cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Car parked at home while gone

golfknut
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone found a need to add fuel stabilizer (ie. Sta-bil) to the fuel system of any vehicles left parked at home while gone three months over the winter?

I know fuels are better these days and was wondering if they are stable enough to not cause any issues if left as is for 3 months.
2018 Newmar Canyon Star 3513
56 REPLIES 56

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
It is funny, because it doesn't say that on my car.

I will edit my comment to specify mowers, generators, lawn tractors, chain saws, outboard motors, weed eaters, and other small engine manuals. Of course, they might not know what they are talking about.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
TomG2 wrote:
It is funny that every gasoline powered engine I have ever seen said something like, "Drain and refill with fresh fuel before operating" in the instructions.
It is funny, because it doesn't say that on my car.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
My gosh, this has turned into another "Which way to hang the toilet paper" argument with neither side making too many points, just stating opinions. As to the new vehicles on dealer lots, not many sit for six or eight months at a time. They are moved around, test drove, or started as a precaution against dead batteries. Besides, that dealer won't be around long if they move their inventory that slowly. It is funny that every gasoline powered engine I have ever seen said something like, "Drain and refill with fresh fuel before operating" in the instructions.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just don't leave a TomTom plugged in to your vehicle. Many models have a mystery person inside them and turn them on at odd times. Or they just miss their mother!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
thecampingman wrote:
Nothing is needed to store a car over the winter in a northern climate.
Maybe your post will be more convincing than mine.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

thecampingman
Explorer
Explorer
Modern fuel systems are sealed to prevent evaporation. Gas won't break down stored during a northern winter. The trickle of electric from the battery saves your settings on your radio, electric clock, auto door locking sequence etc. and won't run down the battery. (They'll all reset to default settings when you reconnect the battery).

Nothing is needed to store a car over the winter in a northern climate.
'03 GMC 4500 Topkick with Duramax/Allison
'04 36' McKenzie Medallion triple slide
Cabover kayak racks w/18' touring kayaks.
Bicycle carrier on the front with a street bike & a mountain bike
Snowbird W/Ohio camper dock

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
I fill the tank, add StaBil and put on a battery tender for 4 months.

Same here but we are gone 6 months.
pawatt

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:

I would highly suggest Seafoam instead of Stabil.

Info here-
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1646345

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
I am still wayne_tw wrote:
Think about this: Many of the automobiles everyone has gone to great processes to park for about 3 months have, when they were new, sat on a dealers lot for that same period of time without any preparation whatsoever. Those same vehicles seem to have survived quite well.

FWIW:

"The longer a new car sits on a lot, the more motivated the dealer will be to sell it quickly. Most dealers take out loans in order to buy their inventory and they pay off a portion of the loans each time they sell a vehicle.

For each day that vehicle doesn't sell, the dealer keeps paying interest on that loan. The longer a car sits, the larger the interest cost grows.

Dealers typically don't mind paying interest for 30 or even 60 days, but when the car has been sitting on the lot for 3 months, that's when they really start getting nervous. They start worrying about losing money on the car if they don't sell it soon"

In addition a new car never "just sits" and it's a "new" car it better start. Again a can of SeaFoam is $6.50 and takes 10 seconds of your time. Disconnecting the battery 1-2 minutes.

YMMV

+ 1-If one takes the time to search this topic on the Internet as I did, you will find Seafoam is highly recommended for the gas tank for a storage situation.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Think about this: Many of the automobiles everyone has gone to great processes to park for about 3 months have, when they were new, sat on a dealers lot for that same period of time without any preparation whatsoever. Those same vehicles seem to have survived quite well.

FWIW:

"The longer a new car sits on a lot, the more motivated the dealer will be to sell it quickly. Most dealers take out loans in order to buy their inventory and they pay off a portion of the loans each time they sell a vehicle.

For each day that vehicle doesn't sell, the dealer keeps paying interest on that loan. The longer a car sits, the larger the interest cost grows.

Dealers typically don't mind paying interest for 30 or even 60 days, but when the car has been sitting on the lot for 3 months, that's when they really start getting nervous. They start worrying about losing money on the car if they don't sell it soon"

In addition a new car never "just sits" and it's a "new" car it better start. Again a can of SeaFoam is $6.50 and takes 10 seconds of your time. Disconnecting the battery 1-2 minutes.

YMMV
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer

With that in mind, I have stored my Toyota Corolla for 4 months at a time with no preparation and it started up and ran just like it had been driven an hour before.

Personally, I wouldn't prep mine for sitting three months. However, I had to prep mine for storage since the total time it would be sitting was 8 months.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer

With that in mind, I have stored my Toyota Corolla for 4 months at a time with no preparation and it started up and ran just like it had been driven an hour before.

CardinalRule
Explorer
Explorer
We leave for 5 months plus. I just fill the wife's car up with fuel then disconnect the battery. connect the battery in the spring and turn the key. Have never had any problem. The car sits in temps as low as -30 plus. If it was carberated it would be different but with fuel injection it's just not a problem.
Dave

I RV, I Golf - Therefore I Am.

2016 Acura MDX (No More Truck ๐Ÿ˜ž )
Perminent on site 05 Cardinal 36TS

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
MY personal opinion.......

3 months is not an issue and no additives are needed for the fuel.
I would consider a battery tender to keep it fully charged.

Beyond 3 months, I would definitely add fuel stabilizer, but the stuff is cheap, so whatever makes you comfortable!!!
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King