cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oregon/California coast--best time of year?

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
A few years back we were dreaming about taking a trip down the Oregon/California coast. I remember reading that the best views would be to travel south. There were also mentions of the best time of year. I think the early spring but now I can't remember for sure.

Now that we have retired and have more time we are thinking about making this trip in 2017.

Can someone suggest the best time of year for this trip?

Thanks!
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
17 REPLIES 17

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Just about any time, but summer is crowded and winter is cold. If I had to pick, I would think September, October and April and May.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just about any time of year, September and early October, we have spent the last three week between Christmas and New Years at South Beach SP and have had decent weather. You would want to avoid Seaside on Friday and Saturday August 26 & 27 as that would s Hood to Coast weekend.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Great responses! Thanks, everyone. Looks like we will plan a trip for next September!
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've been in spring, summer and fall and all were great. We've volunteered giving lighthouse tours and even seeing a storm move in or on a foggy day is awesome!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
We leave in a week for two months along the Oregon and Wash Coast. Wish we had left two weeks ago as it has been up to 107 several days and over 100 other days
in a row
samsontdog:o:W

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
We prefer traveling northbound - for some reason, it appears that there is a lot less traffic going in that direction. :B And we enjoy mid-September best.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
North to South provides a better view and waiting until Sept when it's still dry and the kids are heading back to school allows you to travel without reservations. Been their done that.
Kevin

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
We leave in a week for two months along the Oregon and Wash Coast. Wish we had left two weeks ago as it has been up to 107 several days and over 100 other days
in a row
samsontdog:o:W

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the above is very true, I don't mind a little rain but we left Cape Disappointment two weeks ago because the rains were torrential, went to Winchester Bay RV Resort and loved the Late morning and afternoon rain and drizzle with clear mid day.

April May and Sept thru Oct. for us.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Marine_By_Choic
Explorer
Explorer
ANY TIME is the best time! Face it - yiu are retired, have nothing but time to meander leisurely, do not need to be in a hurry and have an RV to hide out in in the event of lousy weather.

Heading north gives the driver better views of the ocean, but crossing the southbound traffic lane for turnouts can be slow & frustrating at times.

Heading south gives the passenger/photographer better views of the ocean. It also makes utilizing the turnouts/parking areas easier for those things you want to stop to investigate.

As others have stated there IS fog, wind, rain and poor visibility at various times of the year. IT IS THE OCEAN!!!

Take plenty if time to see this great part of the Pacific Northwest. Safe travels!

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
Spring and Fall.

Winter is stormy and cold. Summer has fog.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

elwood58
Explorer
Explorer
Although we are in Astoria now, and heading across the bridge to Long Beach WA tomorrow, August and September are pretty hard to beat. Traveling south gives you the best views and turn outs. We came north through Nevada, Utah and Idaho, but will head south along the coast.
2016 Fleetwood Bounder 33C

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
In Astoria: Maritime Museum (all ages), waterfront trolly, Ft Stevens, Lewis & Clark fort, the Column and not to mention you are at the mouth of the Columbia River which is perhaps the most dangerous river entry in the world with about 300 large ship wrecks!

Want a clue about the river? The cannon found at Cannon Beach sank at Astoria before being found at Cannon Beach years later.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
We are leaving in about a week for our 5th trip to the OR Coast - we love it there. Have been to the whole Coast and also CA Coast. Our favorite area - which we are doing again - is Cannon Beach down to Bandon.

Travel south.

Do not go before mid July unless you like rain! 🙂 We go Aug to mid Sept.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times