cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winterizing Atwood Water Heater

facory
Explorer
Explorer
How do you winterize a trailer that has an Atwood water heater? It does not have an anode rod. The manufacturer installed a water heater bypass kit. The heater has a plastic drain plug that is hard to get to. I'm thinking that has to be removed to drain the heater.
2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike
16 REPLIES 16

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Looked up how to winterize on the Atwood site. Step 4 under winterizing states:

"Leave the Drain Plug out and close the Pressure Temperature Relieve Valve. The approximately two quarts of water remaining in the tank after draining will not cause damage to the tank should freezing occur."

They also state to flush the water heater with water or air.

facory
Explorer
Explorer
Of course plugs don't cross thread themselves. They just lay there until someone does something with them. So, just be cautious when starting to screw it into the heater. Keeping a couple extras is always a good idea.
Schwinn Mountain Bike

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reinstall the plug. Not only will it keep bugs out but will also help prevent the threads from rusting. I like the plastic plug because if I ever cross thread one, it will be the plastic plug that gets damaged.

You do not have to get every last drop of water out of the heater. Any water left will have plenty of space to expand when the first freeze comes.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:
AND do yourself a favor and go out and buy a couple replacement drain plugs to keep on board the RV you'll be needing them.

Those cheap plastic plugs cross thread and the head easily gets stripped from taking it out.

The plugs don't "cross thread" -- People cross thread them.

In ten years of trailing and draining the heater several times a year. I have never had a problem with my plug.
All that it takes is a little bit of care and not tightening it too tight. Just taught

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Thanks Old-Biscuit, that explains why mine has a 7/8 head and people keep saying you need a 15/16.

To the OP, as others have said just drain the tank and flip the bypass to winterize it. When you put it back in just put it in finger tight, but as tight as you can do it. I've done that for 10 years and never had a leak. It also makes it really easy to get the plug out again to drain the tank.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
BluegrassBill wrote:
My Atwood drain plug is 7/8". I use a 6" wobbler extention socket and Ratchet. I also siphon out the last quart or so of water in the bottom of the tank. When draining open the pressure relief valve. The use of Teflon plumbing tape helps keep the plug from seizing, Apply at start of camping season.

Yes older models used the 7/8"

Newer models use 15/16"

Same 1/2" NPT threads for drain hole
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BluegrassBill
Explorer
Explorer
My Atwood drain plug is 7/8". I use a 6" wobbler extention socket and Ratchet. I also siphon out the last quart or so of water in the bottom of the tank. When draining open the pressure relief valve. The use of Teflon plumbing tape helps keep the plug from seizing, Apply at start of camping season.
Bill & Kathy Francis
95 Itasca Sunrise 29RQ,P32 454 Chevy, Banks,ECM chip.Safe-T-Plus, Bilsteins, Super Steer Bell Crank, Stewart Stage 1 Waterpump, Severe Duty Fan Clutch, OilGuard Bypass Filter, Coolant Filter. Rear Tracbar. 1-5/8" Front Swaybar.

facory
Explorer
Explorer
Bought it.

Thanks
Schwinn Mountain Bike

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
facory wrote:
Where do you buy replacement plugs?

Any RV Parts Store
VIA Internet

Atwood 91857 ....... 2 drain plugs per package $7-$8

facory
Explorer
Explorer
Where do you buy replacement plugs?
Schwinn Mountain Bike

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Close any valves going into/out off water heater tank (Cold/Hot ----backside of tank)
Open 'Bypass' Valve

Open T&P Relief valve .........
Remove Nylon Drain plug (15/16" Six Point Socket)

Drain/flush tank. Close T&P Relief and hand install Nylon plug
(The quart of water left in bottom of tank will NOT cause issues)

No anode rod because of Atwood's aluminum clad alloy tank
Aftermarket sells them for Atwood....don't buy/use. Waste of money/gimmick

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
AND do yourself a favor and go out and buy a couple replacement drain plugs to keep on board the RV you'll be needing them.

Those cheap plastic plugs cross thread and the head easily gets stripped from taking it out.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
sremsing wrote:
You don't winterize water heater. Drain it, then turn on the water heater bypass. Then you can winterize the plumbing.

The process described above is the method of winterizing a water heater.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

facory
Explorer
Explorer
What size socket will I need for the drain plug?
Schwinn Mountain Bike