cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When does a Pickup become a " Historical Vehicle"?

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Saw this the other day. It is a F100 Traytop( image quality is not that good)
but it had " historical vehicle" plates, by expanding the photo you can see them. What is your definition of an historical Pickup and would a F100 qualify?
59 REPLIES 59

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a vintage Oregon "Pacific Wonderland" plate on my '57 Chevy with a current "Special Interest" sticker. For use in car club related activities only, such as parades or car shows. Put 4,400 miles on it the summer of 2018 on a road trip to Minnesota & back. Went to a car show in Henderson, MN during the trip. So while it may be a bit of gray area, in the letter of the law it was completely legal with the intended usage.

Last week I got a Special Interest plate for my '91 Caprice as it is over 25 years old. DMV quizzed me on the usage. To illustrate how often the car is driven, I showed them my 2019 tags (issued in 2017) which were never installed on the plates. They backed down. I got tired of shelling out money every two years for a car that is rarely driven.

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
drsteve wrote:
Back in the day, IF a vehicle made it to 100,000 miles, you were lucky, and it was more than likely ready for the junk yard.

You aint kidding.
The 64 T-bird in my earlier pic was purchased by my dad in the 70's and had just over 60K miles on it.
It needed a ton of work at that time including a valve job. At 80K I rebuilt the eng.
40 years later I restored it at 107K and repaired, rebuilt or replaced just about anything part that moved.

Not all of them. In 1992 I sold a ‘72 Chevy LUV (Isuzu built) with over 220k to my cousin. He drove it throughout college and then sold it to another guy at his work a few years later who drove it who knows how much longer. It used less than a quart of oil in 3k miles when I owned it. It was a great little truck.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
drsteve wrote:
Back in the day, IF a vehicle made it to 100,000 miles, you were lucky, and it was more than likely ready for the junk yard.

You aint kidding.
The 64 T-bird in my earlier pic was purchased by my dad in the 70's and had just over 60K miles on it.
It needed a ton of work at that time including a valve job. At 80K I rebuilt the eng.
40 years later I restored it at 107K and repaired, rebuilt or replaced just about anything part that moved.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just thought of another vehicle motor from the sixties and seventies that would run 300k miles very regularly the Chrysler 225 slant six. Very anemic power wise but would last forever. Seen several in industrial equipment as well. I had a new 1984 Dodge with a 318 that I drove ten years and 200k miles. I sold the Dodge to a friend that drove it another ten years. It was then sold to the son of a person I worked with. He drove it several years and sold it to a teenager that lives just a few blocks away who is still driving it. The transmission was rebuilt but the engine is still original. For the first 20 years Mobil One synthetic oil was used after that I have no idea.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:

That depends on how well you take care of your vehicle, how much money you want to put into it and even where you live.

Here is my buddy's Burb that I just ended up painting for him about 2 months ago. The body work took over a year to do working every now and then on it.

It has a newer Vortec in it with a GM built 700R4 and a stock 12 bolt. It also has huge power disk brakes in the front and big drums in the back along with a 35 gallon custom tank so we can drive a long time before refilling.

This thing is far from ready for the junk yard. It was made in the Oakland Ca factory in 1966 and has been in Ca all of it's life so there was very little rust to deal with.

We towed with this Burb for over 15 years taking a 3 hour drive to the race track and another 3 hours home. I will put this Burb up against ANY new truck for reliability. Comfort? Nope, I will take a new truck. Even then this over 50 YO Burb rides and drives pretty nice.

New tires and rims are going on this year and AC is going in for next year. It needs about another 6 months of work and then it will be ready for another 25 years of hard towing work.

Here is a before and after.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
And all the folks who bitsch and complain about the good ole days and how they don’t make em like they used to are decidedly not well informed.
I’ve been “into” cars and trucks since a little kid.
And anyone who is observant, think about the % of 15-20-30+ year old vehicles you see as daily drivers vs, say 30 years ago.
How many 1990-2000 model vehicles on the road now vs 1960-1970 models back in 1990?

ALOT more
I still see a lot of old grain trucks running around harvest time from the 50's with original drive train. Still see old Ford and Chevy trucks from the 70's and 80's running around. While it might be fun to reminisce about old trucks very few would want to go back to those days. I enjoy going to old car shows but not so much owning one. Part of the fun about reminiscing is remembering fun times with family and friends that are no longer around.

To go back is like asking someone to give up their smartphone for a old black desk rotary dial phone (landline).

blt2ski
Bedlam wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
So my 82 IHC 4600 is classic antique?!?!?
C2500 and spouses ML350 close.

Hmmmmmmm

Marty

30 years before you get "forever" plates in WA - If you are willing to restrict daily use. Maybe if you have a collection, you can drive one a week to keep them properly maintained.

Looks like I typed the IHC year wrong, its a 92.....C2500 a 2000, ML a 2001.
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Bedlam
blt2ski wrote:

Hmmmmmmm

Marty

30 years before you get "forever" plates in WA - If you are willing to restrict daily use. Maybe if you have a collection, you can drive one a week to keep them properly maintained.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
And all the folks who bitsch and complain about the good ole days and how they don’t make em like they used to are decidedly not well informed.
I’ve been “into” cars and trucks since a little kid.
And anyone who is observant, think about the % of 15-20-30+ year old vehicles you see as daily drivers vs, say 30 years ago.
How many 1990-2000 model vehicles on the road now vs 1960-1970 models back in 1990?

ALOT more
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

blt2ski

Hmmmmmmm

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Historical is a fancy name for antique which usually occurs after 25 years of age.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Historic vehicles in MD do not need emissions testing but cannot be used for daily driving. Our current tow vehicle almost qualifies as “historic”.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
BCSnob wrote:
In MD historic tags are available for cars over 20years. For cars over 50years you get a plate designating over 50 (have one on my 1966 mustang fastback GT). Over 60 there is another plate (no registration renewals).
Wild to think my 1999 7.3 F-250 would be a historic vehicle.