cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Beach front vacation ideas

Headed_West
Explorer
Explorer
The DW and I are trying to plan our fall vacation. We are wanting a beach vacation by the ocean within 2 days drive from Indianapolis. We are considering Hilton Head but the reviews about the island and big trucks ive read do not sound good. Does anyone have other places or spots next to the ocean they can recommend? We are trying to avoid driving all the way to Florida. Mobile Alabama is also up for consideration.
2016 F-250 Crewcab 6.2L 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 30RLI
32 REPLIES 32

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Don't bother with Hilton Head. I was over there years ago and aside from a small public beach, the rest of the island was controlled by private, restricted developments. I was over there last year for an afternoon to pick up a Leer topper that a guy was selling and its worse now that it was. Its not the kind of place I would want to vacation or live.

Much of the Florida Panhandle is still in good shape, Hurricane Michael got everything from Tyndall AFB at Panama City, over to Port St Joe, but the rest of it was either not affected or has already recovered.

Oddly everything is the same distance, Dauphin Island, Ft Pickens, and Hilton Head (via I-40 over the Smokies) is 765 miles from the point on the south side of Indy I picked. Hilton Head is 810 miles if you go thru Atlanta to avoid the smokies.

I was at Dauphin Island Alabama, at the mouth of Mobile Bay, last fall, and was quite happy with the visit. (765 mi from the south side of Indy) Depends on what you like to do, but the city owned campground is nice (but could stand some minor things like getting rid of a couple of derelict city trucks that hadn't moved in years, and fixing a couple of issues with their very nice brand new restrooms and showers (water runs out of the shower into the dressing area of the stall). Across the street is the ferry terminal. For $5 you can (on foot or bicycle) ride across Mobile bay and back, and while on the other side, visit Ft Morgan. Just past the campground is Ft Gaines, which is also a nice visit, and also across from the campground is the Estuarium, a very nice aquarium focused on the bay and marine estuary environment of the bay. Adjacent to the campground is a 100 acre Audubon Wildlife and Bird Sanctuary with lots of walking trails and signage. Plus there is a nice beach and pier for fishing.

There is also some good seafood eating on the island.

You also have the Battleship Alabama and associated aircraft and ship displays you can visit on the way down, plus other historical venues such as Bellingrath Gardens.

https://bellingrath.org/

https://www.ussalabama.com/

http://www.gulfquest.org/

http://colonialmobile.com/

https://dauphinisland.org/

http://estuarium.disl.org/

http://mobilebayferry.com/schedule/

http://fort-morgan.org/

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Deleware Seashore State Park is right by the ocean, and right on the Indian River Inlet. The park itself isn't much, but the location is great. No trees, you are out in the sun. Easy access to ocean, river and nearby beach towns.

Cape Henlopen State Park is a little further north on the Atlantic Ocean by the Deleware Bay. Nicer park like setting nestled in pine trees. A little longer walk (couple minutes) to the water, but easy access.

Camp Hatteras in NC is pretty nice. We are going there next year, but a camping friend was there last year. The ocean is literally on the other side of the dune from the campground. Again... no trees in the summer.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
all campgrounds are becoming hard to get into unless you book a year out or if it is a not so desirable place.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

Headed_West
Explorer
Explorer
TheLuvShack wrote:
Panhandle is 800 miles from Indy. Easy two day drive. Checkout Camping on the Gulf Destin. Right on beach. Sites are small. Try Top Sail Hill Santa Rosa Beach about 10 miles east of Destin. Sites are spacious. Beach is about 1/4 mile away. Bike or ride shuttle to beach. Get your reservations now! Best of luck.

WOW Gulf Destin only shows 2 sites available for our dates in October.Must be a popular camp ground. It looks beautiful.

Headed_West
Explorer
Explorer
By the looks of it I need to start looking at the Outer Banks. Cape Hatteras looks really nice.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always get a kick when y'all are comparing beaches. We have been to Myrtle, OBX & Assateague National Seashore. They all help me appreciate how good I have it right at home.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Can't get here in the RV but can in our little boat in the background
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some of our favorites.Assateague National Park. One state park campground with one loop of electric. National park has several loops. No hookups but they allow some generator use in certain loops. Cape Hatteras national Park has 4 campgrounds. The one at Oregon Inlet has some water and electric sites. We liked their Frisco Campground. No hookups but generator use is allowed. Hungtington Beach State Park in South Carolina.Most sites are water and electric but they do have some FHU too. They have a very good nature program with walks on the beach or programs in the lodge. You can also visit Atalaya,home of the former owners. They have a nice campstore and short walk to the beach. You are right down the road from Murrel's Inlet. They have some nice restaurants like Drunken Jacks.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I like either the Outer Banks or the Gulf Coast. Both offer a good beach experience. The other factors like what are your interests and how much civilization do you want to be in/near. Plenty of campground choices either place you go.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
huachuca wrote:
I'm from NC so a bit prejudiced but would also suggest our Outer Banks. Lots of options for both private and public campgrounds between Nags Head and Ocracoke.

If you want a truly unique experience, consider spending a couple of nights at the end of your visit in one of the Park Service cabins on Portsmouth Island (Cape Lookout National Seashore). You can take your F250 over on a private ferry and have twenty miles of uninhabited beach to share with just a few other folks. Be glad to answer any questions if you're interested.

Park Service Cabins

I've stayed in those cabins. Very rustic. Don't look for luxury in those cabins. It was a fantastic fishing trip though and I did enjoy myself there. Great place.

Ocean view from cabin deck (island is maybe 1/4 mile wide here)

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Love OBX but love Myrtle Beach more. Nicer beach, lots of other things to do in the area.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
Maryland/Delaware shore rarely gets mentioned but is closer than the OBX and just as nice. Delaware Shores SP in Bethany Beach, Castaways in Ocean City and Assategue SP or NP are all very nice ocean front places. We did the Chesapeake Bay side for a week at Roaring Point in Nanticoke and it was very relaxing. Water view from all sites.

HHI is nice but you have to bike/drive to the best beaches. Also, they have some strange sign ordinance that doesn't allow you to see where the stores are from the street. We did a lot of u-turning there.

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
I'm from NC so a bit prejudiced but would also suggest our Outer Banks. Lots of options for both private and public campgrounds between Nags Head and Ocracoke.

If you want a truly unique experience, consider spending a couple of nights at the end of your visit in one of the Park Service cabins on Portsmouth Island (Cape Lookout National Seashore). You can take your F250 over on a private ferry and have twenty miles of uninhabited beach to share with just a few other folks. Be glad to answer any questions if you're interested.

Park Service Cabins

Ocean view from cabin deck (island is maybe 1/4 mile wide here)

TheLuvShack
Explorer
Explorer
Panhandle is 800 miles from Indy. Easy two day drive. Checkout Camping on the Gulf Destin. Right on beach. Sites are small. Try Top Sail Hill Santa Rosa Beach about 10 miles east of Destin. Sites are spacious. Beach is about 1/4 mile away. Bike or ride shuttle to beach. Get your reservations now! Best of luck.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they better find you handy". Red Green

Daryl

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
LOVE the outerbanks! we stayed at the KOA over there a few years ago, planning to go back sometime. June we are doing Hilton head, but are planning some day trips on the motorcycle, will avoid driving the truck in towns such as Savanah GA.
Another place we have been is Ocean City MD, big beach tourist area, no problems with trucks. The only issue we have seen with Myrtle beach is many campgrounds dont allow motorcycles,
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

Whammon1
Explorer
Explorer
I second the Outer Banks of NC. Fall is a great time of year to visit. Always plenty to do and see. Great places to eat.