cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

US 20 in Oregon

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone travelled US 20 from Bend Or to Newport OR? Any problems with this route I should be aware of in a 40' Diesel pusher pulling a Toad?
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am
12 REPLIES 12

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sillybugs2 wrote:
Just don't do Alsea hwy I think or34. Scared me yet dh did fne towing our tt though narrow roads, tight turns with no shoulder and a drop off. No guard rails either. I white knuckled it. I cursrd he did not take 20.

Thanks for the tip on Hwy 34, I was thinking of taking that out of Waldport.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Sillybugs2
Explorer
Explorer
Just don't do Alsea hwy I think or34. Scared me yet dh did fne towing our tt though narrow roads, tight turns with no shoulder and a drop off. No guard rails either. I white knuckled it. I cursrd he did not take 20.
2016 Hideout 28BHSWE
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT 6.7L diesel 6 speed auto SRW longbed

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Also east of Sweet Home about 20 miles a bridge is being redone in near future and road will be closed. Don't remember if there was a detour but if there is it likely will be a logging road.

Sillybugs2
Explorer
Explorer
Not OP but so glad I saw this. We are headed to Bend next week then over to Newport from there so this is perfect information to have.
2016 Hideout 28BHSWE
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT 6.7L diesel 6 speed auto SRW longbed

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the info, I'll take 22.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

BendOrLarry
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Take 22 from nesr the summit toward Salem and enjoy 101 from Lincoln City south. Better drive IMHO.

Agree. Bend to Salem to Lincoln City - Newport is the way I would go.

Yup X2

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Take 22 from nesr the summit toward Salem and enjoy 101 from Lincoln City south. Better drive IMHO.

Agree. Bend to Salem to Lincoln City - Newport is the way I would go.
Kevin

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
Janss wrote:
Be aware that there is a new section of roadway being constructed around Eddyville.
See here:
Road construction on Hwy 20

Sounds like it is still drivable, just with possible delays.

I would like to know from anyone who knows...is the new section of road open while still being constructed, or do we still have to drive the old section?

The Eddyville section is still the old route. A short section is one lane for a couple miles.

All of 20 in Oregon is no problem with an rig. Just take it a little slower in the narrow curvy sections. Traveling in the mid week is easier, but pull over to let the traffic by when possible.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
126 through Eugene and to the coast is a good drive. Try to plan during the week. All the beach highways are packed on the weekend.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware that there is a new section of roadway being constructed around Eddyville.
See here:
Road construction on Hwy 20

Sounds like it is still drivable, just with possible delays.

I would like to know from anyone who knows...is the new section of road open while still being constructed, or do we still have to drive the old section?
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

sealevel_ram
Explorer
Explorer
We did it in our 40 footer and tow a couple of years ago.
The western end is slow going at times but doable. Certainly the shortest way if you are going directly to Newport.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green