cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who's Towing a 5th with a half ton?

broncobill1964
Explorer
Explorer
How many people out there are towing a 5th wheel with a half ton truck, and the weight of your 5th wheel?
52 REPLIES 52

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
We had a small 5th wheel that weighed 6500. Our GMC 1500 hated it.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing I would add is that Ram 1/2 tons generally have a lower payload capacity than GM & Fords, especially of that time-frame. So that is something you really need to look at.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
For what its worth, I was driving down I-40 here in the Raleigh area a few weeks ago. A new white F-150 was beside me with a nice Cougar fifth wheel. I know Cougar makes some lighter versions and I must admit, it was an impressive looking rig.

I imagine the guy had air bags because that truck had no squat whatsoever. It appeared very stable and it just made me sad knowing they were headed somewhere toward the coast and I was pulling a trailer full of lawn mowing equipment. I exited off at exit 301 and they headed on down I-40 east. ๐Ÿ˜ž

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Stick with a TT. You can tow a much larger TT with that vehicle than a 5er. What was your reason for wanting to move to a 5er? You choice could basically come down to something like a 30' TT vs. a 25' 5er.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
A few years, 2004 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 3.73, tow package. 8,400lb FW.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
Just to chime in - I Am! But, you have to shop very carefully. My F150 with both the Max Tow and Max Payload packages (a pretty rare, custom ordered, configuration) JUST makes the pin weight of my 5th. And we pack very light. To date, I haven't seen specs (not that I am looking very hard) for a 1/2 ton that can do better. Almost all are worse, and therefore not suitable for a fifth. They can pull, but they can't carry.
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Broncobill1964, I sent you a PM regarding my fifth wheel and weights.

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
broncobill1964 wrote:
Right now I own a 2011 Ram Quad Cab 4x4 with the Hemi and tow package. When I bouth this truck in 2011, Chrysler was selling life time warranties with a $100 deductible per visit. As long as I own the truck, it's covered. I bought it. I've read that there a quite a few 5th wheels being made to be pulled by 1/2 tons. I've read that the hitch weight is the key. We have a TT now and want to get a 5th, but I do not want to get rid of my truck. Have not settled on a 5th yet.

Over 15 yrs, I pulled 3 different fifth wheels with two different 1/2 ton trucks. What you understand it right, you will run out of payload before anything else. So, get your fully loaded truck weighed, subtract that from the truck's GVWR and that is what is left over for loaded pin weight. Or you can just focus on not exceeding tire capacity since almost 100% of the pin weight sits on the rear axle. In that case, subtract the loaded axle weight from the rear GAWR and that is your limit for loaded pin weight.

Your next problem is determining what the loaded pin weight will be for a trailer you haven't purchased. Many people use 20-25% of the trailer's GVWR and for smaller units that is pretty good. But if the fiver in question has a large CCC, like over 2000 lbs, then you have to consider if you will carry that much gear. On the other hand, since all fivers have more cargo space in front of their axles, it is ez for say 1000 lbs of cargo to have 30-40% of that weight end up as pin weight.

Finally, if the truck has P tires then changing them to LTs would be a good move.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
You won't have enough payload for a 5th wheel. Most so called 1/2 ton 5th wheel pin weights start around 11-1200lbs. Add another 150-200lbs for the 5th hitch and you're close to 13-1400lbs before you even fill the propane tanks, load the front basement storage and load the front bedroom with gear. Figure about 500lbs added to the pin weight. Now add in truck bed stuff and passengers and more than likely you're over the trucks GVWR, RAWR.
The so called 1/2 ton 5th wheels are 1/2 ton doable before you load them up.
Look at the door sticker of your truck and see what you payload number is. Guessing it's around 1350-1480lbs.

mikeh449
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 3.42 rear 2014 jayco eagle ht 27.5 rlts empty eight 8190 # total scaled weight truck 14500# camp ready

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
broncobill1964 wrote:
Right now I own a 2011 Ram Quad Cab 4x4 with the Hemi and tow package. When I bouth this truck in 2011, Chrysler was selling life time warranties with a $100 deductible per visit. As long as I own the truck, it's covered. I bought it. I've read that there a quite a few 5th wheels being made to be pulled by 1/2 tons. I've read that the hitch weight is the key. We have a TT now and want to get a 5th, but I do not want to get rid of my truck. Have not settled on a 5th yet.

I sent a PM to you.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
spud1957 wrote:
Well broncebill be prepared for a very wide variety of responses.

All 1/2 tons are not created equal. Might want to provide more info on the 1/2 ton you are asking about.

S

I agree, more info needed. There are some 1/2 ton trucks capable of towing certain FWs. There certainly are folks towing well over trucks capability.

Like mentioned, you will get all sorts of replies. OP should also post what FW he is considering.

Jerry

X3

This is so true, some 150/1500 are truly nothing more than grocery getters! While others will have payloads that you see in 3/4 tons.

Most come with P rated tires and very soft springs for that car like ride. If you chose the correct truck and payload a 5er is possible, but you should not push the limits. If what you want in a 5er is beyond the capacities of a 150/1500 then look to a 250/2500 or even a 350/3500, yes the ride empty might be a bit rougher, but the experience towing will be much more relaxing.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
They're out there, but a 1/2 ton will limit your choices in fifth wheels. As pin weight ands payload will be your arch enemies, patience and careful, safe operation will need to be your superpowers.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

broncobill1964
Explorer
Explorer