cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida Panhandle ocean front camping

jimwooster
Explorer
Explorer
After leaving New Orleans we want to spend a few days at a nice campground in the panhandle of Florida. Would like something ocean front and close to beaches. Any thoughts?
26 REPLIES 26

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Ho Hum RV park in Carrabelle, would not stay again and would never describe it as nice. It is right on the water but is really designed for fishing. There is no beach but great views. We drove through Carrabelle RV park, it is much nicer and just across the street from a nice sandy beach.

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
Bob, here's a clicky.

Clicky
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

soricobob
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes the best answer is with the fewest words;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX3DdC5fgpM

Aadkins101
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at an Carrabelle Beach RV Park last February. Right out in front is a lovely beach (run by the city, I believe) - all you have to do is cross the road. Dogs allowed. A good mid-way point to stay to take advantage of all the places of interest that have been mentioned previously.

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
Henderson Beach State park in Destin is ocean front. The campsites are not right on the beach in that you get to the water via boardwalks for protection of the dunes and foliage.

They have nice facilities, i.e. restrooms and shelters.
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
We go to Emerald Beach often because it's on the sound across from the best beaches we've ever been on. Check it.

autiger74
Explorer
Explorer
I love Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores, Al. It is a short drive from the beach, but the campground is very new(old one was destroyed by hurricane a few years ago) and very nice.

northmeck0255
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
northmeck0255 wrote:
Do you guys not worry about excessive corrosion to the rig from being so exposed to salt spray? I have enough problems with rust on a 1989 bus that parking it directly on the beach is the LAST thing I'd want to do. We love to go to Edisto, Ocean Lakes, etc. but in those places there is a buffer between the campsite and the ocean.

You generally aren't parked there long enough for the salt spray to cause a problem. The chloride salts used to de-ice roadways cause far more problems than salt spray from a vacation. Just wash your rig down and don't park it in standing salt water.

St. Mark's is a great place to visit. Terrific seafood and a nice, quiet, relaxing place to go beach combing. I highly recommend it.

I am experiencing the joy of road salt damage as we speak. Our bus was previously located in Upstate NY and the damage repair is in progress.
2010 Airstream 27FB Classic Limited
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
Camp Gulf does have beach front sites, but Labor Day weekend and the first week of October is is pretty well booked up.
2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
northmeck0255 wrote:
Do you guys not worry about excessive corrosion to the rig from being so exposed to salt spray? I have enough problems with rust on a 1989 bus that parking it directly on the beach is the LAST thing I'd want to do. We love to go to Edisto, Ocean Lakes, etc. but in those places there is a buffer between the campsite and the ocean.

You generally aren't parked there long enough for the salt spray to cause a problem. The chloride salts used to de-ice roadways cause far more problems than salt spray from a vacation. Just wash your rig down and don't park it in standing salt water.

St. Mark's is a great place to visit. Terrific seafood and a nice, quiet, relaxing place to go beach combing. I highly recommend it.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

northmeck0255
Explorer
Explorer
2010 Airstream 27FB Classic Limited
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Dolphin Island.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Taplep
Explorer
Explorer
St Joseph State Park in the Gulf Breeze campground has sites that are very close to the beach. Google Earth will give you a great view of the campground and others you want to view on the Panhandle
2010 KZ Sportsman S272BH
2010 Toyota Tundra Double Cab

Eycom
Explorer
Explorer
Ho-Hum RV Park, east of Carrabelle, is directly on the water and offers some waterfront sites. They have a 250' lighted fishing pier and their beach area is small. However, there are numerous longer beach areas along Hwy 98 that you can pull over, go for a walk, drop a line, or take a dip.

The stretch of Hwy 98 from Mexico Beach, east to St. Marks Lighthouse, is known as the "Forgotten Coast". It's reminiscent of the Florida coastline some 60 years ago. No high-rise condos... just beach houses on stilts and miles of sandy white beaches. You'll pass through numerous small fishing villages. A small working waterfront keeps the local fish houses stocked with fresh seafood. So, the local dives have good food and the locals can get fresh seafood at below supermarket prices. If you hit the season right, you can find some gator tail.

You'll also find roadside stands with fresh fruits and vegetable that are in season. Some will have local gourmet sauces and preserves. The area in renown for Tupelo honey, the gold standard of measurement, the only honey that won't granulate.

If you make it to the eastern boundary, be sure to visit Edward Ball Wakulla Springs SP. It's one of the largest natural springs in the world, a nice relaxing day trip. No Camping. However, you can find FHUs at nearby Myron B. Hodge, a city park on the Sopchoppy River in the town of Sopchoppy, FL. Approx 15 W/E on the river and 15 FHUs along the fence, $15/night. The pace is real slow and the traffic is light.
RVn Full-time