cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bourbon Trail vs Whiskey Trail

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Want to spend a week or so camping and checking out a "bourbon trail". Which would you recommend, Kentucky or Tennessee? We don't really know the difference between good vs bad bourbon/whiskey, but think the tour of the trail could be interesting.
Which state offers the better distilleries and the better campgrounds? Other sites and attractions are always welcome as are good eateries.
Looking to go in late April/early May. Our anniversary is May 1 and like to spent it on the road and possibly even at a distillery.

thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
11 REPLIES 11

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Been to both these last 2 winters. Bourbon has distinction as being at minimum 51% corn, at least aged 2 years in a new white oak barrel. Carst limestone filtered water is the lynchpin in distilling in both states.
Tennessee whiskeys largely meet that minimum, most exceed it, and could claim their whiskey as Bourbon, choose not to.
Tennesseee whiskey tends to use higher % of corn with less rye, wheat or barley. The added effect of ' lincoln county filtration ' through maple wood charcoal of the white dog gives tennessee whiskey its distinction. Enjoy

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Pappy Van Winkle...Kentucky
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago, we did the KY Trail from Louisville. It was really great--even though I don't drink bourbon! Learned a lot and enjoyed 3 or 4 distilleries along with other travelers.

RVman3252
Explorer
Explorer
dons2346 wrote:
Do the Kentucky trail. Best bourbon in the world. Once you hit a couple of distillers, you will find that there is a world of difference in the products. Some good, some bad and a few excellent ones.

I agree!
RVman3252
3252Px3 KZ Sportsmen Limited Triple Slide Fifth Wheel
Dodge Ram HD3500 CrewCab, Longbed 4x4 Cummins w/ PullRite Super 5th

Good Sam Life Member

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Do the Kentucky trail. Best bourbon in the world. Once you hit a couple of distillers, you will find that there is a world of difference in the products. Some good, some bad and a few excellent ones.

melandme
Explorer
Explorer
I am biased. I like good bourbon and live in Kentucky. Bourbon has gotten like wine with all the tastes and aromas. Try several, find one you like and try other brands from that distillery. Google Bourbon Tree and you will find what distillery makes what and how the brands relate. All of the KY stops are in the triangle between Bardstown, Lexington, and Louisville. Taylorsville Lake and My Old Kentucky State Parks have nice campgrounds. Taylorsville RV Park is campground that opened last year after being closed. I pass it about everyday and the people have done a lot of work on it. They had quiet a few campers this past summer. These would all would be about an hour or less to the distilleries. May 5 is the KY Derby and downtown Louisville will be busy with Derby festival events.

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The difference between good and bad is up to you. My son inlaw works for a company that does its own distilling. He has supplied me with a great number of good brands to try some very expensive. I still go back to a medium priced that I like the taste of, but I have determined that I really like rye. Your trip sounds like a great one and we are going to take one day soon.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
To be fair in any future reports, you need to take them both.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
All bourbon is whiskey but all whiskey is not bourbon.

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
Enough Kentucky bourbon and the campground you choose really doesn't matter. A little bit more and who cares about any other sites? I am a Kentucky Bourbon fan for sure.

Vw_triker
Explorer
Explorer
I think ky, but I worked for Jim beam for a short time.....