cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who has a camper with a slide on single wheel truck

rbcamping
Explorer
Explorer
I was just curious as to how many people are using a 2500 or 3500 single wheel truck with a camper with slide outs.

Has it worked out for you?

Do you wish you had a dually?

How heavy is your set up?

What up grades have you done or plan on doing?
36 REPLIES 36

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Capt. Caper wrote:
Much better then my 01 02 F350 with airbags,rancho's.. Ford did majoy upgrades in 08 that made the difference.

Just to expand on this, the first Ford major upgrade was '05 which also included the coil front springs. If you are considering a SRW to haul a camper, the newer SRWs are almost always going to be better than a several year old truck.

BTW, all of the manufacturers have made upgrades. In '06 the only realistic SRW choice for me and my heavy TC based on payload was a Ford. That's not the case any more.

Likewise, an older DRW isn't nearly as good as a newer one with respect to payload. There is actually some overlap with older DRWs nearly the same as newer SRW with the SRW coming out ahead in some comparisons to older DRWs if you strictly consider payload rating. Besides payload numbers, there are stronger frames on newer trucks, the transmissions, axles, tires, and brakes have been upgraded as well.

Luckily for us TC types, SRWs and DRWs are continuing to be improved with respect to payload.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Bedlam
mkirsch wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
This was coming from someone that has 1500 lb TC on a DRW. If my AF 811 was that light, I would not need to modify my F250 to carry that TC and tow my enclosed trailer either.

It's closer to 2000lbs loaded and ready to camp.

I also have up to 2000lbs of tongue weight.

My TV is 7500 lbs empty and 11,500 lbs hitched and loaded. The weight is distributed differently but my SRW is hauling 4000 lbs.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Capt__Caper
Explorer
Explorer
Well I have my 855S Lance on a 2011 F350 6.7 Crew Cab SRW with no add on's except Timbrens..It carries it fine. Doesn't sway or whatever.
Much better then my 01 02 F350 with airbags,rancho's.. Ford did majoy upgrades in 08 that made the difference.
My tires are stock ContiTR's and they have been so good I am on my 3rd set. I've hit some bad potholes with the rig on and they've held.
2011 F350 Super Duty,SRW, 6.7 PowerStroke,Crew Cab,Lariet,4x4, 3.55 Locking Diff ,Short Box.Timbrens,Happy Jack's, Gator Guard bed liner, Penda bed mat.
2012 Lance 855S 9K Coleman A/C,Duel Batteries

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
mkirsch wrote:
Not any of the TCs mentioned earlier in this thread... ANY of those could be hauled with a DRW truck with ZERO modifications.

What do you do with the OEM wheels and tires after you've bought the 19.5's?

Any could be hauled on a srw without modifications.

I sold mine.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bedlam wrote:
This was coming from someone that has 1500 lb TC on a DRW. If my AF 811 was that light, I would not need to modify my F250 to carry that TC and tow my enclosed trailer either.

It's closer to 2000lbs loaded and ready to camp.

I also have up to 2000lbs of tongue weight.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
JumboJet wrote:
Wrong - I have seen more than one DRW squatting from the loaded TC and required modifications. I have seen responses on this forum from DRW owners that have added anti-sway bars, 19.5" wheels, air bags, Stableloads, etc. etc.

Who throws away a perfectly good set of wheels and tires?

Not any of the TCs mentioned earlier in this thread... ANY of those could be hauled with a DRW truck with ZERO modifications.

What do you do with the OEM wheels and tires after you've bought the 19.5's?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

nycsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Lance 981 with one slide on a 2011 F350 4x4 gas. The Lance is 4k #s wet. Mods on truck, airbags, Superswaystops,Rancho 9000xls. Rig handles well. Dont want a dually. They dont do well on the beach, thats the big deal breaker for me. Plus they are less mauverable. Im happy with my SRW.

Coastal_Wandere
Explorer
Explorer
I am running a 2011 F350 SRW with a Lance 992 (double slide). We bought a SRW because we beach camp and the singles seem to be a better choice in the soft sands we tend to be on in the mid atlantic region. We have air bags which i air up to about 40 pounds and we added a heavy duty rear stabilizer. Truck runs great and pulls the load well. We off road camp and have had no issues. I have put 70,000 miles on the truck and we are well into our fourth season of camping with it. I am running the stock wheels and Continental Tires. I just replaced them at 65,000 miles. I think i could of gotten another 5000 out of them but i did not want to push it. I still have the original front brakes on the truck but had to replace the rear brakes at 50,000.

Big_Rig
Explorer
Explorer
Had the 08 811 on the 00 250 SRW. Upgraded to Ranchos, Helwig swaybar, Stableloads, Ride-Rites and E-rated tires and wheels. The truck hauled the camper ok, but I did have some white knuckle moments on some roads. Still have the 250 and it would probably be still hauling the camper if I wasn't able to get the dually for a steal.
2000 F350 CC DRW 7.3PSD
2008 AF811

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
rbcamping wrote:
What up grades have you done or plan on doing?

The whole point of a dually is that you can answer this question by saying, "NONE!"

You get a truck out of the box that's perfectly capable of hauling all of the aforementioned campers. No muss. No fuss. No suspension gizmos/doodads/gadgets. No throwing away a perfectly good set of brand new tires and rims.

It's just food for thought. Most of the "cons" to a dually are in your head.

I see you list a "2011 PJ 8x20 7-ton deckover equipment trailer".

Bring your DRW on down and load it up like this (notice the level SRW). That is a Case 580C BTW.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
mkirsch wrote:
Most of the "cons" to a dually are in your head.

At least, you admit that there are some real "cons". ๐Ÿ™‚ The first step to recovery. ๐Ÿ™‚

bedrocker
Explorer
Explorer
To all the DRW guys remember that some of these
campers are BUILT FOR SRW trucks but are still
heavy
My F250 cc 7.3 4x4 which has the same rear springs
and over loads as a F 350 just not the 3 5/8" spacer block
the F250 has a 2" block
Now my Lance is a 2003 820 (short bed camper) fully loaded sticker said 3000# wet
fells heavier
I have done these mods to make it drive where I like it
M-55 toyo tires E rated stock rims
KYB monomax shocks
Air lift air bags
torklift stableloads
Towmaster sway bars front and rear (best money spend)
SSBC 8 piston front brake calibers (DRW have same brakes as 250/350)
Slotted rotors all the way around
Hawk LTS pads all around
This is a little much but worth every penny the truck drive great and
stops on a dime Brakes are what everyone over looks
Hope this helps ๐Ÿ™‚

Bedlam
JumboJet wrote:
Wrong - I have seen more than one DRW squatting from the loaded TC and required modifications. I have seen responses on this forum from DRW owners that have added anti-sway bars, 19.5" wheels, air bags, Stableloads, etc. etc.

Who throws away a perfectly good set of wheels and tires?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Bwst
Explorer
Explorer
Been doing this setup for 2 years now. 19.5s were a must, as were the other suspension upgrades. Works well.

2000 F350 CCLB XLT 4x4 SRW, auto, 7.3L dsl, stableloads, airbags, vision 19.5" wheels, Toyo M143 R245/75R19.5, rancho rs9000, superhitch
2008 Host Everest 11.5ft
1984 Searay 210 Cuddy, 260hp Mercruiser, Ez loader trailer, surge brakes both axles