Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Glacier Nat Park

rjansen518
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip from Minneapolis MN to Glacier Nat Park early
June via Medora ND. Any advice on RV parks or interesting sites? Pulling 24' trailer.
29 REPLIES 29

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
dave54 wrote:
If you are in Glacier before the road opens a special opportunity exists. The road is closed to vehicles, but open to nonmotorized use. You can bicycle the Going to the Sun road without dodging cars and breathing diesel exhaust.

Now that sounds like a good thing!

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are in Glacier before the road opens a special opportunity exists. The road is closed to vehicles, but open to nonmotorized use. You can bicycle the Going to the Sun road without dodging cars and breathing diesel exhaust.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We're also going to Glacier this summer - glad to get all the input folks gave on the campgrounds. We booked the KOA on the east side of the park - one reason was that the Red Bus tour will pick up at right at the campground.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
If you are in the Medora area Theodore Roosevelt National Park is nearby. Well worth a day or two in the park with the ND badlands.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

Army11Bravo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mount Rushmore and Little Bighorn are great stops along the way. I live just outside Glacier National Park, and in years with typical snowfall, the snowplowing crews start plowing the 52-mile "Going to the Sun Road" in April and finish around mid to late June. This weekend we are getting hit with another foot of snow and GNP will see 2-3 feet. This year will be above average snowfall, so I wouldn't expect the entire road opened until closer to the 4th of July.

As far as campgrounds, St. Mary Campground inside the east side of the park is very nice. Camping here will allow you to access the east side of the park even with the road closed at Logan Pass on the continental divide. Camping on the west side, the West Glacier KOA is very nice with plenty of amenities. For a cheaper spot inside the park, Apgar Campground is just inside the west entrance and nicely wooded with great bike trails.

Just know that you cannot pull a trailer over the Going to the Sun Road, you must drive around the southern part of the park on Highway 2. However, you can explore lots of the park in a tow vehicle no matter if the summit is cleared of snow or not.

Enjoy your trip!
Army 11 Bravo - Gulf War Veteran
Wife, Two Teen Boys, Hound Dog (Daisy) & Beagles (Lily & Bailey)
2014 Springdale 267SRTWE Bunkhouse Travel Trailer
2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate post
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Re: West Glacier KOA. We stayed there three years ago and their best space was beautiful and priced in the mid $80's. It's now $116 for that space and mid $80's for their standard space. KOA's, for the most part, are getting way too expensive. We're going to Glacier in July and have found a nice park in Kalispell for $38 a night.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
West Glacier KOA is one of the best and loaded with amenities - but you pay for it.

The west side is the more commercial; the east side has more hiking, etc. The KOA on the east side is good.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Search this Forum for `Glacier'. Also do the same search in the RV Parks section. Take your hiking boots. The 600 steps path to Hidden Lake is a very popular hike. I'd post a photo but I don't know how.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't generally care for KOA's but the West Glacier KOA park near the west entrance to the National Park is quite exceptional.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Stop at the Little Big Horn National Battlefield. Well worth a day; it's historic and beautiful.

Also, the Big Horn County Museum is really interesting.

Both of these are off I-90, between the Wyoming state line and the I-94 junction.

Marias Pass on the south end of the park is expected to get up to 5 feet of snow in the next 2 days. Logan Pass may not be open until late July this year!

But there is lots to see even if Going to the Sun road is not open all the way across the park. Well worth going.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Bayerlake
Explorer
Explorer
Stop along the way to see Mt. Rushmore, Hill City. and Deadwood. We went in late August/early September. No crowds and very interesting. Found many campgrounds along the way.
Diana
Northern Wisconsin

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
With a 24' trailer, you could stay at any of the campgrounds within the park and I would recommend that you do. The GNP website has a page on the status of the campgrounds and fill times. If you need hookups, then there are many RV parks outside the gate. Mountain Meadows and the KOA we've stayed at on the West Side and the KOA on the East side is good too. Visit all the sites within the park taking the time to stop at Lake McDonald and walk the shore to see the colorful pebbles at the shore. On the South side around the park on Hwy 2, stop at Goat Lick. The Goats travel there every day to lick the salt there. We've been there three times and still see something new.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Horn
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
The going to the sun road is beautiful. A lot times it does not open until the third week of June, due to snow. If you do get to drive it, plan on spending a full day at the top where the ranger station is. It will be worth your time waling on a glacier and you may see a long horn sheep (also called rams).