cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why idle?

Roundtwo-40
Explorer
Explorer
Did a search but didn't find exact question so..I went into work yesterday and a service truck was parked by our entrance with the back open and it was idling (not a big deal, happens often) I went back out over an hour later to get something out of my car and it was still there and still running. Here the Diesel fuel price is well over $4 a gal and I have heard many people with maintenance problems with their turbo over soot deposits from idling that are pretty expensive. So I guess my question is why would you leave it running? No one leaves gas engines running unless you would be gone like less than 2 minutes..call me uninformed but I guess I don't understand. Anyone care to educate me?
2013 Jayco Eagle 328RLTS w/15K AC
2013 Ram 2500 CTD CC 4X4
Equalizer 14K,PI PT30C Surge
65 REPLIES 65

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
I would be faced with a problem. I take my dogs with me wherever I go, if the temps are in the 80's my dogs will die if I leave them in the truck without the A/C running.

I lock the doors and keep the A/C on for my dogs. I don't do it often but why the temps are in the upper 90s it can get dangerous in 5 minutes.

I worked as a cop for 20 years and I would have never wrote a ticked to someone that was running the A/C to keep their dogs alive.
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
THere is an anti idle rule up here too! Not sure if it is state passed, or city passed. You can idle per say if you have a tank truck that is using the main motor as the pump, or it has a box lift for a person to get to power lines, trees etc to trim. Even the bridges that go up have signs asking to shut down when the bridge is up etc. At least in the Greater seattle area these types of things exist.

Marty

I thought it was pretty strange that Washington isn't listed anywhere as having restrictions- must be legislation too new to have made it onto the lists/articles the trucking industry puts out.

With Washington, thirty Sates now have some sort of rules! link
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

blt2ski
THere is an anti idle rule up here too! Not sure if it is state passed, or city passed. You can idle per say if you have a tank truck that is using the main motor as the pump, or it has a box lift for a person to get to power lines, trees etc to trim. Even the bridges that go up have signs asking to shut down when the bridge is up etc. At least in the Greater seattle area these types of things exist.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Gary C wrote:
The prohibition against idling seems to be a east coast/west coast thing, in other words states where the greenies hang out.

First time I ever heard Texas characterized as full of greenies, but since it's on the list of States with anti-idling rules I guess it must be crawling with the pesky little buggers. Looks like there are an awful lot of them in middle America, too...

I always thought there were scads of greenies in Washington State, but since we don't make the list at all I guess somebody left the gate open and they escaped. 😉

Well your neighbor to the South has a 5 minute rule unless you go to Ashland! They can throw you in Jail!

OR,
Ashland
5 minutes
Fine:
Not >$500 or 60 days
imprisonment
(AMC §1.08.010)

-
Traffic conditions
-
Power equipment to load or unload
-
Emergency, utility, construction and
maintenance vehicles to power work
-
related
functions
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Gary C wrote:
The prohibition against idling seems to be a east coast/west coast thing, in other words states where the greenies hang out.

First time I ever heard Texas characterized as full of greenies, but since it's on the list of States with anti-idling rules I guess it must be crawling with the pesky little buggers. Looks like there are an awful lot of them in middle America, too...

I always thought there were scads of greenies in Washington State, but since we don't make the list at all I guess somebody left the gate open and they escaped. 😉
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Gary_C
Explorer
Explorer
The prohibition against idling seems to be a east coast/west coast thing, in other words states where the greenies hang out. Here in Mississippi I doubt anyone could care less if you left your truck idling or not. Diesels lean out to about 85:1 air/fuel mixture when idling, they burn very little fuel idling. In the winter at least, you probably use more fuel starting and warming the thing than you would leaving it idling for an hour or so. It's a classic case of a solution in search of a problem. I know many parts of the country are that way, but I don't hang out in places where I have to worry about someone stealing my truck as soon as I turn my back. Leaving a vehicle parked and idling just isn't a big deal to me, and I don't want to live in a place where it would be.

