Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winterization Air vs Chemicals...... Your 2 cents please

23hitman
Explorer
Explorer
First timer

Looking for the experienced voices to throw in your 2 cents as to using the RV anti-freeze vs blowing out the lines with air (like the sprinkler system @ home).

The TT will be stored outside in northern Utah so it will see brutal conditions behind its tarp coverings and cold temperatures.

Thanks in advance!
41 REPLIES 41

WillyB
Explorer
Explorer
I always used AF until switching to air two years ago. The first winter (mild) was fine. The second, (cold) the pressure wouldn't build in the spring. After a little search, I found a plastic sediment filter between the pump and tank that had frozen and cracked. Now I blow out and then remove the filter when I remove the anode from the water heater in the fall. JMTC.

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
I can’t speak for him, but
It is the air flow(volume) that moves the water long not pressure… you could as effectively winterize using a shop-vac as long as the backflow preventer is held open… that is a concern using small low volume high pressure compressors…
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
SprinklerMan wrote:
I am an irrigation contractor , I use air , 100 cfm compressor , open everything at once , done in a couple minutes .

cfm or psi????

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
I've always blown out the lines and put AF in traps. (Windshield washer AF will do for traps, but not for potable water lines.) Only problem I ever had is the year I forgot to blow out the kitchen spray head -- had to replace it due to freezing and cracking.

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540

Tennessee_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
We use AF. It's piece of mind and cheap. We camp into the frosty months here in East Tennessee so I might winterize, de-winterize and re-winterize 3, 4, maybe 5 times toward the end of the season. I can blow the lines out and pump AF in 10 minutes. Too easy. I keep a gallon milk jug of water with a little bleach in it and pump it through the lines before we leave and the lines are clean and smell nice and fresh when we get to the campground.
2010 Keystone Montana 3455SA Quad Slide
4 Goodyear G614's
2017 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 Crew Cab
6.7L Cummins® Turbo Diesel
B & W Companion Hitch
All Made In USA

*I chose the road less traveled... Now I don't know where the hell I am*

Denlor
Explorer
Explorer
We are in Alberta, Canada and it gets very cold in the winter so we use both air and antifreeze but some just use antifreeze. Just do not want to take the chance that some water may be in a low section of the water line and freeze causing many dollars for repair. We make sure outside shower and all water outlets are cleared of water and have never had a problem even at 40 below. When you see pink coming out of the tap you are good, usually 2 people to do the job right.
Good luck

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
I am an irrigation contractor , I use air , 100 cfm compressor , open everything at once , done in a couple minutes .

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
I blow mine out add AF and blow it out again add AF to the drains…

People will argue this forever and never settle it… but be sure of one thing, no one that has recommended air only has also offered to guarantee their advice… and while we hear these same silly arguments every fall, every spring we read a lot of post about how to fix the cracked toilets and fix a leaking water line…

In the end it’s your decision, your RV, and your nickel… spent it wisely…

one more thing I have never seen a waterline installed in a RV that would completely drain to one end or the other, or to the low point drains… they always go over or around things leaving plenty of low spots in them…
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
I use the air method. I like not having to get the AF out of the lines and I have done it more than once each year when ever we get a chance to extend our season.
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

Taz_23
Explorer
Explorer
sgrizzle wrote:
is there a "connector" to go from the air hose to the "water" hose connection?

Blow out plugs are available at any RV dealer in the north and Walmart sells one made by Camco. I live in Northern Wisconsin where winter temps of 25 below zero are not uncommon. Sometimes we get stretches where it does not get above 0 for several days at a time.
I use the air method and have never had a problem. Keystones owners manual says either method is acceptable. If you have a black tank flush make sure you flush the water out with either air or antifreeze as that is also "freezeable", as well as any outdoor water lines such as shower or kitchen. As for the water pump Keystones manual says to drain the fresh water tank and then run the pump for thirty seconds to clear out any remaining water in it. Go with whatever method makes you comfortable. Do it propely and you will be fine.

forumcoach
Explorer
Explorer
The antifreeze helps keep the fitting seals lubricated so they don't dry out and leak as fast.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also catch and reuse much of my antifreeze. I run that through the boat. Then drain the boat drains also just to be sure.

sgrizzle
Explorer
Explorer
is there a "connector" to go from the air hose to the "water" hose connection?