cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gettysburg Campground

KCerling
Explorer
Explorer
I have never before been charged extra for showing early at a campground We arrived at 1 pm but were informed that check in is at 3 pm. We were charged $10 for this. The campground is 3/4 empty on a Tuesday.This should be noted in the Good Sam Campground book.
2002 Phaeton
2007 Jeep
Retired and loving it
25 REPLIES 25

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Although they could have given you a break (provided it really wasn't full) in all fairness, this policy is on their website. We've stayed at Gettysburg cg several times in the past and plan to go there again this year. Overall, it's a really nice campground and the staff is friendly.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not a campground owner... but in my mind this is a poor policy. If you are checking in 2 hours early, there should be no charge if the site is empty and the campground doesn't have to do any cleaning or anything.

Now, if check in is at 3pm and you show up at 8am, I could understand charging you $10.

We actually like Gettysburg Campground and are going there in 5 weeks. We generally get there around 2 or 3 and have never had any problems. Its frustrating to hear that this is an issue... hopefully its a new employee that didn't know they had some discretion in this charge.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
This kind of policy is not unusual, but at the same time we've arrived at campgrounds early and have yet to be tagged extra for it. I, too, would like to know which Gettysburg CG it was.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Saw a charge like that in the printed material also this summer at a couple of places. One was at the KOA in the Hershey, PA area:

"Early arrivals may be charged $3.00 base + $1.00/hr they are early. (Maximum $10.00)"

debrick
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen this twice this summer.

Recently at the KOA in Cleveland, TN -- hubby was in the area for a couple of weeks for work -- he brought the camper with him but stayed in a hotel during the week -- that weekend I came to TN Thursday Evening about 6:00 (from KY) to spend the weekend--earlier that day Hubby took the camper to the KOA on his lunch break (around Noon)and asked if he could set-up and leave to come back in a few hours -- they were not busy at all -- no one on the site we were going to. They told him it was $10 for early check in. He just paid it -- set-up and went back to work for a few hours.

Also saw this at Jelly Stone CG in Nashville this past May.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious, was it a government campground?
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I would have pulled a chair up in the nice air conditionined office and waited. Of course I would be having a pointless conversation with them taking up their time as well. Heck, I'm on vacation what's the rush. Guaranteed after 20-30 minutes you would be on your way to the campsite with your $10. I know it's only $10 but you have to have fun
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

You might want to post the name of the campground here and also right a review at rvparkreviews.com. I for one would like to know this this information about campgrounds and RV parks.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I think that they could be a little flexible because it is difficult to time arrival. That said, you are using their facilities for additional time and that is all they have to sell. They can't be in business and give away their product.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
An early arrival fee is just an excuse to get into the customer's wallet, especially when the campground was mostly empty. That campground must have been taking lessons from the airline industry!

If that campground was mostly empty, others were as well. I would have been tempted to go elsewhere.

The_Painting_Te
Explorer
Explorer
We camped from '81 - '84 and from '05 - present .... I have never been charged for showing up early.