My current dogs don't usually ride with me, but I used to have an old dachshund that went everywhere with me, he loved to ride in the truck. I always left the truck idling with the air conditioner blasting in hot weather (10 months out of the year down here) when he was with me. I had two sets of keys and I'd lock him inside taking the set with the fob with me. I'd come back and he'd be curled up asleep & snoring with the truck about 60 degrees inside. He passed 5 years ago and I still miss him riding with me. I have two more great dachshunds now, but they haven't gotten into the truck riding lifestyle like the older one did.

J-mans_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
Commercial diesel vehicle owners warned of idling restriction
Airborne Toxic Control Measure to Limit Diesel-Fueled Commercial Motor Vehicle Idling
All of the Ports in California (Port of Oakland, Port of Long Beach, Port of LA, etc.)have required commercial vehicles to install or upgrade to low particulate emissions vehicles. Fines of up to $1000 per incident and up to $10K per day.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
I will just tell the officer that my pet snake is in there. " What to look?"
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
The only time I will leave my truck idling is if my Pups are with me. I use the key fob to lock the doors. When I do this it is only for a minute or two. I am sure that the same Cop that would ticket you for idling would also ticket you for leaving a pet in a Hot Truck, WHICH SHOULD NEVER BE DONE! Down here in Florida Cops do look on people that leave pets in hot cars in a very unfavorable light, as they should.

If I am ever ticketed for idling because of my pets, I will fight it in court.
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona

2500_Grunt
Explorer
Explorer
There is discussion on other diesel forums about this topic. Some don't like the theory of excessive wear and tear on the engine (on start up) in regards to shutting down often for short periods of time and then re starting. Some believe that there is a small moment of time or travel while the piston travels without little or no lubrication b/t the rings of engine. This over time adds wear and reduces the life of a engine. For me, the Dodge A/c has trouble keeping up with the 115 degree summer AZ months and I have it locked and running with my removable key fob.
2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 SRW long bed
2014 FS28 Evergreen Amped TH Blue Ox 2000# WDH
2300CC VW turbo 4 seat sandrail, Yz450f, 350 Raptor quad

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
I left my truck running ONCE to run into a store.

Came back out to a crowd gathered around the truck and a very very
very angry cop with an agenda.

Holding my keys in the air I had to listen to a 10 minute lecture of
trucks left running with keys in it equals teenagers stealing it, running from police, police chases and fatalities....all because of my poor judgement and actions.

I have to admit his lecture hit home and I have NEVER left my truck running since then.

I would have told him to bite me on leaving the keys!

And you would have left in handcuffs, probably with a very impressive collection of blunt-force injuries!
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terryallan wrote:
As for you ideling your diesel to cool it in a campground. Fact is. By the time you slowly drive to your campsite. Your diesel is cooled enough to turn it off. When you leave. By the time you hookup to your trailer, and slowly drive to the Cg exit. Your diesel is warm enough for the highway.

When I drove trhe big trucks. By the time we came off the ramp, and eased up to the pumps in the truck stop, or parked for the restaurant. The diesel was cool enough to turn off.

Wow...you can see my pyrometer from there! You have GOOD eyes!
Current rig:

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
WyoTraveler wrote:
skipnchar wrote:
IN many parts of the country (US and Canada) they would ticket the driver who leaves their vehicle at idle unnecessarily.

I sure would like to see the section in the law for that cite. I'm not saying it isn't there. I'm just saying I'd sure like to read it. I sure wouldn't want to be the officer writing the cites at a truck stop. :B

The fine in Massachusetts can be as high as ten thousand dollars.
Current rig:

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
N3YMY wrote:
WyoTraveler wrote:

I sure would like to see the section in the law for that cite. I'm not saying it isn't there. I'm just saying I'd sure like to read it.

Welcome to Maryland:

http://www.mde.maryland.gov/PROGRAMS/AIR/MOBILESOURCES/DIESELVEHICLEINFORMATION/DIESELREGULATIONS/Pages/index.aspx

Been cited for it with our old F-350 that was on an idle timer. Got cited even as the truck shut itself off with the officer present.

Counts as moving violation 😕

And the whole time he was giving this ticket his car was running........
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.