cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black Hills off the beaten path

Cup_fan
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to the Black Hills this summer and will be there for 6 days. We will spend the first 3 or 4 days doing the usual "tourist" places, but what we are really looking for is the "off the beaten path" areas. We love to hike, so we are looking for ghost towns and camps, waterfalls, creeks where one can do a little panning and rock hunting and things of that nature. We are in our 50's so it can't be too awful strenuous, but we would really like to spend some time away from the crowded areas. I would love to hear from some folks who have been there or who live in the area and know where some of these "hidden gems" are.
2015 Silverado 2500HD
2015 Rockwood 8315 BSS
Sammie and Ginger (our four legged kids)
Navy veteran
13 REPLIES 13

campindude
Explorer
Explorer
Been to the Black Hills 3 times... wife is from South Dakota ๐Ÿ™‚ It's a beautiful area with lots to do. Here are a few suggestions off the top of my head that haven't been made so far:

Devil's Tower in eastern Wyoming (about an hour drive from the hills) - Get off the interstate as soon as you enter Wyoming and take the back roads to the tower over through Hulett. Awesome scenery!

The geographical center of the US which is north of Belle Fourche, SD (there is a monument at the Belle Fourche Visitor's Center but you have to drive north of town to the actual center which sits in a field -ask for directions)

Also, just wanted to suggest that you go to Mt. Rushmore at night... the rangers put on a very nice presentation and, IMHO, it looks more majestic lit up at night.

If you are coming from the east through Nebraska, check out Ashfall Fossil Beds in Eastern Nebraska (near Norfolk). Great collection of dinosaur fossils that is still being excavated.
Greg C.
Southern Maryland
2002 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat 4X4/FX4 5.4L 4.10/Hypertech
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276SR - One of the last of these great RVs to ever be made ๐Ÿ˜ž
Reese HP Dual-Cam Sway / Prodigy

stetwood
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.mammothsite.com/ Near Hot Springs, SD

fredbon
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of info here:

Black Hills Nat'l Forest Information

Fred
Fred and Bonnie
Frankie & Scarlett, (The Cats)
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
2006 Saturn VUE

As I've Matured... I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
IIRC Deerfield Lake is out by itself west of Hill City. Very quiet place and i think it had some nice trails down to the lake. The area can be quiet if you know where to look!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

klm
Explorer
Explorer
We really enjoyed the candlelight ranger led tour at Wind Cave. You need a reservation for that. Missle tour is another interesting sidelight. Take your bikes and ride the Mickleson trail - small fee - hike up Harney's Peak. Consider camping in Custer State Park. We used Game Lodge - e only - but good bath house, laundry, and dump station. Have a great trip
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR

RamTX
Explorer
Explorer
Just outside Deadwood is Lead where the Homestake Gold Mine was located. They have a visitor center and a tour. This was the oldest, deepest and largest gold mine in the Western Hemisphere until it closed in 2002. It would probably be interesting to you if you are into gold mining, etc.
2005 Dodge 2500 CTD ShortBed Quad Cab
08 Jayco Eagle Superlite 31.5FBHS
Line X
Superglide Hitch
Prodigy Brake Controller

wanderingdawgs
Explorer
Explorer
We drove from Deadwood to Spearfish through the Spearfish Canyon a couple of years ago. The drive goes through spectacular jagged rock cliffs and a nice view of Bridal Veil Falls. We didn't go for a hike but there may some hiking trails along that route. There wasn't much traffic or very many people.
Beth and Henry
2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD/CC/DA
2006 Titanium 29E34TS
wanderingdawgs.com

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
The Badlands have many places to hike that do not get a lot of traffic but are very interesting and few people bother to hike around. Also the D-1 missile site near Wall is worth a visit, they only do a morning and afternoon tour and its limited space so need to majke a reservation.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
In the western hills there are huge tracts of fs land accessible by dirt road only. Also out near Deerfield Reservior there are some remote feel campgrounds Link

We found that pretty much anywhere beyond 1 mile from a paved road or trail could place you in complete isolation in the blackhills. Most have only a few days to visit so they stick to the easy to reach touristy stuff.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the way up we went thru Nebraska as you too can and stopped at Valentine Falls and you have a short hike back to the falls. I never believed Nebraska had a water fall (70') but, we enjoyed it and they have a primitive camoing area for rvs and tents. Then on farther we stopped at wounded knee (actual site) and the local native American historian young men were a wealth of knowledge on the attack. At the Black hills we stayed Custers Gultch and it was a great place with very friendly staff and super clean. Just call ahead for reservations as it is popular in the summer.

Cup_fan
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator, may I ask which campground that you own? We are still haven't decided where we are going to stay as we are waiting to see whether a couple of folks are going to commit to going with us or not. Feel free to PM me if you need to.
2015 Silverado 2500HD
2015 Rockwood 8315 BSS
Sammie and Ginger (our four legged kids)
Navy veteran

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Hike the Mickelson Trail around Mystic - Rochford. Go to Wades gold mill at hill city for info to find what interests you.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We took the Grayline bus tour of the Black Hills (there is also one for the Badlands) and it was very informative. The driver/guide might know of those hidden areas.
You could also do a Google search for `Black Hills hiking' and read on. Google has a much wider audience than this forum.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)