cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3 week trip - Colorado, Utah, Arizona

mister_d
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm at the very beginning of planning a 2016 trip. I think we are aiming for Colorado, Utah, and Arizona. We enjoy national parks, the sights, and hiking. We did a similar length trip to GTNP, Yellowstone, and the badlands.

Is this enough time, too much, not enough to dive into the area?

What main points of interest would you hit in these 3 states?

Anyone have a trip report or blog of a similar trip?

We haven't set a date yet... sometime June-Aug
Our Adventures
Me '77 DW '78
DD '04 DS '07
Yellowstone + more Trip Report
2011 F150 4x4 Ecoboost 6.5 SCREW 3.73 Max Tow
2011 Lacrosse 296BHS video tour
Hensley Arrow
13 REPLIES 13

mister_d
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all! This was just to get some starter ideas.

michigansandzilla wrote:
Here's a trip report
I've been reading through that today(:
Our Adventures
Me '77 DW '78
DD '04 DS '07
Yellowstone + more Trip Report
2011 F150 4x4 Ecoboost 6.5 SCREW 3.73 Max Tow
2011 Lacrosse 296BHS video tour
Hensley Arrow

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
3 weeks is really too short to do 3 states. The worse thing you can do is try to jam too many places into a trip. You just end up driving around and don't get to ENJOY Anything. Stop somewhere and RELAX for a week. I wouldn't do Utah or Aridzona until at least well into Sept. From Michigan it'll take at least 4 days to go out and 5 to get back. You'll be tired and drive slower. If a summer trip, I'd plan for Colorado only. Make a fast 'BeeLine' for Black Canyon Of Gunnison near Montrose, Co. Don't stop for anything between Mi. & Colorado. Maybe even drive out at night when its cooler. Nothin to see between em anyways. Spend u'r vacation between Black Canyon of Gunnison, Ouray & Silverton along Rt.550, the Million Dollar HyWay. Rent a Jeep for a week and do the Jeep/4x4/Gold mine/Ghost Town trails. Just one Trail note: Stay OFF the Black Bear 4x4 trail! Even experienced Jeepers have died on it.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a trip report that I think is similar to what you're looking for. It wasn't too hot for them and they didn't need 6 months to explore the area. ๐Ÿ˜‰
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27951371.cfm

Happy planning!
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Also in the area is beautiful Antelope Slot Canyon in Page, AZ and Monument Valley.

But I agree with the others, you might want to stay in the higher elevations to avoid heat.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
From MI, three weeks is far too short. IMHO. There is so much to see - which is why we moved here. June - Aug will be very hot in most of AZ and UT. Yes, you can go to higher places like Bryce and Flagstaff but what are you going to do the rest of the time?

I would concentrate on CO - the southwest. And, yes, we did live in Estes Park for 8 years and love Rocky - but the park has been hit by pine beetle, the town is having it's problems and rv parks in Estes are very expensive and have really gone downhill. Maybe swing over to Moab.

We are going back to southwest CO for the fall colors but also going over to Moab, Torrey and Bryce and down to Grand Canyon - but it will be Sept into Oct.

Know all the area pretty well so feel free to PM or email me if you would like.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Two ideas: first do a Google search for `_______ tourism' and put the state, city, area or other in the blank.
Second look at Adventure Caravans Grand tour of the Western Parks for where they go for the entire month of September.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

happynow
Explorer
Explorer
There is much to see and do in each of these 3 states,especially given your interests. Three weeks + could be spent in one region IMO.

Focus on one or two region(s) you want to see, look at the route. 2 or 3 day stops in National Parks only, your trip will be more than full.
happynow

Steve and Carol

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
mister_d wrote:

Anyone have a trip report or blog of a similar trip?

Mpond this trip is similar to what I might suggest - One state - Colorado and if it's raining for a day or two run over to Utah.

This is just a touch of Colorado - do this and my bet is you'll come back.

Utah and Arizona are just too HOT. JMHO

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of Utah will be hot that time of year. Higher altitude places like Bryce will be more comfortable than Zion.

Utah has so many geologic wonders that 5 National Parks is not enough to capture all of them. So if you spend time here, be sure to consider some of our state parks too (e.g. Dead Horse SP is between Arches and Canyonlands and is worth the side trip).
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Add a visit to Rocky Mountain National Park while you are in Colorado.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
For three weeks, I would probably pick only one state. Colorado would probably be the coolest, or southern Utah (the north rim of the Grand Canyon is higher, cooler, and less crowded, and is close to Zion and Bryce).
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Only you know your traveling habits but if you did a similar trip to Yellowstone in that timeframe then, yes, you can do it.

Keep in mind though that Utah and Arizona will be very HOT in the summer and some of Colorado can be, also.

I'd head to Arizona at the beginning of summer. There are some nice Indian ruins around Flagstaff (and you'll have very cool temps there), do a day trip to Sedona (too hot to stay there) and there are more ruins in that area around Cottonwood. Then do the Grand Canyon and stay IN the park for the best experience. Trailer Village is the place for full hookups. Mather or Desert View have no have hookups.

Then head for the Utah national parks - Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Arches. For Arches reserve a spot ahead for the Fiery Furnace ranger-led hike. The kids - and you - will love it. You'll be in a shaded canyon with fun walking. All hikes should be done early morning because of the heat. Take lots of water...get a waistpack for everyone to carry extra.

In Bryce do the Wall Street hike. It's amazing! Drive Hwy 12 to get to Capitol Reef - gorgeous.

Don't try to do these parks from one or two base camps. That just involves a lot of unnecessary driving and time. Stay IN the parks.

For Colorado, I'd concentrate on the SW corner - Pagosa Springs (nice soaks and a huge pool of hot spring water), Durango (instead of the costly train ride to Silverton - just stay in Silverton, (the best scenery you'll see on the whole trip) Montrose (Black Canyon Nat'l Park), Cortez for Mesa Verde National Park - take the ranger-led hike to the ruins - involves ladders and crawling through a tunnel - fun.

You'll all be tired after this vacation!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
We just got home from a two month trip to the same states. One gem we found was Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve. Recommend you stay at the Alamosa Colorado KOA. It's a really nice RV park.

When you visit the dunes, rent a sand board and ride down some of the dunes. It's very safe, and loads of fun. You can also take your doggies onto the dunes as long as they are on a leash and you clean up after them.

While in Alamosa, visit the Colorado Gators reptile park. You can get discounted tickets at the KOA.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)