cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camping near Mammoth Cave KY

wvmtb
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to plan a vacation for this summer. Been kicking around the idea of going to Mammoth Cave but I’m not having much luck finding a campground that fits our needs.

We will be staying for about a week so full hookup (Elec, Water & Sewer) is a must. I’m sure there aren’t any campgrounds within the National Park that will have those hook-ups. So finding a place nearby that have that would be great! Nearby as in less than an hour from the park (cave entrance). Also would like to have a site on a river, stream or lake. Am I asking for to much?
The last couple years we’ve went to Pigeon Forge and loved it. Actually stayed in Townsend right on the edge of the Smokies. That is ideal and I would love to go back for the 3rd year but my better half want’s to try something different. Therefore I’m looking at Mammoth Cave.

Anyone have any opinions or suggestions?

I am open to anything within about 6-7hr drive from North Central West Virginia.
14 REPLIES 14

dennis1949
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed at Singing Hills campground several times No frills and full hookups. Would not hesitate to stay there again Close to Mammoth Cave
Dennis Carpenter
Decatur Alabama
2012 GMC 3/4 ton Z71 Diesel
2016 Forest River Blue Ridge. 3045 RL

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
wvmtb wrote:

I am open to suggestions. Anything that is similar to Townsend would be awesome! I keep thinking I want to go back to Townsend. But like my wife I want to something different. I have been searching around and Pisgah National Forest now. It's looking a little better as for the CG's that I'm interested in. Besides I can then ride by bicycle up Mt. Mitchhell which is on my bucket list. I've done Clingmans Dome twice now and need a new mountain conquer 😉

I could go to Townsend every year. Last September we stayed at Big Meadows and really liked it. Hiked about 64 miles. I'm curious what you choose as something similar to Townsend.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
I've been trying to recall the name of Singing Hills for over a year now. I didn't see it on RVParkReviews before we went up there this summer. We stayed there several years ago and yes it's basic but it does have FHU. The pond was a major hit with my son who was actually catching fish in it. He also caught a big snapping turtle which the owner removed.

We have over nighted there several times on our journey South. It is a basic c.g. but the pull thru sites are long and the owners very friendly and eager to help. We never use c.g. washrooms, but years ago I took a look and was not impressed. Maybe washrooms have been upgraded since then, I haven't been in them for about 5 years. If really modern washrooms are important to you, you might want to check this out. With full hookups, your own facilities would probably be used anyhow.

The park is only a few miles from Mammoth Caves. Between the interstate and Singing Hills, there are lots of tourist traps to take your money.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Diamond Caverns was decent. We stayed there 4-5 nights in 2014.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

wvmtb
Explorer
Explorer
6.7 tow rig wrote:
The KOA and Jellystone are both gross. The KOA might as well be in the median of the interstate.

We go to Townsend every year and its our favorite. I have alot of other suggestions if you want. We are from KY if you want more suggestions.

My rule of thumb is to stay away from any KOA or Jellystone. I don't think I've ever seen a KOA's that I like. The locations are almost never what I look for in a CG because they are almost always along interstates or busy highways. Jellystone's are a little better but are just too commercialized.

I am open to suggestions. Anything that is similar to Townsend would be awesome! I keep thinking I want to go back to Townsend. But like my wife I want to something different. I have been searching around and Pisgah National Forest now. It's looking a little better as for the CG's that I'm interested in. Besides I can then ride by bicycle up Mt. Mitchhell which is on my bucket list. I've done Clingmans Dome twice now and need a new mountain conquer 😉

Fleet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Another satisfied Singing Hills customer. It is very convenient to Mammoth Cave and Cave City.
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H
Toad, '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue OX, Aventa
US Gear UBS

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
The KOA and Jellystone are both gross. The KOA might as well be in the median of the interstate. We drove through last year when we stayed at Jellystone and marked it off the list for good. Jellystone is slightly better. Sites are super tight and not hardly a shade tree to be found. There is however alot of stuff for the kids to do including free putt putt, giant jumping pillow, pool, waterslide, and fishing pond. Mammoth Cave itself is neat but after one tour we were pretty much done. Diamond Caverns is a good tour if you are in the area as well.

Nolin Lake State Park is the nicest campground in the area in my opinion, pretty small but sites are waterside and huge. No full hookup though.

You could check out Natural Bridge State Park which is in the Red River Gorge area. Lots of hiking, and pretty scenery.

Breaks Interstate Park is beautiful, but not alot to do in the area. Its on the border of Virginia and KY.

We go to Townsend every year and its our favorite. I have alot of other suggestions if you want. We are from KY if you want more suggestions.
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've been trying to recall the name of Singing Hills for over a year now. I didn't see it on RVParkReviews before we went up there this summer. We stayed there several years ago and yes it's basic but it does have FHU. The pond was a major hit with my son who was actually catching fish in it. He also caught a big snapping turtle which the owner removed.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
wvmtb wrote:
Trying to plan a vacation for this summer. Been kicking around the idea of going to Mammoth Cave but I’m not having much luck finding a campground that fits our needs.

We will be staying for about a week so full hookup (Elec, Water & Sewer) is a must. I’m sure there aren’t any campgrounds within the National Park that will have those hook-ups. So finding a place nearby that have that would be great! Nearby as in less than an hour from the park (cave entrance). Also would like to have a site on a river, stream or lake. Am I asking for to much?
The last couple years we’ve went to Pigeon Forge and loved it. Actually stayed in Townsend right on the edge of the Smokies. That is ideal and I would love to go back for the 3rd year but my better half want’s to try something different. Therefore I’m looking at Mammoth Cave.

Anyone have any opinions or suggestions?

I am open to anything within about 6-7hr drive from North Central West Virginia.
I have overnighted at Singing Hillsbefore. It has full hookups and the sites are just so so. They do have a catch and release pond. Not a campground with lots of amenities but the owners are super nice. It is a Passport America park if that makes a difference. I believe Mammoth is relatively close. Call and talk to the owners about your needs.
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

Marine_By_Choic
Explorer
Explorer
The KOA at Horse Cave is nice. Really great employees that are so helpful with everything. We stayed there last May for 5 nights and loved it.

wvmtb
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not seeing any sewer hookup at the Cave Creek COE.

midnightsadie wrote:
look at cave lake state park.

Is that on Nolin Lake? If this is the park (http://parks.ky.gov/parks/recreationparks/nolin-lake/default.aspx) your talking about. I don't see any sewer there either.

Only thing I can find in the area with full hookup is Jellystone. I've been to one of their parks before and I wasn't impressed. IMO they are overpriced and that one doesn't look much different than any other.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check out Moutardier Recreation Area. This is another one that you need to use the free ferry to make the drive short into the park.

If you go, try to take a Lantern Tour. Definitely a different feel for the cave.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
look at cave lake state park.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cave Creek COE campground has FHU and is maybe 20-30 mins from the visitor center. The secret is using the free ferry that drops you within a mile or so of the visitors center.

ReserveAmerica

Ferry

Short Youtube video

Be aware that this CG is not near, so far as I know, any restaurants or shopping centers. Be sure to get detailed directions on finding the ferry from the CG hosts at the CG.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper