cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

If Trailer Village, Grand Canyon is full ...

Kentucky__Jo
Explorer
Explorer
Where is your second choice of places to stay. Prefer full hookup, but can make do with just electric. Not worried about campground activities. Want safe, clean, quiet (if possible ) park as close to Grand Canyon south rim,as we can get.
15 REPLIES 15

Kentucky__Jo
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
How much power do you need?
Have you thought about an inverter?
DH says he prefers electric if at all possible, but thanks for the suggestion. Guess we aren't true "campers"!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You can get a small inverter at WalMart that plugs into a cigarette lighter to recharge things. We recharged our computer that way. Just trying to give you options on various types of camping.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
How much power do you need?
Have you thought about an inverter?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Kentucky__Jo
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Kentucky _Jo wrote:
mittshel wrote:
We stay at TenX FS CG in Tusayan. Electric only and a dump station. It is about 10 miles south of Grand Canyon. It is so quiet and has wonderful walking trails. There is a first come first serve area and we always get a spot. We like to go there even if we are not going to the Canyon. Betsy.
Betsy, I can't find any info on TenX having electric. Has this been added recently?

How long will you stay? Do you really need electric for a short time? If not, try Mather campground in the park or Desert View (which doesn't accept reservations but get there early and perhaps get a site. We've done that.)
yes, we need electric. Dh has Parkinson so needs to recharge his battery in brain stimulator.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Kentucky _Jo wrote:
mittshel wrote:
We stay at TenX FS CG in Tusayan. Electric only and a dump station. It is about 10 miles south of Grand Canyon. It is so quiet and has wonderful walking trails. There is a first come first serve area and we always get a spot. We like to go there even if we are not going to the Canyon. Betsy.
Betsy, I can't find any info on TenX having electric. Has this been added recently?

How long will you stay? Do you really need electric for a short time? If not, try Mather campground in the park or Desert View (which doesn't accept reservations but get there early and perhaps get a site. We've done that.)
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry. You're right. Dry camping. We used our generator. Guess that is why I thought we had electric. It is so worth it. Plus $10 for old people with a National parks card. Betsy.
Betsy

Kentucky__Jo
Explorer
Explorer
mittshel wrote:

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
Betsy

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The bottom of the canyon! Getting down is easy, getting up is a different story!!!!;)

Seriously, Iโ€™ll follow this one. This is my next trip west I want to do.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Stayed at both Trailer Village inside the park and Camper Village in Tusayan. Agree Trailer Village is better but Camper Village was not bad at all. If I couldnโ€™t get in to TV, Iโ€™d not hesitate to stay at CV.

Kentucky__Jo
Explorer
Explorer
accsys wrote:
You need to make your reservations as soon as possible after determining your dates as you may need to alter those dates depending on availability. Like was said Williams is an alternative but it is an hour or more from the South Rim, depending on traffic. There is Grand Canyon Camper Village just south of the park in Tusayan but haven't stayed there. There is also Flintstones near the intersection of AZ 69 and US 180, about half way between Williams and the South Rim. Again we haven't stayed there so can't say much about it, but it didn't look like much when we went by this summer.

Trailer Village inside the park is much more desirable as you don't lose so much time getting to and from the canyon and the shuttle bus stops right at the campground so you don't waste a lot of time searching for a parking spot. Depending on when you are going that can be a real zoo! I would make my reservations there then plan the rest of the trip around those dates.
There is no availability at Trailer Village in Sept. at this point. I can keep checking back, but was just checking into alternative places to stay. I did see places at Williams. Was just wondering if there was anything I didn't know about. Yes, we at least need electric as my husband has Parkinson and needs to charge his brain stimulator.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kentucky _Jo wrote:
Where is your second choice of places to stay. Prefer full hookup, but can make do with just electric. Not worried about campground activities. Want safe, clean, quiet (if possible ) park as close to Grand Canyon south rim,as we can get.

Trailer Village inside the park, and Grand Canyon Camper Village just outside the park are the 2 closest places with hookups. Of the two, Trailer Village is the better choice.

Do you absolutely have to have hookups? If not, consider some of the alternatives H E R E - Grand Canyon. Of note are Mather, which is practically next door to Trailer Village (and has showers and laudry facilities), and Desert View at the east entrance to the park coming in from Cameron on AZ 64.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
You need to make your reservations as soon as possible after determining your dates as you may need to alter those dates depending on availability. Like was said Williams is an alternative but it is an hour or more from the South Rim, depending on traffic. There is Grand Canyon Camper Village just south of the park in Tusayan but haven't stayed there. There is also Flintstones near the intersection of AZ 69 and US 180, about half way between Williams and the South Rim. Again we haven't stayed there so can't say much about it, but it didn't look like much when we went by this summer.

Trailer Village inside the park is much more desirable as you don't lose so much time getting to and from the canyon and the shuttle bus stops right at the campground so you don't waste a lot of time searching for a parking spot. Depending on when you are going that can be a real zoo! I would make my reservations there then plan the rest of the trip around those dates.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
In the past, many people have suggested Williams and take the train. I paid a lot of attention to comments about this when planning a trip out there, but it is now on hold for at least a year.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.