cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ice/Snow on roof at departure time

golfknut
Explorer
Explorer
We are taking our first snowbird trip this winter with a planned departure date of late December.

I was thinking about strong possibility of there being snow and ice on the roof of our motorhome when we want to leave.

I want to avoid the prospect of driving down the highway spewing ice and snow chunks on vehicles behind us.

I do have an aluminum roof rake for the house (which I could modify with a softer edge to prevent damaging the motorhome roof) which I could use to clean off the motorhome but I would prefer not to use it. Or at least use it only to pull off the top stuff and not get close to the actual roof surface. I can just picture myself catching a hidden roof or plumbing vent and causing damage.

I was wondering how much roof melt-off of ice and snow there would be if I turned on the furnace and let the inside temperature get up into the 60's or so? Would there be any melting of roof snow at that temp?
2018 Newmar Canyon Star 3513
27 REPLIES 27

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
All58Parks wrote:
I've seen snow blowing off semi's many times, didn't really seem to be a hazard. I think if someone is close enough that ice falling off your roof will damage their car, they are following WAY too close and it's their own fault. Now, your own toad is a whole different story.

I've wanted to remove snow off my roof before pulling the trailer into a garage, to avoid a giant puddle indoors. I tried the furnace trick, didn't work at all. I also tried a hose with water. It worked but it took a lot of time and water. Finally I just put it inside and then dealt with the lake that formed.

And when I am meeting a semi on a 2 lane I am too close also,looks like it is ok if the ice and snow hit or blind another motorist but not ok if it might hit the toad,hmm.You gotta love it.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Water-Bug wrote:
Do what we did, leave the first week of November. ๐Ÿ™‚

Or better yet Oct. Like we did. Missed the snow in MN by a few hours.
pawatt

All58Parks
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen snow blowing off semi's many times, didn't really seem to be a hazard. I think if someone is close enough that ice falling off your roof will damage their car, they are following WAY too close and it's their own fault. Now, your own toad is a whole different story.

I've wanted to remove snow off my roof before pulling the trailer into a garage, to avoid a giant puddle indoors. I tried the furnace trick, didn't work at all. I also tried a hose with water. It worked but it took a lot of time and water. Finally I just put it inside and then dealt with the lake that formed.
2014 Wildcat Maxx 26bhs
2014 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Do what we did, leave the first week of November. ๐Ÿ™‚

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
It is simple do as others have suggested and go to a truck wash,if you go late enough and talk to the owner he may let you leave it in to thaw over night,no matter DON'T be a road hazard or taking a chance on wrecking your roof also increasing your fuel useage. And if anyone thinks following the example of a semi trucker is wise in breaking the law have at it,doesn't impress me.

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
ScottnSherrie wrote:
Scrolled through the posts so sorry if I missed this suggestion. Get a tarp (or two spliced together) and cover the roof if the forecast calls for snow. Be sure to have several ropes tied to the eyelets. Before you leave, pull off the snow and ice laden tarp.

You could pull down vents or anything else froze to the tarp also.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

past-MIdirector
Explorer
Explorer
We have two do it yourself car washes in the area that have large RV bays so for a couple of bucks I clear the roof with high pressure water from the ground if needed since we also tow a toad!!

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We cover ours with a Sunshield tarp black side up. Helps melt small amounts of ice/snow but not six inches of the stuff. Also allows use of a snow rake or squeegee or broom to brush off some of the snow from the ground or a ladder because the snow tends to slide right off. Less damage to roof components.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
My experiences. Had a 3/4 ton truck with 8' pop up camper (now have a travel trailer). I live in Wyoming (and for three years in Fairbanks, AK).

In Wyoming usually the wind blows and where I parked/stored the camper the snow didn't stay long after a storm so not really an issue (excess weight etc.). But when on the truck and a Spring storm dropped heavy wet snow that didn't want to melt fast or blow off, it was a problem. Weight (very heavy snow) caused noticeable high-center of gravity. I didn't like that, or the concern of leaking from puddling under the snow. Carefully used a push broom from a step ladder alongside the camper. Helped some, but it was really stuck on (hydrostatic adhesion). But getting some off helped the weight issue. No damage that time.

Next in Fairbanks. The snow doesn't melt all winter. Maybe three feet high by spring. By spring I'm concerned about weight. Used broom and plastic snow shovel, gently! My roof was obstruction free except one vent cover. I knew about the cover, and exactly where it was. I clipped it both times (each spring) and had to replace it both times.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem a couple of years ago - I left the slides out and it snowed. I ran the furnace and the snow melted a bit then turned to ice over the next night (insulation was too good!). I ended up running a hose from a hot water connection and using the hot water nozzle to melt the snow/ice, waited for some of the water to run off, then closed the slides before the water froze again.

It should work on a roof as well. Maybe you could try a pressure washer with hot water (and a "gentle" nozzle), might work quicker. For those of you in the north, don't forget to winterize the pressure washer after (don't ask me how I know!).

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some of that "snow" can melt and build up some pretty thick heavy pieces of ice. I took my MH to a local truck stop that has a wash rack to clear the snow & ice. I'm sure in your area there is a truck wash that would do it. Better safe then sorry. Blowing snow isn't bad, but thick ice can penetrate a windshield at 55mph plus. You'll find that most States can and will ticket for this type of hazard. The fine may not be much, but how would you feel about causing a serious accident where someone could lose their life.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

roscoe
Explorer
Explorer
I always have the wife or MIL climb up and clean the ice or leaves off the roof. Just remind them to be careful.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I thought some truck washes would de-ice the roof. Call around.
Otherwise I would melt it off with water if legally required.

I have had plenty of snow and ice build up while the trailer is in use and heated to 65-75. Used warm water to clear the slide. Roof melted on the road.

trigley
Explorer
Explorer
golfknut wrote:
We are taking our first snowbird trip this winter with a planned departure date of late December.

I was wondering how much roof melt-off of ice and snow there would be if I turned on the furnace and let the inside temperature get up into the 60's or so? Would there be any melting of roof snow at that temp?

We don't tow but sometimes use our unit for 4 or 5 days with snow cover. The snow does melt somewhat but does not disappear in that time frame. Exterior temperature would have a bearing.

I would be concerned heating the unit could create more ice if the temperature is below freezing when you do leave.