cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

San Diego to Las Vegas-Stay on 15 or use 215 to skirt LA?

Ezlife55
Explorer
Explorer
We're driving SD to LV mid pm on a Tues. I see 215 thru Riverside as an alternate to staying on 15 just east of LA. Distance looks about the same. Which is the best route re time and traffic. thx
14 REPLIES 14

3LittleDucks
Explorer
Explorer
Great info, might be part of our big trip next year. ๐Ÿ™‚
2008 Nissan Armada TV
2007 Trail Cruiser 21RBH HTT

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
I'd also stick to the 15...the portion that is the alternate to 215 flows through some less densely populated areas. I like to go that route mid late morning to early afternoon on weekday. As posted, the 215 has stinkier transitions and some construction.

Check out sigalert.com (traffic map) on other mid week days to see how the route flows.

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a born and raised native Southern Californian that I am, I too would highly recommend continuing to commute the northbound I-15 route over the I-215 from the San Diego area as the majority have posted...

The worst of the I-215 route that I can confirm is thru Riverside, which has mainly been a snarled mess along the I-215 CA 60 CA 91 interchange, the second worse portion is next going thru the heart of San Bernardino with the potential of dealing with more heavy traffic (but not always), minus one lane that I remembered in my heydays there when that route was known as the temporary I-15e.

In February 1998 upon visiting while in Palm Springs, it was moderate to light heavy traffic on the I-215 in San Bernardino between the I-10 and Devore while driving to Las Vegas on a Friday night, I couldn't believe it.

In it's usual state, when the I-215 meets with the CA 60, it becomes a junction route for about 5 miles or so between Riverside and Sunnymead (which they call Moreno Valley now) in which traffic flow thru this stretch could be ok, slow, or pure gridlock at any given moment.

Commuting on the northbound I-215 route is still doable, however there is a much greater chance a commuter will be tied up in traffic versus the northbound I-15 if the location option element is there.

April 2009 - westbound CA 60 and I-215 with light moderate traffic approaching Riverside :

This picture I taken is a rare sight at the westbound CA 60 I-215 and CA 91 interchange without the usual 100 to 250 vehicles fighting for position that I endured in the past during daytime commutes in my heyday :

I cannot speak for the I-15 corridor of what it is like now between Corona and Escondido as I have not commuted thru there since 1978, however during my one day Anaheim visit in 2009 I drove to Las Vegas the following day which was during rush hour on a Friday morning...

Reached the eastbound CA 91 at I-15 interchange at Corona - 700am :

Smooth light traffic on the northbound I-15 at CA 60 interchange crossing here 8 minutes later :

Smooth light traffic on the northbound I-15 at I-10 interchange crossing here 5 minutes after :

Overlooking in south direction at the north ending of I-215 where it meets with I-15 in Devore at 723am :

Unless some sig alert has been issued, it's pretty hard to beat reaching Devore in less than 30 minutes from Corona that's virtually a hassle free route in Southern California while avoiding both Riverside and San Bernardino going in the same northbound direction before heading on to Cajon Pass.

Happy travels.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
It is best to check Google Maps the day you plan on leaving. The distance is about equal, but there are three lanes on I15, only 2 lanes on most of I215. At the 215/60 interchange, it can have REALLY bad traffic from 6 am to 10 am, and most afternoons and Sunday afternoons.

You can also check google maps, change the time to "Tuesday" and it will give you an average traffic report for that day of the week, based on the time you also can select. The green lines are more than 45 MPH, yellow below 45, red below 25 and black dash red is 0-15 mph on the freeways.

Good luck,

Fred.

PS: I would take I 15 from SD to Victorville.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
TUE.pm......stay on I-15

RFCN2
Explorer
Explorer
15 - forget 215, much funkier road. I taken both, but 15 much better.
RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

WayneLee
Explorer
Explorer
I've driven that route many times and I prefer to stay on the 15.

First of all, you will not have to slow down and dodge traffic as you exit the highway. Yes, there can be a little more traffic on the 15, especially when you get around the 10, but not enough to worry about.

To stay on the 215, you literally have to exit the highway and join the 91 highway, and that intersection can be a bear. Then you fight the traffic at the 215/10 intersection. Plus, after the intersection, the 215 goes through San Bernardino with only 2 to 3 lanes in each direction and it's always crowded and in need of repairs.

Wayne Lee
Out West Somewhere

2016 Forest River Sunseeker 3050DS Class C | Hummer H3 dinghy

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Living in San Diego, and off-roading in the high desert, we ALWAYS use the 15. It's a lot better road (is the 215/91/60 interchange EVER going to be finished?), and usually faster. If you're not towing, just stay in the left lane and you don't have to bother with the interchanges at 91, 60, and 10.
Be sure and check the wind conditions thru Rancho Cucamonga, and Devore. Travelling on a Tuesday, you shouldn't have any problems.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

tres_vagabonds
Explorer
Explorer
2 major interchanges are 91-60 and 215 that's 1 interchange then you have the 10 and the 215 in San Bernardino.
The 215 is a little closer but when it ties in with the 60 and until you get to the 91 it is almost always very busy, and the 215 between Riverside and San Bernardino is usually busy
Also when the 215 and 15 merge if your in an RV and on the 215 you have to merge over to the slower lanes on the 15.
I live in Lake Elsinore and drive that route once or twice a month,
but not in my motorhome

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would take the I-15

Although the I-215 splits off the I-15 just north of Temecula it goes thru two major interchanges were it merges with the 60 and then again were it merges with the 91 and then connects back up with the I-15 at Devore.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I would take I-15. You are far enough away from LA that you won't be over whelmed with tfc. Travel in off hours.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would just stay on the 15. To get to the 215 from the 15, you would have to take the 91 and that route goes right thru Riverside and San Bernardino.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
We use 215 when in that area.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would take the entire 215 end to end rather than take 15. You are right that it's about the same but there is usually much less traffic on 215 most any time of day. It's also a couple of miles shorter.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?