cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-10 Through Houston

jamjrks
Explorer
Explorer
Traveling in a couple weeks from east to west on I-10 through Texas. What's the best route through or around Houston? 610 north loop, 610 south loop, I-10 through the heart of Houston, or the Sam Houston Parkway/Tollway? Should be getting to Houston on a weekday around 9 A.M. Thanks.
2008 Silverado 3500HD Crewcab, Big Dooley, Duramax
2016 Montana High Country 370BR
20 REPLIES 20

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
padredw wrote:
Said in good humor:)

But based on my experience (limited) traffic in any other city would move smoothly compared to Austin! :B

You don't have to say it in good humor, the people in Austin Know it.:B
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Said in good humor:)

But based on my experience (limited) traffic in any other city would move smoothly compared to Austin! :B

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
From living in Austin, I'm actually surprised of how well San Antonio traffic moves, barring a wreck. Even at rush hour, 410, 1604, and other roads are still moving at 40-50 mph.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
No body asked about San Antonio. :B I could have told you San Antonio was a pain. Go around the North 410 loop. Stop for a break before you get into town.;)
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

KO
Explorer
Explorer
I alerts planned a 0400 drive thru Houston because that also set me up before the lunch crowd in San Antonio - which is just as bad!

jamjrks
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the feedback. Anyway, we changed our travel schedule and drove I-10 through Houston on a Sunday morning around 9:30. No issues, light traffic, and no lane closures. As someone pointed out, getting across San Antonio was more stressful. Appreciate the feedback.
2008 Silverado 3500HD Crewcab, Big Dooley, Duramax
2016 Montana High Country 370BR

handsome51
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Baytown and I go west more than any other direction. Sunday morning is the best time to go on I10 straight thru Houston. If I don't leave on sunday I use the Sam Houston toll road. Then before it gets to I10 I take the West Park toll road to Highway 99. I make a right on HWY99 and come out on I10 by the Katy Mills Mall. This way I miss any traffic jam that might be on I10 between the Sam Houston toll road and the Katy Mills Mall.I have always been able to get on the toll road and punch cruise at 65mph and just sit back and go. I timed it one time . On a sunday morning with no traffic on I10 going the speed limit I went from Baytown to the Katy Mills Mall. Then I went on the toll road. It is 15 minutes longer by the toll road. But that is on a sunday with no traffic on I10. So if you add in the traffic on I10 any other time. The toll road is either the same time or faster.

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I drove through last November at around 7:00 in the morning on a weekday. Traffic was light and very uneventful. El Paso was much worse.

But I would also X2 or X3 what some have posted above about the traffic. Sometimes it's easier to drive through town when there is traffic and everyone is moving at 10-20 MPH. Everything happens slower and you can take your time deciding lanes without causing any issues.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

GailS
Explorer
Explorer
In April we took I 10 from FL to CA. Fortunately, we hit Houston on a Sunday morning and it was not as bad as I was expecting. Still hectic and stressful but so was El Paso and Tucson on the same trip.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, I live about 1000 yards South of I-10 and about 2 miles from I-10 and I-610 (west intersection). See I-10 every day and travel some portion of it most days.

- If you are wanting to get through Houston (Beaumont to San Antonio, for example), as much of a PITA as it is, I-10 is the only way to go. Nothing really to be gained by either 610 or Sam Houston Tollway
- Strongly recommend that you pass through sometime between 0500 - 0700 on either a Saturday or Sunday;
- Failing that, would recommend between 0500 - 0700 on any given day
- Not sure about your rig, but on the odd chance that an accident would exacerbate already slow traffic, don't enter the Houston part of I-10 with much less than 1/2 tank or so.....
- As you cross either the east side intersection of 610 and I-10 or the west side, be aware of your lanes and alert for changing lanes as soon as possible. When I towed through Houston (either a 20' TT, a 32' TT or the last RV, a 39' 5th wheel), changing lanes at any time other than the early weekend hours was a major PITA, particularly on those two intersections.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've driven straight through many times (MH with toad). It's not bad (for me).
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

bogeygolfer
Explorer
Explorer
Just go straight through town at that time. The freeway is fine, especially on the west side of downtown. Even better if you can hit Houston around 10:00. From east to west, neither Loop 610 or Sam Houston Tollway (takes you WAY out of your way) will help you.
2002 KZ Sportsman 2405
2005 Duramax
1996 Foretravel U295

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
Avoid that area. That route was awful!!
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

parkmanaa
Explorer
Explorer
Advice given to go straight on thru on I-10 at mid-morning or mid-afternoon is best.
Traffic will be heavy, but it is also heavy on all the loops, but going thru on I-10 is the shortest way.