cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you get new tires ?

Inlet
Explorer
Explorer
This will be my 8th year riding with my stock Michelin, LTX AT2 tires. Super ride and handling on my 2016 K3500 CC SRW truck with my Lance 650 TC. Full wet payload 3500 lbs. Tires “look “ great with only 30,0000 miles on them. So the question is do I obey the rule of 6 yrs old and replace these tires? I know there are many things that you cannot see in a tire… Would any of you trust a tire inspection ? Thanks for any advice.
John And Beth

2017 Lance 650
2016 Chevrolet Silverado K3500HD LT 6.0/CC/SB/4.10/Tow Package
28 REPLIES 28

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Fwiw, and I’m serious, any of y’all that live near me and plan on paying the tire shop a couple bucks a piece to throw away any perfectly good brand name 6 or 7 year old tires with 50% tread or better, get ahold of me. I’ll take ‘em.
Help fight inflation by using or selling your tires to someone who will happily use them!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have tires just hitting 6 years old and 16K miles. I have been watching cracks appear on the edges of the tread. Now I am starting to see very faint sidewall cracks. I don't trust them anymore so decision will cost close to $2K.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
phil-t wrote:
Who has the statistics on the failure rate of properly maintained 6 year old tires compared to new?

Have no clue, but even if it's one in a hundred, you won't care about the other ninety-nine if you're the one.

Think like the insurance companies, or the medication manufacturers - they hire risk actuaries to decide what the failure rate is on the products they sell. Which category would you like to belong, the failure side or the safe side. We'd never test the longevity limits on our tires ...
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad
Just replaced four 245/70/19.5 tires on my F-350. Old tires were about 7 1/2 years old and looked to be in good shape. Had some trouble finding new fresh tires to replace them. Tire places don't track DOT codes when ordering. Some I turned down were a couple years old.
BTW, Discount tires now sells and installs 19.5 tires.

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
Who has the statistics on the failure rate of properly maintained 6 year old tires compared to new?
2014 Allegro 36LA

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
The damage a blowout can do is much more costly than a set of tires ... especially if you think about family or friends that might be riding on those six-year old tires with you. You've driven 30K miles and six years, which runs about four cents a mile even at the top end of tire pricing. You got your money's worth. 🙂

Lots of places you can save a few bucks, tires are not in that category. IMHO

Totally agree 100%

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
The damage a blowout can do is much more costly than a set of tires ... especially if you think about family or friends that might be riding on those six-year old tires with you. You've driven 30K miles and six years, which runs about four cents a mile even at the top end of tire pricing. You got your money's worth. 🙂

Lots of places you can save a few bucks, tires are not in that category. IMHO
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you have base model 17s my answer is also different as with 3500lbs of TC in the bed, (that’s a lot of **** in a Lance 650 btw, some spring cleaning and losing a bunch of dead weight might be a good anonymous recommendation…) I’d just find some newer takeoff 18s or 20s tires and wheels.
That solves several problems.
1. You get better load capacity tires than the milquetoast 17s which are their own story.
2. You get rid of the arguably questionable old tires and arguably questionable quality being Michiblows.
3. You can get a nicer newer higher weight cap set of tires in more desirable rim size.
4. You can get newer wheels and tires for less $ than just new tires alone.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
MarkTwain wrote:
Continuing to use tires over 6 yrs. Is like playing dice at Los vegas, the odds of not having a blown tire and possible accident and or damage to your RV ARE NOT IN YOUR Not GOOD !! Buy new tires??

Really? You must be clairvoyant to see/know how the OPs tires were cared for.

However that said, having a set of Michiblows that are that old and not all dry rotted is like winning at dice in Las Vegas. If the OP had said almost any other (name) brand I wouldn’t have even mentioned it. Never had good luck with Micheylins.

But if the truck has been primarily garaged which I’m guessing is likely with a 7 year old grampa miles-mobile, they may be just fine.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 7 year old Michelin LTX AT2 with 15K miles on it blow at 60mph. It did over $3000 damage to the fender well of my truck and was not a fun experience while towing a 30' trailer. Don't know if I hit something or if it was age related but after that experience I would suggest buying new ones. Don't know about them being good for 10 years but I'm pretty sure after 9 years most tire places will not repair them for a nail puncture.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Continuing to use tires over 6 yrs. Is like playing dice at Los vegas, the odds of not having a blown tire and possible accident and or damage to your RV ARE NOT IN YOUR Not GOOD !! Buy new tires??

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
I had 2 sets of Michelins on my MH. I have seen posted the Michelins are good for 10 years if you are not seeing any stress cracks in the sidewalls or an unusual tread pattern forming.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I would replace them and sell the old ones on CL. Used tires are popular with those folks that need them for their old beater truck.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides