cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is towing with a mid sized SUV or Crossover?

JustLabs
Explorer
Explorer
We're in the market for a mid sized SUV to be used as a second tow vehicle. It'll need to tow a utility trailer with two ATVs,and two dirt bikes. The typical load will be up around 2000lbs. Occasionally a few hundred pounds more.

The only model that's off my list is the Honda Pilot. The VCM (cylinder shut off) with the V6 is too problematic. Oil burning,fouling plugs,vibrations,etc.
2011 Chevrolet 2500HD LTZ 4x4 CCLB Duramax/Allison
2007 Keystone Cougar 289BHS Fifth Wheel.
23 REPLIES 23

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love towing with our Town and Country.. Does a great job.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
kaydeejay wrote:
Campfire Time wrote:
I read really good things about the GM "Lambda" platform (GMC Acadia, Chevy Traverse). I see a lot of people towing similar loads with these.
Only problem with these is the low torque engine.
There's nothing there under 3000rpms so you have to be prepared to let it rev to make progress with a load on the back.
IIRC peak power is somewhere north of 6000 rpms.
With the tow package it WILL tow 5000#, but it's hard work!

North of 6,000 RPM while towing with these V6's in mid-size SUV's? NO sir, that's redline for most.

But he's right about the revs in general, one does need to feel comfortable with the engine rev'ing to 3-4k nearly the entire trip when towing a TT.

High RPM is what these engines are designed for, that's where they make their power. Its only more work for the driver to mentally get used to the engine rev'ing, and understand its not going to blow up.

Get comfortable towing with higher RPM's or buy a diesel. Cause even gas powered V8's towing the same lightweight TT's a mid-suv can tow, get up and rev while towing. I went from the 2012 Pilot to a 5.7L V8 Toyota and it rev's up plenty!

dshelley
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of good recommendations for various brands. I'm sure any of them would be ok for the intended job, but make sure whichever vehicle you choose has a factory installed hitch option. Most lighter duty vehicles with the factory installed hitch will also come with better cooling and perhaps heavier duty suspension parts. Bubba's Hitch shop can install a receiver but probably cannot help with potential overheating or overloading.
2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 5'7"box. 395 HP 5.7 Hemi, 3.92 gear, 8 speed auto. 26 foot Heartland North Trail Caliber travel trailer.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
My wife has the 2011 mdx awd. Tows small trailers really well and has plenty of power. I really like the AWD system one of the best I have ever had.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
JustLabs wrote:

As of now the Highlander is the leading candidate.

Same here. Looking at price, features and safety tech the Highlander looks great on paper. Check out the Edmunds app. Lots of great info.

We also have little need for a third row. Would probably opt for middle row captains chairs.

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
As stated, just about anything will work. My SIL tows occasionally with their Acadia (just a couple wave runners), and they seem to get there. One anecdotal item, though -- they traded a Suburban in on the Acadia, hoping to improve mileage, and my brother in law reports that the difference hasn't been that great. Maybe a couple mpg, but not enough that they have been happy with the change overall, considering the trade-off in space and capability the Suburban offers. I just note that because, if you will tow a lot and might like the extra space, you might look at full-sized SUVs.

For me, the cross-over I'd look at first is the Ecoboost Expedition. Pretty nice vehicle with some get up and go! The diesel imports would be second on my list, but pricey, of course.

Good luck!
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
For what you're towing, all mid-size SUV's will do. Test drive them all and find what you like. I've towed a 3 place ATV trailer with a 2009 Ody and 2012 Pilot with fantastic results and feedback from a couple of my big truck buddies. I have a Sequoia now and dearly miss the Pilot.

You would be making a big mistake not driving the Pilot to see what its like. The VCM issue is blamed for every small vibration owners feel. There is an issue, but verified problems are few. The bigger issue is mostly that the VCM system is more perceptible to some than others. Drive one and see for yourself, that's the only way you will know.

I would steer clear of all Chrysler/Dodge mid-size SUV's. Long term reliability does not exist.

JustLabs
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
Not sure of your price point or passenger requirements but if you don't need a 3rd row I would highly recommend the Toyota 4Runner. I've had 2 in the past and wish I had kept them. A little pricey but what ones aren't these days. Can't beat the reliability or resale value.

Strong V6 power and a tow rating of 5k will handle what you are considering easily. Also one of the few SUVs left with good off-road capability, which I imagine you may do a bit of considering your toys.

No need for a third row. It would be useful on occasion,but not a deal breaker either way.

The tow rating on the new 4 runners is no longer 5000. Its dropped to 4600 IIRC. Still plenty for our needs.

JustLabs
Explorer
Explorer
wcjeep wrote:
Did you mention new or used? Budget? We are in the market for a new midsize Suv. Just did a Lemon Law on a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. It did tow my 1400lb empty car hauler with no problem.

The Toyota Highlander and Toyota Forerunner fit your criteria.

I only buy new. Used vehicles aren't the value they used to be IMO. Budget, is whatever it costs to buy the appropriate vehicle.

Your latest experience with Jeep, mirrors a lot of what I'm seeing on various Jeep forums. Reliability just isn't their strong suit. Its too bad,we really like the Grand Cherokee.

As of now the Highlander is the leading candidate.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure of your price point or passenger requirements but if you don't need a 3rd row I would highly recommend the Toyota 4Runner. I've had 2 in the past and wish I had kept them. A little pricey but what ones aren't these days. Can't beat the reliability or resale value.

Strong V6 power and a tow rating of 5k will handle what you are considering easily. Also one of the few SUVs left with good off-road capability, which I imagine you may do a bit of considering your toys.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
I read really good things about the GM "Lambda" platform (GMC Acadia, Chevy Traverse). I see a lot of people towing similar loads with these.

I rented a traverse LTX and, while it was a nice car, I couldn't imagine towing anything with it. With 4 people in the car (we share not heavyweights) it struggled to get out of its own way. Yeah, lots of high reving, not much get up and go.

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Did you mention new or used? Budget? We are in the market for a new midsize Suv. Just did a Lemon Law on a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. It did tow my 1400lb empty car hauler with no problem.

The Toyota Highlander and Toyota Forerunner fit your criteria.

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
kaydeejay wrote:
Only problem with these is the low torque engine.
There's nothing there under 3000rpms so you have to be prepared to let it rev to make progress with a load on the back.
IIRC peak power is somewhere north of 6000 rpms.
With the tow package it WILL tow 5000#, but it's hard work!
He's not talking about towing 5k#, only 2k, and he's not towing a travel trailer (giant sail!) either.
OK, 2000# would probably be fine. I towed a 3500# boat once and hated every minute!
My old '96 Buick Roadmaster wagon did a MUCH better job with 30 fewer horsepower, but the bottom end torque made all the difference.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
For what it is worth, I've towed a 3010 lb actual loaded weight Escape 17B travel trailer 56,000 miles with a Toyota RAV4 Sport (V6 & Tow Package). The good - 24 - 25 MPG unhooked, and a fun vehicle to drive. The bad? 15MPG towing, small fuel tank, and in 2013 they dropped the V6, limiting tow weight to 1500 lbs. Most towing on secondary roads @ 57 - 60 MPH.