cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Colorado Rockies

scot-to-rv
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a visit to the Colorado Rockies and would like to know the best places to see and to stay with a big rig.
26 REPLIES 26

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
You can only leave Salida, you can never go there.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
scot-to-rv wrote:
We are planning a visit to the Colorado Rockies and would like to know the best places to see and to stay with a big rig.

Look over these threads for info;

MPond Colorado Trip

Bussikipper Colorado loop

Stan's Photos of Colorado

In the first post you get a Detailed account of Matt and family's travel thru Colorado -- this is a Power trip and may be a little to fast for many but it cover much of what you might want to see and has many pictures.

This is a much used post of mine that keeps you in the Southwest area, I do this almost every time we return to Colorado, never see too much of this area.

The third post is a web album of Stan's that will give you a photo guide of some of the Best Colorado has to Offer -- I will look through this site often just to remember places I need to see again.

If you look through these threads and follow much of the advice given you will have a great trip.

Added note - after the storm Estes is hard to get to from the east but is still accessible from the West and Trail Ridge, we are different than most and actually prefer coming into Estes from the West, it just feels more like what we enjoy on the Western side. RMNP is an area that should not be missed if possible but understand it was a Biblical Flood and will take a good while to recover from so be sure to understand the limits on the roads 34 and 36 especially as they are not what the used to be.

Enjoy Colorado, we have never traveled down a road we did not enjoy.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Check Highway 34 under Roads & Routes for info on that. The road is open but locals we know from living there are saying not good for RV's. And 34 from the west I would not recommend. Hwy 36 and Hwy 7 - the other routes into Estes also under major rebuilding.

I would hang SW CO which we have really grown to love and got back to.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
You better check the roads. Hiway 34 was wiped out in the floods. That is the main road to Estes Park and RMNP. I stayed in Loveland last August, about 25 miles from the park. That whole area was flooded too. There are steep climbs coming from the West especially. The RMNP campgrounds are convenient but you have to check to see what's open. From the pictures I saw of the area after the flood, It might take more than a year to fix things.

AlabamaTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
wildbyon wrote:
Our favorite area is Silverton-Ouray-Telluride. Absolutely georgeous scenery

YES YES AND YES!!!
Lawrence, Dianne "Roll Tide"

Windwalker55
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
Windwalker55 wrote:
It is also an easy drive to Telluride and Salida, two other interesting towns to visit.

Telluride is a four hour drive from Buena Vista. You'd do better to pick a spot around Ouray or Durango to visit Telluride.

You're right. I meant Leadville. I don't know why I put down Telluride.

Thanks for catching that.
2007 Kodiak 160 Hybrid
"The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir
My Blog

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Many of us who lived in CO did not recommend Tiger Run. Us, personally, for a couple of reasons (after two stays). One, it seems there was always something not working right but, of course, no price adjustment. And second, they are the only show in town and this can be reflected in pricing and attitude. But we like the Breck area but not nearly as much as many of the other places mentioned. Back then we had a couple of high altitude hikes we wanted to do and that was why we stayed there.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

RockyRoadCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Agree. Buena Vista is centrally located in a scenic area and we hope to spend more time there in the future.hiC

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking at spending time in Breckenridge I would recommend Tiger Run. It is close to town on a river with great views. We enjoyed our stay there in April
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Crested Butte is also worth a visit.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Windwalker55 wrote:
It is also an easy drive to Telluride and Salida, two other interesting towns to visit.

Telluride is a four hour drive from Buena Vista. You'd do better to pick a spot around Ouray or Durango to visit Telluride.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Windwalker55
Explorer
Explorer
We work camped at the Buena Vista KOA a couple of summers ago. It is a great area to visit. We did everything from climbing a couple of 14ers, hiking, rafting, renting ATVs, and horseback riding. There are ghost towns and some great fishing, plus a lot of mountain roads to explore as well as some hot springs to enjoy. The KOA is a very nice campground with full hookups at a lot of sites. If you need 50 amp you should be sure and specify that though, there are only a couple of 50 amp sites.
Here is a link to the campground.

Buena Vista KOA

Here is a link to the chamber of commerce site.

Buena Vista CO

2007 Kodiak 160 Hybrid
"The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir
My Blog

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
Durango-Silverton-Ouray

Anywhere on Route 50. From Canyon City, over Monarch, to Grand Junction.

Gunnison-Lake City-Creede.

That is about two years worth of Summers without getting North of the Interstate.

X2 Ridgeway state park is nice. Lots of beautiful drives (Million dollar Highway 550) and great parks.

RockyRoadCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Colorado is for hikers. Best place in the country to hike to 14,000 ft. asl. The tundra, land without trees is beautiful. Take your time the first 7-10 days getting use to the altitude. Be in shape before you arrive in Colorado. I am 67 and a heart patient, so if I can do mt. hiking, you can too. My single favorite place in CO is RMNP. There are so many wonderful trails there. Neptune Mountaineering in Boulder has everything you need for hiking. I am talking mostly about day hiking as the packs get too heavy for multi-day hikes. Buy the best boots you can. In fact good gear makes all the difference. Get out see the country get some exercise sleep good loose some wt.