cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

vickiebec
Explorer
Explorer
Go Izzy! I had a big white rescue cat named Too and we we moved into a new neighborhood the neighbor told me his Dalmation wood chase cats. Where low and behold he went over there right away. The neighbor told me he was watching him out the window and the dog started chasing him and too started to run then stopped dead in his tracks, turned around and looked the dog in his eyes as if to say go ahead chase me. Well the dog turned around and went back to the house. My neighbor said we wouldn't have to worry about them again. I had him for eight years, lost him a year and half ago. Still miss him. He use to sleep on my back in bed. Keep up the good work Richard. I would love to take in more cats but my DH says no more.
Vickie Wallis
Roseville, CA
2010 Mini Cooper Convertable

robbins1
Explorer
Explorer
My latest rescue kitty is called Pumpkin. At 6 weeks old she was the size of a 4 week old. She's now 12 weeks old and ten feet tall and bullet proof! She can certainly make my dogs sit up and take notice. On the other hand, my 9 year old cat hasn't been anywhere near the kitchen since we brought a puppy home 6 years ago. She's a big old gal,but has no truck with dogs. I agree about the numbers...gotta have at least 2 to have fun. It might be that Izzy reminds Ole Fella how much fun there is to be had. Sounds like Ole Fella is getting younger at heart every day!

~~~ruth~~~
~~~ruth~~~

Chemgoddess1
Explorer
Explorer
I think to get the full enjoyment out of our furkids you have to have 2. Not an evening goes by that I am not laughing from Quincy's and Chloe's antics. I think it helps that they are both goofballs to start.

2007 Fleetwood Utah PUP
Me (Pam)
John (husband)
Ian
Ben
Quincy (My heart dog, Rainbow Bridge January 2015)
Chloe (very lucky rescue furkid)
Spike (Iguana eating all the strawberries he can on the other end of the rainbow)

[purple]live well, laugh often, love much[/purple]

Buz2b
Explorer
Explorer
jdreid wrote:
Please keep posting the animal antics - I'm laughing so hard I'm crying! (Someone pass the Kleenex.) I've got cats (rescue) and dogs (rescue) also, and I LOVE to get one over on my cats.:B
Our kitty Pita is like Izzy; just a "small thing" at 22 lbs. Years ago when we had a young Sheppard/Husky mix pup, we used to look out the sliding glass doors to the backyard and see the dog chasing Pita in one direction around the yard. Then you'd blink once and you'd see Pita chasing the dog around in the opposite direction. :B They'd go on like that for several minutes until Pita would get tired and sit up on the top of the fence to torment the pup. Needless to say, we got a lot of laughs with those two.
2005 F-150, Factory Tow Package
2006 Keystone Z271 Zeppelin II
Bill, Pixie, Honeybun the rescue and our DOTL cat Pita

lynno62
Explorer
Explorer
So nice to be smiling when reading this thread vrs. crying. Oh how I love the updates.
Lynno & Girls
Mickey 8yr old Black Lab German shepard mix
Brandy 1yr old Black Lab(May she rest in peace)
1977 Scamp 13'TT
1995 jeep 4x4

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Happytraveler wrote:
I really don't know to much about cats. Can the cat get away from the dogs without getting hurt.

Believe me this cat can hold his own with any two dogs. He weights 23 pounds and has razor claws and paws the size of a ---- well a 23 pound cat. The dogs really don't mean him any harm, they just love the chase. When Izzie gets enough he stands his ground and the dogs do a causal retreat. What is so funny is, Izzie has had the rule of the house until tonight. But if I know Izzie he is planning something for tomorrow just to get his dignity back.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Mokie_s_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Please keep posting the animal antics - I'm laughing so hard I'm crying! (Someone pass the Kleenex.) I've got cats (rescue) and dogs (rescue) also, and I LOVE to get one over on my cats.:B

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I really don't know to much about cats. Can the cat get away from the dogs without getting hurt. All I know about cats are my dogs are scaredy cats when it comes to cats. I think their scared of cats, opossums and skunks. How funny two big dogs chasing a cat and can't make it through the doorway.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Camper_Carl
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Just too funny for words. Izzie came walking through the den, being very cautious, almost as if he is gliding across the floor. Just as he comes by me I shuffle my feet across the floor, Izzie goes straight up and turns in mid air and hits the floor running. Old Fella and Levi, they are smiling ear to ear.

Go get em' kids. That is way to funny. Thanks for the pick me up Richard. Up until now, have had not much to smile about today. Its been on of those days that the last thing you did right was go to bed last night....:):):)
If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of
payments on your RV.

2007 campouts: 2
Days: 6
Miles Towed: 475

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Just too funny for words.

Richard, now just who's side are you on?
I've no doubt the feline will get revenge, when you least expect it ... they have longer memories than elephants. Not as long as a wife's memory though.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just too funny for words. Izzie came walking through the den, being very cautious, almost as if he is gliding across the floor. Just as he comes by me I shuffle my feet across the floor, Izzie goes straight up and turns in mid air and hits the floor running. Old Fella and Levi, they are smiling ear to ear.

Wife Sue

MrsSoCalToolGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Well folks it is comedy time. Izzie took a swipe at Old Fella and missed but got Levi. Levi takes off after the cat and Old Fella decides to join in, he's had enough of Izzie's stalking around like a 100 pound cat. All three get to the hall doorway and collide as the passage way is too small for two large dogs. Izzie 1, doggies 0. I can't find Izzie right now, he's hiding. Old Fella and Levi are saying "Here kitty, kitty, kitty"

I didn't know Old Fella could move so fast!

Since I am really a cat person, "go get um Izzie" . I don't think Izzie is hiding, he is just laying in wait.:B.... It's nice to have active, happy animals in your home. All we have left, is one old lazy diabetic cat.:)Barb
2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
2011 Scion XB

Chemgoddess1
Explorer
Explorer
Wayyyy too funny!

2007 Fleetwood Utah PUP
Me (Pam)
John (husband)
Ian
Ben
Quincy (My heart dog, Rainbow Bridge January 2015)
Chloe (very lucky rescue furkid)
Spike (Iguana eating all the strawberries he can on the other end of the rainbow)

[purple]live well, laugh often, love much[/purple]

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Ahhh, a game of "chase the kitty!" They're all playing, hurray! Izzie might not realize it's playing, but he soon will. :W
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

thejacksons
Explorer
Explorer
It's the quiet ones you have to watch! Way to go Ol Fella. Pity you didn't have a camera ready Rich.

Wendy
04 GMC Envoy XUV
05 Trail Bay 31ft. Model:TB31FK
Wendy and B.J.
The furry kids Tonka & Lilly Mae