking at, is a money pit waiting to happen sitting in your driveway.

And what makes you think That I am not smart enough to get professional services?
I do it with my other vehicles and boats. I even have my mechanic inspect every used vehicle I buy. I taught nyself to sail and I Sailed the Carribbean and crossed the Gulf of Mexico twice, once I did it solo. I even taught myself to fly an ultra light airplane that I built myself. Guess what? I'm still alive and well.In life, you don't have to know what to do, just have to know when someone else should take over.
I don't have to know what specifically is wrong with my car to know that something just ain't right. Keeping a vehicle alive is not rocket science.

Maybe you took this as a dig, it was not. I was speaking towards the economics of owning an old vehicle with high miles and having to pay retail to fix everything that may go wrong.
You're right, it's not rocket science, in fact it it may not require any skill at all with a thick wallet. Point was thick wallet vs skills will come into play much quicker or more often when buying something older and well used.
I bought an old zero turn mower last year. Similar situation. Not going to spend $7-12k for a mower, at least not now. It's a good mower, but I've put several hundred $ into it and some time and have a little more to do. I'm gambling on the engine and pumps and rolled those dice when I bought it. Difference is, the $3-400 in parts and my time would be probably $1500 if I was jsit calling a shop and having them come pick it up and fix it when something broke. Add a couple, more years of that and now I shou do have just bought a $7k mower because I'll have 7k into an old mower which is still an old mower.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
Wild Card wrote:
Peterbuilt

Well at least spell it right... it's "PETERBILT".
Next you'll tell him to get a "Cummings" engine...

you know about spell check right?

makes us all look like fools
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wild Card wrote:
Peterbuilt

Well at least spell it right... it's "PETERBILT".
Next you'll tell him to get a "Cummings" engine...
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
IMO most any motor running good at 225,000 will probably go 300,000 and work fine 7+ years for the OP.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"I'm sure a lot of these questions may sound silly to some of you guys but I'm 70 years old and all of this is new to me."

If you are new, we all were new. No sweat. But being 70 has nothing to do with anything.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad